Author Topic: Rob Manfred is a moron  (Read 5242 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Rob Manfred is a moron, thread
« Reply #50: February 25, 2015, 04:06:03 PM »

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #51: February 25, 2015, 07:17:03 PM »
Can anyone cite some study that says the owners will make more money if they reduce the number of games?

The owners opinions is the only thing that matters. Robert Madchild reports to them.

Offline whytev

« Reply #52: February 25, 2015, 08:47:17 PM »
Yes...

:-[

I might do math for a living, but I don't do it high.

Offline whytev

« Reply #53: February 25, 2015, 09:01:17 PM »
Baseball should go to a relegation system. Reduce the league to 20 teams, the bottom 10 have to play their way back in. The bottom two every year drop down, the top two in the pool of 10 come back up.

My girlfriend likes English Football, and this post made me think about this proposal all day.  I like it.

16 teams in the big league.

14 teams in the lower-down league.

16 major teams play their own league opponents 8 times each for 120 games, and the 14 lower down teams three times each for a total of 162 games.

14 lower teams play their own league opponents 8 time each for 104 games, and the 16 big club teams 3 times each for 48 more making 152 games.

Each league would have a West and an East division which might change every year a little based on who gets in and out, geographically.  Straight division race, no Wildcard.  The top two from the upper league play the World Series.

Four teams from each league switch at a minimum.  The two division winners and the two best wildcard teams advance (with exciting tiebreaker games), and the four worst records in the big league drop.

JUST FOR FUN if any lower down team sweeps the higher up team in the inter league series, they get that team's spot the next year.

Same union, same payroll, same draft system (all lower teams pick first), and you can be traded from league to league.

That would be cool.

Offline sph274

« Reply #54: February 26, 2015, 07:21:36 AM »
from what i understand, isnt that system much more prone to a set hierarchy? arent most of the guys on the crap teams just biding their time until they can jump up to the better ones? and i cant imagine the games in the bottom third are gonna make nearly as much cash, effectively killing their markets? Wont that just create even larger "super teams"? I dont pay much attention to ENglish football but in La Liga this totally kills the competitiveness, why bother watching when there are effectively like three teams who can win the cup?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #55: February 26, 2015, 09:17:02 AM »
from what i understand, isnt that system much more prone to a set hierarchy? arent most of the guys on the crap teams just biding their time until they can jump up to the better ones? and i cant imagine the games in the bottom third are gonna make nearly as much cash, effectively killing their markets? Wont that just create even larger "super teams"? I dont pay much attention to ENglish football but in La Liga this totally kills the competitiveness, why bother watching when there are effectively like three teams who can win the cup?

yes, but there are teams that move up and down (far more fluid than a AAA or an NBADL team moving up)

Offline whytev

« Reply #56: February 26, 2015, 03:08:29 PM »

Really, though, is that too much different to being on the Phillies right now?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #57: February 27, 2015, 12:04:19 PM »
DO NOT EXPAND THE PLAYOFFS.

Agreed...they go late enough into autumn as it is and if they go any deeper there is the risk of a World Series match getting snowed out, or something of that sort - building pressure to hold the Series in a neutral city (translation: always either someplace in the Sunbelt or in a hard-domed stadium) so the poor wittle toffs in their club seats won't fweeze their wittle tooshies off. (Whitey Herzog, for one, advocated playing the World Series on a neutral site as long ago as the late 1980's - he said 'the fans don't get to go to the games anyway so why not' or words to that effect.)

Offline whytev

« Reply #58: February 27, 2015, 01:21:53 PM »
Agreed...they go late enough into autumn as it is and if they go any deeper there is the risk of a World Series match getting snowed out, or something of that sort - building pressure to hold the Series in a neutral city (translation: always either someplace in the Sunbelt or in a hard-domed stadium) so the poor wittle toffs in their club seats won't fweeze their wittle tooshies off. (Whitey Herzog, for one, advocated playing the World Series on a neutral site as long ago as the late 1980's - he said 'the fans don't get to go to the games anyway so why not' or words to that effect.)

The playoffs can expand a bit if the regular season shrinks though.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #59: February 27, 2015, 02:06:21 PM »
The playoffs can expand a bit if the regular season shrinks though.
But they shouldn't.

I don't see any reason to add more playoff teams, or playoff games.

Offline whytev

« Reply #60: February 27, 2015, 02:16:24 PM »
But they shouldn't.

I don't see any reason to add more playoff teams, or playoff games.

There isn't one yet.

It's about ratios. If they add 2 more teams, it could happen.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #61: February 27, 2015, 02:39:25 PM »
There isn't one yet.

It's about ratios. If they add 2 more teams, it could happen.
There's no reason to add teams. 4 was plenty.

Offline whytev

« Reply #62: February 28, 2015, 02:11:28 AM »
There's no reason to add teams. 4 was plenty.

I'd be happy with the 30 team league lasting a long while.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #63: February 28, 2015, 10:12:47 AM »
I'd be happy with the 30 team league lasting a long while.
Oh, I thought you meant add 2 playoff teams. Sorry I got mad!

Offline whytev

« Reply #64: February 28, 2015, 05:23:21 PM »
Oh, I thought you meant add 2 playoff teams. Sorry I got mad!

Once you add more teams, eventually adding more playoff teams will make sense.

I didn't mean now though.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Rob Manfred is a moron
« Reply #65: March 01, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
Sorry, I haven't moderated in so long I had an itchy trigger finger and the " , thread" was making me crazy.

If one is calling Manfred out for being moronic, best not to have a moronic thread title.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #66: March 02, 2015, 04:24:30 AM »
terp hates me.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #67: March 02, 2015, 09:50:21 AM »
Terp is a grammer nazi, thread.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #68: March 02, 2015, 09:51:03 AM »
Top two teams from each league are in the World Serious, the rest are smoking dick on the freeway the second the season ends.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #69: March 02, 2015, 05:32:35 PM »
Terp is a grammer nazi, thread.

:doh:

:lol:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #70: March 02, 2015, 07:44:34 PM »

Offline RobDibblesGhost