Author Topic: The Garage  (Read 67148 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: The Garage
« Reply #175: November 02, 2015, 02:15:22 PM »
This really is Germany's annus horribilis. Not 1918 or 1945 crappy, but pretty damned crappy.   

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #176: November 18, 2015, 10:05:23 AM »

So...my wife's 2013 Honda CR-V has about 18,000 miles on it.  We bought it new 3 years ago and bought a warranty program that covered all scheduled maintenance.

Getting the State inspection today, they told her that the differential fluid was dirty, and should be changed...to the tune of $140.00.  They told her it needs to be changed like oil does.

Now, I am all with changing transmission and differential fluids at regular intervals...like every 30,000 miles...but doesn't it seem well too early, and if this is a scheduled item, would you not think it was covered under the extended warranty?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #177: November 18, 2015, 10:08:08 AM »
So...my wife's 2013 Honda CR-V has about 18,000 miles on it.  We bought it new 3 years ago and bought a warranty program that covered all scheduled maintenance.

Getting the State inspection today, they told her that the differential fluid was dirty, and should be changed...to the tune of $140.00.  They told her it needs to be changed like oil does.

Now, I am all with changing transmission and differential fluids at regular intervals...like every 30,000 miles...but doesn't it seem well too early, and if this is a scheduled item, would you not think it was covered under the extended warranty?
Not an expert but I would not change at only 18k miles.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #178: November 18, 2015, 10:10:27 AM »

Like going to the doctor for an ear ache and they want to do a prostate exam.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #179: November 18, 2015, 10:16:58 AM »
Not an expert but I would not change at only 18k miles.

Yeah...guessing that's not exactly what they meant...I mean, yes, differential fluid should be changed at regular intervals, but 18,000 miles just seems way too early.

BTW - Ram recommends 8,000 miles for engine oil changes now, and they are free for life when you buy a new one.  Just wish the dealership was closer to the house...it's a pain to get these done on my 2012, though you do have to watch the pennies on a retiree's budget.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #180: November 18, 2015, 10:24:05 AM »
Yeah...guessing that's not exactly what they meant...I mean, yes, differential fluid should be changed at regular intervals, but 18,000 miles just seems way too early.

Since you bought it new, is it possible it's a "break in" recommendation?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #181: November 18, 2015, 10:37:24 AM »
Since you bought it new, is it possible it's a "break in" recommendation?

Good question.  Left a message for the service manager...let's see what she tells me. 

It is not listed on the routine maintenance schedule, but the first transmission fluid change is scheduled at 90,000 miles.

Just seems odd...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #182: November 18, 2015, 10:41:33 AM »

how's the headlight fluid?

Offline dracnal

« Reply #183: November 18, 2015, 10:57:04 AM »

Did they offer to do the change themselves? If so, I'd be seriously skeptical.  In Leesburg, the garage that does the testing refuses to do the work on the services they say needs doing.  I'm more inclined to listen to them than if they pulled the 'Well, it passes but you need to have this work done.'

And I think the comment about headlight fluid says the same thing in a more eloquent way.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #184: November 18, 2015, 10:59:26 AM »
Reading the CR-V forum...seems changeint the differential fluid at 15,000+/- miles is "normal."   :evil:

So...why not have that listed in the routine maintenance schedule?  Asshats...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #185: November 18, 2015, 11:01:20 AM »
I'm more inclined to listen to them than if they pulled the 'Well, it passes but you need to have this work done.'

This   ....   plus transmission fluid is not one of the inspection checks.   I'd tell 'em, "I'll look into it after you inspect the car."    The great thing about capitalism is, you can take it somewhere else.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.shtm#InspectionProgram

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #186: November 18, 2015, 11:06:16 AM »
Reading the CR-V forum...seems changeint the differential fluid at 15,000+/- miles is "normal."   :evil:

So...why not have that listed in the routine maintenance schedule?  Asshats...
My Odyssey has 250k miles. I believe I have changed the transmission fluid three times. Not sure what the difference would be with the CRV cause I thought all the Honda engines were basically the same. Just ask why manual says 90k and they want to do now?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #187: November 18, 2015, 11:27:48 AM »
My Odyssey has 250k miles. I believe I have changed the transmission fluid three times. Not sure what the difference would be with the CRV cause I thought all the Honda engines were basically the same. Just ask why manual says 90k and they want to do now?

Not the tranny fluid...the rear differential fluid.  We have an AWD, so maybe that has something to do with it as well...

Offline dracnal

« Reply #188: November 18, 2015, 11:33:47 AM »
Not the tranny fluid...the rear differential fluid.  We have an AWD, so maybe that has something to do with it as well...

Just did a quick search on it and it seems that they're actually likely being legit. The price to change it is too high, but I'm seeing every other oil change or so, you want to change it out. It flags an engine code (B16) when it's time, and my guess is that's what they saw in the computer when they did the inspection.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #189: November 18, 2015, 11:36:16 AM »
Just did a quick search on it and it seems that they're actually likely being legit. The price to change it is too high, but I'm seeing every other oil change or so, you want to change it out. It flags an engine code (B16) when it's time, and my guess is that's what they saw in the computer when they did the inspection.

Yup...you saw what I saw...but again...for it not to be on the maintenance schedule is really crappy...

Offline dracnal

« Reply #190: November 18, 2015, 11:40:21 AM »
Dunno how comfortable you are getting your hands on things, but it sounds like $25 for parts and you can do it yourself without a need to jack it up or use a lift:

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/19-maintenance-service/6585-black-pearls-2007-rear-differential-fluid-change-photo-essay.html

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #191: November 18, 2015, 11:59:51 AM »
Dunno how comfortable you are getting your hands on things, but it sounds like $25 for parts and you can do it yourself without a need to jack it up or use a lift:

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/19-maintenance-service/6585-black-pearls-2007-rear-differential-fluid-change-photo-essay.html

I work on my own vehicles to a degree, though they have become more difficult to do so.  But my wife would invoke Sharia Law type punishment if I were to even attempt to touch hers...  ;)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #192: November 18, 2015, 12:59:21 PM »
Use the codes to tell you when to change your rear diffy fluid. It's very driver/situation dependent, so it's not on the maintenance schedule. It would be like putting "change your brake pads" on the schedule - some people are much easier on brakes than others.

Yup...you saw what I saw...but again...for it not to be on the maintenance schedule is really crappy...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #193: November 18, 2015, 02:14:31 PM »

Ah, Bach.    :)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #194: November 18, 2015, 03:27:22 PM »
Ah, Bach.    :)
Just what I need--one more fluid to keep track of.  Between the cars and my body it's not easy.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #195: November 18, 2015, 03:46:05 PM »
Just what I need--one more fluid to keep track of.  Between the cars and my body it's not easy.

Wait 'til ya get old.    :)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #196: November 18, 2015, 04:01:45 PM »
Wait 'til ya get old.    :)
after my back issues the past few weeks I feel older than ever.  I suppose I should look at the bright side--my knees feel good as I have not been doing much!

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #199: November 21, 2015, 11:09:51 AM »
Order me a couple of those.

I looked at the 2016 Mazda MX-5...thought it looked pretty great when the first press releases came out, and it's design is a vast improvement over the first 25 years, but it seemed somewhat "tub-like" in person and kinda turned me off.  Didn't bother to take one for a test drive.

Besides...while I could likely get in, I'm not sure I'd be able to climb out of it...  ;)