Author Topic: Must See TV Thread  (Read 113371 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #1875: April 27, 2021, 11:31:17 PM »
Duane Johnson has to get the call at some point since he's done just about everything else.

Online Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #1876: April 28, 2021, 01:19:34 AM »
How about Cheech Marin? He has at least competed and won on Celebrity Jeopardy.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1877: April 28, 2021, 07:51:58 PM »
I don't even mind Anderson Cooper - the person.  He carries himself well and has the right amount of enthusiasm.  But there's just no way they can make a cable news talking head the permanent host of the show, and I'm sure they know it.

Online imref

« Reply #1878: April 28, 2021, 08:29:10 PM »
I don't even mind Anderson Cooper - the person.  He carries himself well and has the right amount of enthusiasm.  But there's just no way they can make a cable news talking head the permanent host of the show, and I'm sure they know it.

So Olberman is out?

Online skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1879: April 28, 2021, 09:29:54 PM »
I used to love Anderson but the way he’s developed this stutter or something when he’s trying to convey how outraged or astounded or whatever he is or something now gets on my last freaking nerve and Erin Burnett does the exact same thing now, it’s like he’s infected her!

Online skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1880: May 04, 2021, 08:49:09 PM »
Anybody watching “Mare of Easttown” on HBO? It’s pretty good, I have tons of different theories on who the killer is!

Online imref

« Reply #1881: May 04, 2021, 10:07:19 PM »
Buzzy Cohen gets the jeopardy gig for two weeks starting on 5/14. Anderson Cooper posted the worst ratings of any guest host so far.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1882: May 05, 2021, 11:10:31 AM »
Buzzy Cohen gets the jeopardy gig for two weeks starting on 5/14. Anderson Cooper posted the worst ratings of any guest host so far.

As I mentioned above, it's simply not an option to choose a major talking head from from a cable news outlet as the host.  Objectively I thought he did a fine job but I imagine plenty of people chose not to tune in at all for those two weeks purely on principle.

Whitaker seems alright - and "60 minutes" probably appeals to both sides a bit more - for whatever reason I find his understated delivery appropriate, whereas on Rodgers I found it dull.  But I wouldn't imagine they want to choose someone who's already pushing 70 as the new permanent host.

I think Cohen's personality will be well suited for a 2 week gig but probably too big for the permanent job.

There's probably a very short list of people under serious consideration for the permanent job and the rest of this is just a gimmick.

Online imref

« Reply #1883: May 05, 2021, 11:33:30 AM »
As I mentioned above, it's simply not an option to choose a major talking head from from a cable news outlet as the host.  Objectively I thought he did a fine job but I imagine plenty of people chose not to tune in at all for those two weeks purely on principle.

Whitaker seems alright - and "60 minutes" probably appeals to both sides a bit more - for whatever reason I find his understated delivery appropriate, whereas on Rodgers I found it dull.  But I wouldn't imagine they want to choose someone who's already pushing 70 as the new permanent host.

I think Cohen's personality will be well suited for a 2 week gig but probably too big for the permanent job.

There's probably a very short list of people under serious consideration for the permanent job and the rest of this is just a gimmick.

Rodgers, Jennings, Richards, and Burton are likely the finalists IMHO.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1884: May 05, 2021, 03:06:34 PM »
Rodgers, Jennings, Richards, and Burton are likely the finalists IMHO.
Keith Richards? Then I'd start to watch.

Online imref

« Reply #1885: May 05, 2021, 03:19:16 PM »
Keith Richards? Then I'd start to watch.

Michael Richards (aka Cosmo Kramer)

Offline wj73

« Reply #1886: May 06, 2021, 07:41:13 PM »
For any WWII history buffs out there, 60 Minutes this Sunday is running a piece on the Ritchie Boys. This is a group who did intelligence work against Germany. Many were German and other European born Jews who had come to the US as children or teens when their families fled Germany in the 1930’s. They had native fluency in German, Polish, Italian etc and knew local customs, making them invaluable assets. Those who went behind the lines in Europe damn well knew what they were facing if captured, but went anyway. Incredible courage.

