Author Topic: The Garage  (Read 66433 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: The Garage
« Reply #1150: January 06, 2023, 12:23:23 PM »
The transmission in my first Odyssey (2002) failed at around 80k miles. Honda offered $1k plus a lifetime warranty toward a new one. At the time it also was due for a timing belt, and the ABS controller had also failed. And a motor mount broke. I got $5k for it toward a new one. That generation had horrible transmission issues.

My 2011 has about 155k miles. In the last year or so i've replaced an oil seal, the timing belt (for the 2nd time), both front axles, a radiator fan, the PS pump, and rear coil spring covers. At 23k miles the VCM system failed, sending oil into 3 cylinders which required a partial engine rebuild. Fortunately that was covered under warranty. I also had to replace the alternator at about 7 years (under extended warranty).

On the odyclub owners forum everyone says the engine will fail again unless I disable the VCM system. There are several "muzzlers" available that fool the engine into thinking it's not warm enough the VCM system to engage (VCM disables half the cylinders to save gas when under light load).