Author Topic: Nationals Park Questions  (Read 244000 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Nationals Park Questions
« Reply #1100: May 05, 2018, 02:20:03 PM »
Finally was able to go to a game this year after being away a lot in April.  I'm disappointed no more Virginia stand.  They ought to add biscuits to change up chicken.  They do tenders already, so putting one in a biscuit with pickles and sauce shouldn't be hard.  I haven't figured out what my go to food will be.  As for beer, I'd rather have 2 12 ozs at a decent price than a 25 oz that seem to be pushing.  Is there a cheap option at the old red loft? 

our game last night was the first since 2016.  used spot hero to park underneath Bonchon on half street for $30 ($35 at the door).  Spent something like $40 in the N&S club for two BBQ sandwiches and a 16oz Devil's Backbone.  I don't know how you guys afford to go to a lot of games.  The roughly $175 I spent for me and my son (tickets were about $55 after service charges) just seemed ridiculous.   That being said, I can't wait to go to another game. :)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1101: May 05, 2018, 03:25:23 PM »
our game last night was the first since 2016.  used spot hero to park underneath Bonchon on half street for $30 ($35 at the door).  Spent something like $40 in the N&S club for two BBQ sandwiches and a 16oz Devil's Backbone.  I don't know how you guys afford to go to a lot of games.  The roughly $175 I spent for me and my son (tickets were about $55 after service charges) just seemed ridiculous.   That being said, I can't wait to go to another game. :)
the NS Club food mostly is nothing special.  I got the carved turkey, and for $14, it just isn't worth it.  I was looking for pretzel dogs around the stadium and couldn't find any this year, either.  Thank goodness for Max's, although you can't get that stuff on friday or saturday.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1102: May 05, 2018, 03:38:40 PM »
the NS Club food mostly is nothing special.  I got the carved turkey, and for $14, it just isn't worth it.  I was looking for pretzel dogs around the stadium and couldn't find any this year, either.  Thank goodness for Max's, although you can't get that stuff on friday or saturday.
I miss th carved turkey sandwiches. But at $14 not so much.

Offline imref

« Reply #1103: May 06, 2018, 01:13:39 PM »
When did the creepy large black and white picture of Max looming into the stadium get erected?  It would be even better if they lit up the eyes.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1104: May 06, 2018, 01:16:24 PM »
When did the creepy large black and white picture of Max looming into the stadium get erected?  It would be even better if they lit up the eyes.

Been there for several seasons...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1105: May 06, 2018, 03:02:23 PM »

Introduced on outfield wall in 2016 playoffs. Put in current location at beginning of last year.

http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/max-scherzer-graphic-eyes/327979

Offline imref

« Reply #1106: May 06, 2018, 03:38:18 PM »
Introduced on outfield wall in 2016 playoffs. Put in current location at beginning of last year.

http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/max-scherzer-graphic-eyes/327979

Thanks. 

Offline machpost

« Reply #1107: May 07, 2018, 10:14:00 AM »
Finally was able to go to a game this year after being away a lot in April.  I'm disappointed no more Virginia stand.  They ought to add biscuits to change up chicken.  They do tenders already, so putting one in a biscuit with pickles and sauce shouldn't be hard.  I haven't figured out what my go to food will be.  As for beer, I'd rather have 2 12 ozs at a decent price than a 25 oz that seem to be pushing.  Is there a cheap option at the old red loft? 

The food selection has definitely taken a step backward this season, especially in the upper deck. The Virginia biscuit stand is gone, along with Boardwalk Fries, the Chinese dumplings stand, the two Mike Isabella concepts (though I had mixed feelings on these) and the pretzel place where you could get a decent half smoke pretzel dog. Prices seem to have gone up across the board, and significantly. This is the first season I've made a conscious effort to avoid buying food at the ballpark whenever possible. The beer vendors I've talked to are feeling the pinch, too. The 25oz cans are a lot harder to sell.

I caught one of the Nats' games at AT&T Park two weeks ago. The selection and quality of food and beer at that ballpark really puts Nats Park to shame. They should be embarrassed. They likely know how much better it is at other ballparks, so I can only assume they just don't care.

Offline imref

« Reply #1108: May 07, 2018, 11:05:54 AM »
I caught one of the Nats' games at AT&T Park two weeks ago. The selection and quality of food and beer at that ballpark really puts Nats Park to shame. They should be embarrassed. They likely know how much better it is at other ballparks, so I can only assume they just don't care.

did you get garlic fries?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1109: May 07, 2018, 11:38:49 AM »
The food selection has definitely taken a step backward this season, especially in the upper deck. The Virginia biscuit stand is gone, along with Boardwalk Fries, the Chinese dumplings stand, the two Mike Isabella concepts (though I had mixed feelings on these) and the pretzel place where you could get a decent half smoke pretzel dog. Prices seem to have gone up across the board, and significantly. This is the first season I've made a conscious effort to avoid buying food at the ballpark whenever possible. The beer vendors I've talked to are feeling the pinch, too. The 25oz cans are a lot harder to sell.[...]

...and at $15 a go, that is quite understandable - especially since the in-stand vendors only take cash. One may as well stick to Base Line Brews where they at least take plastic for payment. (On at least one recent Nats Park visit I did not recall seeing any in-stand vendors - I wonder if the ballpark management is trying to phase them out.)

Offline machpost

« Reply #1110: May 07, 2018, 11:41:21 AM »
did you get garlic fries?