They are called the Ritchie Boys because they trained at the now-closed Ft Ritchie in Cascade MD, in Washington County, up near the PA border.  Ft Ritchie was closed as part of the BRAC closings in the 90’s, but most of the grounds are still open for community use for walking, running, etc. Many of the beautiful old stone buildings are still there, albeit overrun with vines. There is also an abandoned base housing area, with an entire neighborhood of 70’s era houses. Wandering through that neighborhood is like being in a twilight zone. There are two lakes on the grounds, which have their own history as they were used as ice lakes in the early 1900’s, before the US Govt acquired the property. The whole atmosphere at Ft Ritchie is so rich with history that it’s almost palpable.  If you’re looking for something to do on a nice day, you could do worse than taking an hour or so to ramble through Ft Ritchie.  Pen Mar Park and the Appalachian Trail are just a mile or so away, so you could do some hiking or bring a picnic to enjoy at Pen Mar.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1887: May 06, 2021, 07:56:35 PM »
Thanks!
For any WWII history buffs out there, 60 Minutes this Sunday is running a piece on the Ritchie Boys. This is a group who did intelligence work against Germany. Many were German and other European born Jews who had come to the US as children or teens when their families fled Germany in the 1930’s. They had native fluency in German, Polish, Italian etc and knew local customs, making them invaluable assets. Those who went behind the lines in Europe damn well knew what they were facing if captured, but went anyway. Incredible courage.

They are called the Ritchie Boys because they trained at the now-closed Ft Ritchie in Cascade MD, in Washington County, up near the PA border.  Ft Ritchie was closed as part of the BRAC closings in the 90’s, but most of the grounds are still open for community use for walking, running, etc. Many of the beautiful old stone buildings are still there, albeit overrun with vines. There is also an abandoned base housing area, with an entire neighborhood of 70’s era houses. Wandering through that neighborhood is like being in a twilight zone. There are two lakes on the grounds, which have their own history as they were used as ice lakes in the early 1900’s, before the US Govt acquired the property. The whole atmosphere at Ft Ritchie is so rich with history that it’s almost palpable.  If you’re looking for something to do on a nice day, you could do worse than taking an hour or so to ramble through Ft Ritchie.  Pen Mar Park and the Appalachian Trail are just a mile or so away, so you could do some hiking or bring a picnic to enjoy at Pen Mar.

Online imref

« Reply #1888: May 06, 2021, 08:32:48 PM »
Ditto. Thanks

Online skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1889: May 11, 2021, 08:38:06 PM »
Anybody watching Mare of EastTown on HBO? It’s a pretty good who done it, I’m digging it, and this spoof by SNL is perfection :lol:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1890: May 16, 2021, 12:09:50 PM »
This is hilarious if you saw The Last Dance or if you know anything about Michael Jordan.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1891: May 18, 2021, 07:25:38 AM »

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1892: May 18, 2021, 08:01:52 AM »
This young lady is a sight for sore eyes on the WUSA morning news. Who cares about traffic.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/about-us/team-bios/get-up-dc-welcomes-new-traffic-anchor-michelle-logan/65-663ad823-5093-43ac-b4cd-91f84760f20c

I really like Get up DC. But this woman is hardly the only attractive one in local news. Especially doing traffic.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1893: May 18, 2021, 08:24:54 AM »
I really like Get up DC. But this woman is hardly the only attractive one in local news. Especially doing traffic.
I get it on my Roku here in Florida so that’s why I watch that station. She seems to be a new addition.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1894: May 18, 2021, 10:08:21 AM »
This young lady is a sight for sore eyes on the WUSA morning news. Who cares about traffic.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/about-us/team-bios/get-up-dc-welcomes-new-traffic-anchor-michelle-logan/65-663ad823-5093-43ac-b4cd-91f84760f20c
My inner Beavis and Butthead is filling with comments now. Heh, heh.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1895: May 19, 2021, 08:37:31 AM »
She is not any better looking than 2/3's of female weather or traffic commentators

Online imref

« Reply #1896: July 03, 2021, 06:57:06 AM »
Clarkson’s Farm on Prime is a fun watch if you are a Top Gear / Grand Tour fan

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1897: July 05, 2021, 07:27:35 PM »
60 Minutes has a piece on Ken Burns last night. Ken said his stories on the Civil War had to be followed by his stories about baseball because baseball was the next segment in American History that addressed racism

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1898: July 29, 2021, 12:47:11 PM »
What do we think of Levar Burton on Jeopardy? I think he’s just meh.

However, I hate the current champ.

Online imref

« Reply #1899: July 29, 2021, 12:55:33 PM »
What do we think of Levar Burton on Jeopardy? I think he’s just meh.

Too giddy.