Author Topic: Nationals Park Questions  (Read 244278 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Nationals Park Questions
« Reply #1200: July 16, 2018, 09:52:46 AM »
"The Nationals say 80 percent of their fans come from the suburbs — 45 percent from Virginia and 35 percent from Maryland."

I was surprised at the 35% number.

Great article. Thanks for posting. Has been a few years since I have been to a game so it's remarkable to see what has happened.

Displacing the poor is a common problem to any urban development.  You basically just price them out of the area. And the traffic!

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1201: July 16, 2018, 10:15:31 AM »
"The Nationals say 80 percent of their fans come from the suburbs — 45 percent from Virginia and 35 percent from Maryland."

I was surprised at the 35% number.

At first blush that may indeed sound odd, but couple that with declining attendance at Orioles matches (some specific attendances even being in 4 digits) and many Marylanders may indeed be starting to abandon the Orioles in favour of the Nats, with such issues as the Orioles' horrible record this year and the way this Manny Machado soap opera has been dragging on (everybody hates long goodbyes - this should have been sorted long ago).

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #1202: July 16, 2018, 01:57:11 PM »
It really is an awesome place to visit now. Tons of good restaurants.

Just in time for the ASG. It will be even more amazing in a couple of years.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1205: July 16, 2018, 07:01:25 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/sports/nationals-park-brings-growth-worries-to-southeast-washington/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.052f41c0a2ea

Spend a billion of city money on redevelopment of a blighted area and I'd hope to see some revitalization. Seems like waterfront property walking distance from the Capitol could have been revitalized for less.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1206: July 16, 2018, 10:10:44 PM »
How long have you lived in the DC area ?  Do you remember the drug wars and cocaine trade ?  DC used to be shown on TV as being the dangerous place in the country and it's irony with Capitol Hill.

Spend a billion of city money on redevelopment of a blighted area and I'd hope to see some revitalization. Seems like waterfront property walking distance from the Capitol could have been revitalized for less.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1207: July 16, 2018, 10:38:15 PM »

Not sure I am on board with your estimate.  Source?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1208: July 16, 2018, 10:54:56 PM »
Not sure I am on board with your estimate.  Source?

Includes 30 years of maintenance. Not going to look up the numbers tonight, original cost was over $700 million.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1209: July 17, 2018, 09:01:56 AM »
Includes 30 years of maintenance. Not going to look up the numbers tonight, original cost was over $700 million.

Stadium itself was $450m, correct?  Also, you need to consider revenue streams that mitigate the initial outlay.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1210: July 17, 2018, 09:03:12 AM »
Stadium itself was $450m, correct?  Also, you need to consider revenue streams that mitigate the initial outlay.

450? Only in the very early estimates.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1211: July 17, 2018, 09:04:13 AM »
450? Only in the very early estimates.

I thought the finished product came in around $650m.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1212: July 17, 2018, 09:18:27 AM »
I thought the finished product came in around $650m.

Over 600 in construction costs. Over 150 in maintenance. That's for the ballpark, in the discussion of ballpark area revitalization the area infrastructure costs should be included, which would then approach a billion. Pick any warehouse district, kick out the existing businesses, and construct a giant building to give to a giant company with tons of customers and the area will be revived like magic.

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2016/03/04/10710/maintenance-costs-on-nationals-park-to-bring-citys-tab-to-more-than-700m/

Offline machpost

« Reply #1213: July 18, 2018, 08:06:16 AM »
Now that development is finally pushing westward, I've been wondering if there's any chance of Fort McNair being redeveloped eventually.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1214: July 18, 2018, 08:17:24 AM »
Now that development is finally pushing westward, I've been wondering if there's any chance of Fort McNair being redeveloped eventually.

Doubtful since it’s still an active army post.

Offline machpost

« Reply #1215: July 18, 2018, 08:25:15 AM »

Though wasn't much of the Navy Yard neighborhood once part of an active post? I'm also thinking of the huge Walter Reed campus being redeveloped.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1216: July 18, 2018, 08:44:29 AM »
Though wasn't much of the Navy Yard neighborhood once part of an active post? I'm also thinking of the huge Walter Reed campus being redeveloped.

I can’t help you on what were the original boundaries of the Navy Yard and subsequent redevelopment. Walter Reed was closed in the latest round of BRAC closings about 10 years ago. I don’t know if there are additional closings planned for the future.

Closing Walter Reed brought a tear to my eye since I was born there and spent a couple of summers in college working on the grounds crew cutting grass. In typical government fashion they paid almost triple the minimum wage.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1217: July 18, 2018, 10:22:27 PM »
I worked on the BRAC process in the 1990's while working for the Defense IG.  It's definitely possible Fort McNair could be closed and the land sold as development demands show the feds what $$$ could be made by closing Fort McNair.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1218: July 19, 2018, 02:17:05 PM »
Has anybody been up to Top of the Yard, the rooftop bar on top the Hampton Inn? 

Had a friend who watched the HRD from up there, really liked it.  They had a private party for the game (MLB.com) but some select other individuals were permitted in (his wife knew a bartender).

http://www.totydc.com/

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #1219: July 19, 2018, 03:14:11 PM »
I went there once two years ago.  I remember the service sucked.  Wasn't crowded at all and took 15-20 minutes to get a drink.  Finished said drink and left.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1220: July 20, 2018, 12:38:52 AM »
Does anyone use binoculars at the stadium? I’m debating getting a pair for the games and wondering if they enhance the experience or if they would just be a pain to carry? I got the idea when I saw Charlie and Dave using them when I was in the booth.

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #1221: July 20, 2018, 05:27:35 AM »
Does anyone use binoculars at the stadium?

Yes

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #1222: July 20, 2018, 08:16:33 AM »
Does anyone use binoculars at the stadium? I’m debating getting a pair for the games and wondering if they enhance the experience or if they would just be a pain to carry? I got the idea when I saw Charlie and Dave using them when I was in the booth.

I used binoculars when I went to Redskins games way back when. They are definitely worth it but you are right they can be a pain to carry. So buy a smaller pair. I suspect the technology has gotten very good so that should not be a problem. You got me thinking it might be fun to buy a pair and throw them in my backpack that I bring to games. It also depends where your seat are, obviously. If you are in the upper deck they might be worth it.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1223: July 20, 2018, 08:45:49 AM »

I have Bushnell 8 X 23 small binoculars.    They say they're for birdwatchin' but they're small and not burdensome  ...   around the neck or in your backpack.    I seldom take 'em to the stadium but it sounds they may meet your need.

Offline machpost

« Reply #1224: July 20, 2018, 03:58:12 PM »
Has anybody been up to Top of the Yard, the rooftop bar on top the Hampton Inn? 

Had a friend who watched the HRD from up there, really liked it.  They had a private party for the game (MLB.com) but some select other individuals were permitted in (his wife knew a bartender).

http://www.totydc.com/

I've been there once. Drinks were small and pretty expensive. It's a cool space, but I've never had the urge to go back again.