Author Topic: Nationals Park Questions  (Read 243409 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Nationals Park Questions
« Reply #1400: May 14, 2019, 04:16:58 PM »
I am pretty good at picking up chicks. Literally, you just have to pick them up. It’s that easy.

(Image removed from quote.)

Doesn't look like proper military technique.      :)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1401: May 14, 2019, 04:38:29 PM »

He's staying hydrated at least.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #1402: May 14, 2019, 04:40:59 PM »

At some point form goes out the window and it’s all about function. Trust me, things were functioning that night.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1403: May 14, 2019, 04:41:55 PM »
At some point form goes out the window and it’s all about function. Trust me, things were functioning that night.

:lol:   Improvise

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1404: May 15, 2019, 11:25:01 AM »
The Nats are honoring the 50th anniversary of the moon landing this summer, really cool. In August they'll also have 50th tributes for Woodstock & Manson. The spirit of 69 lives on.

https://airandspace.si.edu/apollo-park

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1405: May 15, 2019, 12:28:46 PM »
The Nats are honoring the 50th anniversary of the moon landing this summer, really cool. In August they'll also have 50th tributes for Woodstock & Manson. The spirit of 69 lives on.

Nice...

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1406: May 15, 2019, 03:44:04 PM »
I wish there had been such effort to honor what happened in 1968, for the greatest American in my lifetime was shot in 1968

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1407: May 15, 2019, 04:26:40 PM »

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1408: May 15, 2019, 05:14:25 PM »
Celebrate the draft lottery.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1409: May 26, 2019, 11:35:45 AM »
If you are looking for a good spot to pre-game and post-game, the alley behind Leo's is the place. If you are wondering why Nats Park service is slow you'll find your answer there too.

https://twitter.com/Officer_Wife/with_replies

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1412: June 20, 2019, 02:04:03 PM »
I don't love it, but I sat in the Delta Club for Father's Day and the netting affected my enjoyment of the game not one bit.  So I guess I don't care.

How do we feel about this? It doesn't affect me from my seats.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #1413: June 20, 2019, 03:37:12 PM »
How do we feel about this? It doesn't affect me from my seats.

I have seats in 113 that will be affected by this. My seats are three rows from the field right outside of the visitor dugouts.

I don't have a problem with this at all. We've had a few close calls down there and I welcome the protection. And I don't want to hear the crap about "just pay attention and you will be fine."

Sometimes the ball comes at you so fast you just don't have time to get out of the way. And, yes, occasionally you take your eye off the action on the field.

The netting doesn't affect your enjoyment of the game at all. I've also sat in other seats behind the netting and it did not affect my view at all.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1414: June 20, 2019, 03:51:47 PM »
I have seats in 113 that will be affected by this. My seats are three rows from the field right outside of the visitor dugouts.

I don't have a problem with this at all. We've had a few close calls down there and I welcome the protection. And I don't want to hear the crap about "just pay attention and you will be fine."

Sometimes the ball comes at you so fast you just don't have time to get out of the way. And, yes, occasionally you take your eye off the action on the field.

The netting doesn't affect your enjoyment of the game at all. I've also sat in other seats behind the netting and it did not affect my view at all.
Agree. You can also be screened by someone who ducks at the last minute and you get clocked. No one notices the netting once the game starts.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1415: June 20, 2019, 03:52:39 PM »

I think that people who say "just pay attention" or "get off your phone" are just dumb. there is no way anyone can pay 100 percent attention all the time, and even if they could, most people do not have the reaction time to avoid a 100 mph projectile.

That being said. The risk of being seriously injured by a batted ball is incredibly low. And if you want to avoid that risk, probably 80 percent of the stadium has a zero or near zero risk of significant injury. So if your're super concerned about risk go sit in one of those seats. But in general, we as a society overestimate risk

This is a good business decision by the Nats, though. I'm making mostly a devil's advocate position. The overall cost to putting up netting is pretty low in terms of quality of experience.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1416: June 20, 2019, 04:34:28 PM »
The netting is less of an issue behind home and the dugouts where you are looking straight, it will have a bigger affect up the lines where you are viewing at an angle. Maybe the thinner netting will negate that.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1417: June 20, 2019, 04:53:09 PM »
No one has said "just pay attention" or "get off your phone" when it comes to serious safety issues.     Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste can't we find a different straw man or windmill?       

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1418: June 20, 2019, 04:55:37 PM »
No one has said "just pay attention" or "get off your phone".     Isn't it time to find a different straw man or windmill?   
When we get a roof no more yellin at the sky.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1419: June 20, 2019, 04:56:02 PM »

Only if it's retractable.    :)

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1420: June 20, 2019, 05:05:12 PM »
I’m hoping they add a roof just for the meltdowns we would see here!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1421: June 20, 2019, 05:07:31 PM »
I’m hoping they add a roof just for the meltdowns we would see here!

I'm certainly not an engineer but it would be interesting to see how they'd go about it.

OT   I have a friend who is/was a structural engineer.    We used to go to SLC to ski in the spring and visit another buddy.    We got tickets to see the Jazz and whoever every year in the old Salt Palace.    Every year our friend would explain how the roof was designed.    It was actually pretty interesting but we never pretended it was.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #1422: June 20, 2019, 06:14:57 PM »
I think that people who say "just pay attention" or "get off your phone" are just dumb. there is no way anyone can pay 100 percent attention all the time, and even if they could, most people do not have the reaction time to avoid a 100 mph projectile.

I used to be of this mindset, but that was before I had a couple chances to sit a few rows behind the dugout. I’ve seen some come screaming in that I couldn’t avoid being fully attentive, fully sober and only concerned with my own safety. Drinks/Food/Kids would only make that harder. I’ve been lucky enough to sit in the Delta Club and the Diamond Club a few times each this year and I’ll take a net over getting smoke checked by a foul ball any day.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1423: June 20, 2019, 07:10:14 PM »
I used to be of this mindset, but that was before I had a couple chances to sit a few rows behind the dugout. I’ve seen some come screaming in that I couldn’t avoid being fully attentive, fully sober and only concerned with my own safety. Drinks/Food/Kids would only make that harder. I’ve been lucky enough to sit in the Delta Club and the Diamond Club a few times each this year and I’ll take a net over getting smoke checked by a foul ball any day.

And another observation, sometimes balls are deflected by another fan, so to think you can react to a ball deflected an instant before cracking you in the nose is beyond absurd. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1424: June 21, 2019, 10:14:48 AM »
You'd kind of like the reaction to have been, "hey, great, we have modern ways of keeping people safe that do not really interfere with enjoying the game. Let's do it!"  I suppose the screens could be a bit of an obstruction if you look straight down the screen say from the pole towards behind the plate (the mesh will look solid), but otherwise, the netting is unnoticeable.