I did not, and everyone tells me I missed out by not getting them.

Offline machpost

« Reply #1111: May 07, 2018, 11:42:30 AM »
(On at least one recent Nats Park visit I did not recall seeing any in-stand vendors - I wonder if the ballpark management is trying to phase them out.)

I'm seeing fewer and fewer of them as well.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #1112: May 07, 2018, 12:05:07 PM »

On at least one recent Nats Park visit I did not recall seeing any in-stand vendors - I wonder if the ballpark management is trying to phase them out.

I'm seeing fewer and fewer of them as well.

A lot of the in-stand vendors (plus the wait and bar staff in the Diamond and Delta Clubs) also work Caps and Wizards games, and their parent company has the contract for the new DC United stadium (Audi Field) when it opens, so if it seems like staffing levels are lower, this could be a factor.   I know with the club staff, they just go with a short staff for the day rather than trying to bring in someone untrained for one day's work, and I'd assume the beer vendors are handled the same way.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1113: May 07, 2018, 12:40:32 PM »
We were at the Park on Friday and bought a beer from a vendor, who spent a few seconds figuring out how we felt about the big cans (dislike), then made his case for why they are awful for the vendors.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1114: May 07, 2018, 01:17:11 PM »
What I have not heard is anyone who has said, "hey, I was a skeptic at first, but this is great and I'm doing it again."  I'll really like to see what happens when more folks are through the novelty phase.

Oh, and have they gotten rid of dollar dogs nights?

Offline wj73

« Reply #1115: May 07, 2018, 01:39:21 PM »
Not the pretzel dogs???!!!  That was one of my favorite treats.  :evil:

Offline imref

« Reply #1116: May 07, 2018, 01:41:48 PM »
What I have not heard is anyone who has said, "hey, I was a skeptic at first, but this is great and I'm doing it again."  I'll really like to see what happens when more folks are through the novelty phase.

Oh, and have they gotten rid of dollar dogs nights?

I saw $7 Nathan's hot dogs when I was there on Friday.  I could feed my family at least two meals for $7 worth of Nathan's hot dogs. :)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1117: May 08, 2018, 11:14:00 AM »
I saw $7 Nathan's hot dogs when I was there on Friday.  I could feed my family at least two meals for $7 worth of Nathan's hot dogs. :)

$7 for a hot dog? - holy moley! (the old Nats Dogs from various caterers were $4.50 in the TBSITH neighbourhood not that long ago). Combine that with beers at $15 in the stands or at Base Lien Brews and $13 at The Venue Formerly Known As The Red Porch, and  those are some price increases of near-preemptive levels...are they expecting concession customers to subsidise Harper's next contract?

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #1118: May 08, 2018, 11:19:57 AM »
You can still bring food in if wrapped. They sell dogs and peanuts an such on Half Street outside the centefield gates and bring it in or there is a bank in guest services where you can take out a concession stand loan

Offline NovaNat

« Reply #1119: May 09, 2018, 05:36:24 PM »
I was at the game last Wed and one of the beer guys was talking about the switch to the 25 oz. He said that nobody seemed to be happy with the new size. It sounded like the beer vendors were selling less overall. He mentioned that management was going to reevaluate this after the homestand.  Will be interesting to see if they make any changes going forward. 

Offline imref

« Reply #1120: May 09, 2018, 06:36:09 PM »
I was at the game last Wed and one of the beer guys was talking about the switch to the 25 oz. He said that nobody seemed to be happy with the new size. It sounded like the beer vendors were selling less overall. He mentioned that management was going to reevaluate this after the homestand.  Will be interesting to see if they make any changes going forward. 

Yes, they will be pouring out half the beer while keeping the price the same. :)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1121: May 09, 2018, 06:52:22 PM »

As a professional beer drinker, I find the 25 oz serving to be too much.    Ya spend time thinking about it gettin' warm/flat and don't spend enough time focusing on the game.    A 12 or 16 oz cup gives you a manageable cold beer.    Keg beer is always better.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #1122: May 09, 2018, 09:56:25 PM »

That's got to be hurting the vendors as far as tips go too. That's huge for them.

As for concession prices, everything is even dollar amounts now. So a small soda that used to be $5.50 is now $6. I think they raised the prices on pretty much everything. I bought a draft beer at the Devils Backbone loft or whatever it's called up on the 300 level and it was 16 bucks! I also feel the selections have gotten worse as well. I'm definitely less inclined to eat and drink the park this year.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1123: May 09, 2018, 09:59:14 PM »
That's got to be hurting the vendors as far as tips go too. That's huge for them.

As for concession prices, everything is even dollar amounts now. So a small soda that used to be $5.50 is now $6. I think they raised the prices on pretty much everything. I bought a draft beer at the Devils Backbone loft or whatever it's called up on the 300 level and it was 16 bucks! I also feel the selections have gotten worse as well. I'm definitely less inclined to eat and drink the park this year.

Unless the missus has me in tow, I never eat at the Park.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1124: May 09, 2018, 10:00:56 PM »
As a professional beer drinker, I find the 25 oz serving to be too much.    Ya spend time thinking about it gettin' warm/flat and don't spend enough time focusing on the game.    A 12 or 16 oz cup gives you a manageable cold beer.    Keg beer is always better.

I'm only semi-pro, but we buy beer at the bar in the Club. I like it.