Author Topic: Rob Manfred is a moron  (Read 5197 times)

Offline whytev

Re: Rob Manfred is a moron, thread
« Reply #25: February 24, 2015, 09:32:32 PM »
Also the schedule could stand a once over.

Current setup with 154 games:

Play the opposite league 2 times per team. Home against 7, road against 7, alternate them every year. A home and home series with your "natural rival" every year. (30 games).

Play a 4 game series at and another hosting every team in your league but not in your division. (80 games)

Play 11 games against every team in your division, with alternating home team advantage that switches every year. These can be split up however works.

It's ridiculous that the interleague play is unbalanced and arbitrary. I hate that it exists, but how it exists is even worse. Spread it out evenly and it will sell more tickets. We all know that is the point.

The heavy weighting of the divisions would be fine if there was no wildcard, but there is, so it should be reduced as well.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #26: February 24, 2015, 10:16:40 PM »
Since he says something stupid pretty much every day... lets just make a thread.

Since we already know it is a thread, would anyone be offended if we deleted the redundant portion of the title?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #27: February 24, 2015, 11:13:09 PM »
The thread about menswear should be called Threads Thread.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #28: February 24, 2015, 11:15:04 PM »
Wrong again, wrongrock.

KnorrForYourWrong.

WrongForYourKnorr.

Manfred is garbage. I'm just astounded they found a bigger clown than Selig.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #29: February 25, 2015, 10:03:07 AM »
How about the talk about eliminating the shift?  I don't agree with that at all. I hope Manfred doesn't make us long to have Bud back.

I'm all for eliminating the shift.  Everything else he's proposing or putting into effect is shiite, but that I can agree with.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #30: February 25, 2015, 11:33:20 AM »
How about the talk about eliminating the shift?

Dumbest thing ever.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #31: February 25, 2015, 11:40:41 AM »
That's not true - unless the number of games changed drastically, like down to 40 games or less.

Going to 120 shaves off the entire month of September and allows for a mid-April start to avoid crappy weather as best as you can in the northern markets.  It also only cuts out 1/4 of the games instead of 3/4 of the games as your 40-game schedule proposal would.  120 eliminates the need for inter-league games and you could limit divisional opponents to one series instead of two - and with modern travel choices, you could go back to two divisions per league and maximize the divisional matchups.  Plus, MLB could own the month of August with their pennant chase and the playoffs can start on Labor Day weekend getting them good numbers since the NFL starts usually the week after Labor Day.

Or you can suggest something asinine like a 40-game schedule.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #32: February 25, 2015, 11:43:32 AM »
ugh, I like the bad weather games at the beginning of the year, the start of baseball is one of the things that ushers in spring/summer. Pennant chase in august could be interesting since the end of the season would align with the end of the summer.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #33: February 25, 2015, 12:10:57 PM »
KnorrForYourWrong.

WrongForYourKnorr.

Manfred is garbage. I'm just astounded they found a bigger clown than Selig.

He's a clown, but I don't see why shortening the season is so horrible.

Offline whytev

« Reply #34: February 25, 2015, 12:11:53 PM »
He's a clown, but I don't see why shortening the season is so horrible.

To 154, it isn't!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #35: February 25, 2015, 12:36:57 PM »
To 154, it isn't!

I wouldn't mind the 154 and eliminate playing AL teams by division (for the Nats).   Like the NFL, play AL teams with comparable records the previous year.   It'll make it tougher on the winningest teams but it'd be good for the mix.    I doubt whether it would affect much in the post season.

Offline whytev

« Reply #36: February 25, 2015, 12:40:55 PM »
I wouldn't mind the 154 and eliminate playing AL teams by division (for the Nats).   Like the NFL, play AL teams with comparable records the previous year.   It'll make it tougher on the winningest teams but it'd be good for the mix.    I doubt whether it would affect much in the post season.

I don't like that at all. I think you should be competing against people with the same schedule, more or less.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #37: February 25, 2015, 12:52:26 PM »
I don't like that at all. I think you should be competing against people with the same schedule, more or less.

It could be about the same with 154 games.    Let's say the Nats have the AL West.   Simply cut out a series with Texas and Houston.    The Phillies could cut out a series with Oakland and the A's.    We'd still play the rival series against the Oreos.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #38: February 25, 2015, 01:08:11 PM »
Baseball should go to a relegation system. Reduce the league to 20 teams, the bottom 10 have to play their way back in. The bottom two every year drop down, the top two in the pool of 10 come back up.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #39: February 25, 2015, 01:09:08 PM »
Baseball should go to a relegation system. Reduce the league to 20 teams, the bottom 10 have to play their way back in. The bottom two every year drop down, the top two in the pool of 10 come back up.

I'd love it if US teams went to that- no more tanking to get good- you tank, you work your way back up from AA

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #40: February 25, 2015, 02:29:26 PM »

I love it, but how would that work with player contracts being what they are nowadays?

To 154, it isn't!

How is reducing a 162 game season by eight games going to help anything? 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #41: February 25, 2015, 02:35:24 PM »
I love it, but how would that work with player contracts being what they are nowadays?

you'd have to press reset on all of baseball- it can't really happen. The only sport where it could happen would be if NASL supplant MLS as the popular soccer league in this country. I love the idea of relegation because it gives any town with a team a shot to compete rather than freezing in stone which cities get teams with the off shot of expansion or bribing away another team.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #42: February 25, 2015, 02:36:17 PM »

Two things come to mind.    How do the contracts work in the UK in regard to relegation in soccer?    The union will never buy in on this.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #43: February 25, 2015, 02:39:41 PM »
Two things come to mind.    How do the contracts work in the UK in regard to relegation in soccer?    The union will never buy in on this.
Neither will the owners, I don't suspect. It'd be DOA, but I think it'd be great for the game.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #44: February 25, 2015, 02:41:22 PM »
Neither will the owners, I don't suspect. It'd be DOA, but I think it'd be great for the game.

Yep.   I also agree with HS that we're too far along for a reset on this.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #45: February 25, 2015, 02:43:54 PM »

I don't think the union would care- if anything it would spur more spending if a team with a huge stadium (and the associated costs) is facing relegation or if a team desperately wants to advance (a third team in NY or la would be valuable and all it would require would be joining at a lower level and buying enough talent to move up)

the owners on the other hand would never go for it- they'd have too much to loose and nothing to gain.

Offline whytev

« Reply #46: February 25, 2015, 03:05:52 PM »
It could be about the same with 154 games.    Let's say the Nats have the AL West.   Simply cut out a series with Texas and Houston.    The Phillies could cut out a series with Oakland and the A's.    We'd still play the rival series against the Oreos.

I hate the rival series.

Hypothetically, if we were in a very tight race with the Mets, and we have extra games against the Orioles and the Mets have extra games against the Yankees, and the Yankees are awful this year, that could make or break the difference. That's stupid. All division vs. another division is at least equal.

Offline whytev

« Reply #47: February 25, 2015, 03:08:36 PM »

It makes room for the inevitable extra round of playoffs when that comes. As I said.

We're at 175 max games now. We can make 3 rounds of 7 games and be right back at 175.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #48: February 25, 2015, 03:45:28 PM »
It makes room for the inevitable extra round of playoffs when that comes. As I said.

We're at 175 max games now. We can make 3 rounds of 7 games and be right back at 175.

The fact that we're at 175 games is the problem.  Market over-saturation.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #49: February 25, 2015, 03:58:44 PM »

Aren't we at a max 182?