Author Topic: Must See TV Thread  (Read 113324 times)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #1750: January 22, 2021, 08:43:25 PM »
NBC Sports Network to shut down by the end of the year

Only thing I watch here is Mecum Auto Auction.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1751: January 22, 2021, 08:47:26 PM »
Ken Burns’s baseball is on the mlb network tonight.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1752: January 22, 2021, 08:55:55 PM »
NBCSN shutting down is indicative of sports in general. No one can go to games anymore and viewership is plummeting. Meanwhile Netflix and other streaming services are through the roof. Hmmmh.

Offline imref

« Reply #1753: January 22, 2021, 11:21:43 PM »
Tie game in jeopardy tonight, I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Offline GataNats

« Reply #1754: January 22, 2021, 11:54:47 PM »
NBCSN shutting down is indicative of sports in general. No one can go to games anymore and viewership is plummeting. Meanwhile Netflix and other streaming services are through the roof. Hmmmh.

That makes no sense.   More people are watching TV than ever

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1756: January 23, 2021, 09:59:48 AM »
It could easily be due to factor(s) not related to COVID, such as competition in sports broadcasting

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1757: January 23, 2021, 10:10:10 AM »
not quite right.  NBCSN had mostly niche sports.  Even NHL and NASCAR are fanatic sports that don't draw as much of the culture as NFL / MLB / NBA; it's just NHL and NASCAR are national and more numerous than the rest of NBCSN's offerings.  That said, they been pushing Peacock and the NBCSN Gold packages before this and trying to push people into paying for those services.  My guess is that the races I've been watching on NBCSN (big 1 day races, the Tour, the Vuelta, and some of the warm up stage races) will go to peacock as a pay package while some of those will be free on Peacock as teases.

Curious about the Premier League.  I'll guess that stays on CNBC and on the USA network .

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1758: January 23, 2021, 10:15:48 AM »
not quite right.  NBCSN had mostly niche sports.  Even NHL and NASCAR are fanatic sports that don't draw as much of the culture as NFL / MLB / NBA; it's just NHL and NASCAR are national and more numerous than the rest of NBCSN's offerings.  That said, they been pushing Peacock and the NBCSN Gold packages before this and trying to push people into paying for those services.  My guess is that the races I've been watching on NBCSN (big 1 day races, the Tour, the Vuelta, and some of the warm up stage races) will go to peacock as a pay package while some of those will be free on Peacock as teases.

Curious about the Premier League.  I'll guess that stays on CNBC and on the USA network .

You're quibbling with me and I don't see where we disagree. Sports viewership is down and streaming services are booming. Everyone is going to streaming services because traditional cable is collapsing.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1759: January 23, 2021, 10:18:23 AM »
You're quibbling with me and I don't see where we disagree. Sports viewership is down and streaming services are booming. Everyone is going to streaming services because traditional cable is collapsing.

NBA viewership is booming, nfl is flat to up.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1760: January 23, 2021, 10:22:38 AM »
fair enough.  Both of us agree that the model for niche stuff is streaming. 

I think NBCSN was sort of caught in the middle without the mass appeal sports ESPN and the main networks have.  I'll guess fox sports 1 & 2 survive because they have the tie-in with Fox's national contracts for broad appeal sports.  NBC never put its only really big national showcase, SNF, on NBCSN, while Fox will put MLB playoffs, some bowl games, and popular conference college football on FS1 & 2.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1763: January 23, 2021, 10:28:59 AM »
https://www.sportspromedia.com/analysis/us-sports-tv-ratings-decline-nfl-nba-finals-world-series-nhl-covid-19
NBA was down in the Finals as were other sports.  Now they are generally up.  NHL opener was highest ratings ever.  Try and keep up. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1764: January 23, 2021, 10:33:52 AM »
I'm posting this again with some quotes since everyone does not like to read.  Don't blame me for the misspellings. 

https://www.sportsvideo.org/2021/01/22/ratings-roundup-nba-viewership-across-the-board-nfl-divisional-playoffs-down-slightly-yoy/

"NBA viewership across TNT, ESPN and ABC through MLK Day (27 games) is up 34% vs. the comparable number of games during the 2019-20 season..."

"TNT’s MLK Day primetime doubleheader coverage – highlighted by the Milwaukee Bucks vs. Brooklyn Nets and Golden State Warriors vs. Los Angeles Lakers – averaged 2.1 million viewers for an increase of 31% vs. last year’s comparable MLK Day coverage, according to Nielsen Fast Nationals."

And this.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/penguins-flyers-opening-night-nbcsn-tv-ratings-record

"On Sunday, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers – New Orleans Saints game drew 36,416,201 viewers across Fox, Fos Deportes, Fox Sports streaming platforsm, NFL Digital, and Verizon Media MObile properties on Sunday. It was the most watched telecast of any kind on any networks since Super Bowl LIV and the most watched NFL teelcast of th eseason."

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1765: January 23, 2021, 10:41:02 AM »
I'm still not convinced that total sports viewership was down in the fall.  Individual sports were but it was the first time ever that NBA/NHL playoffs were on at the same time as the end of the MLB season and the start of the NFL and college football season.  Throw in some major golf tournaments that were moved to the fall and you have a glut of sports. 

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1766: January 23, 2021, 11:03:39 AM »
NBA was down in the Finals as were other sports.  Now they are generally up.  NHL opener was highest ratings ever.  Try and keep up. 

I'm not talking about a couple of games. Let's see where things stand the end of the season.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1767: January 23, 2021, 11:16:04 AM »
I'm not talking about a couple of games. Let's see where things stand the end of the season.

You actually were talking about a few games as the NBA and other sports went pretty much directly to playoffs.  We will see what happens for a season.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/analysis/us-sports-tv-ratings-decline-nfl-nba-finals-world-series-nhl-covid-19

“Minutes of sports consumed, which is the proper way to measure this, was up, and its share of all minutes consumed was up. So it’s not about sports, it’s about the environment, and if you’re going to jam everything together over a 60-day period, a lot of it being crown jewel events, it’s not so much fatigue as it is they [viewers] have to make more choices.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1769: January 30, 2021, 06:01:25 PM »
Enjoying Midnight Diner on Netflix.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80113541

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1770: January 31, 2021, 12:37:53 PM »
really liked the cold open on SNL last night.  What still works with Kate McKinnon.  Topics included government with MTG,  stock market with Game stop's new majority shareholder, social media with  Jack Dorsey and Mark Zuckerberg (KM has a great line here), vaccine rollout with OJ Simpson who got the vaccine, and Tom Brady.

https://www.boston.com/culture/entertainment/2021/01/31/snl-recap-john-krasinski-episode-best-moments

Blue Georgia is also good.

Offline imref

« Reply #1771: January 31, 2021, 03:11:27 PM »
really liked the cold open on SNL last night.  What still works with Kate McKinnon.  Topics included government with MTG,  stock market with Game stop's new majority shareholder, social media with  Jack Dorsey and Mark Zuckerberg (KM has a great line here), vaccine rollout with OJ Simpson who got the vaccine, and Tom Brady.

https://www.boston.com/culture/entertainment/2021/01/31/snl-recap-john-krasinski-episode-best-moments

Blue Georgia is also good.

The musical guest was pretty good as well.

Offline imref

« Reply #1772: February 02, 2021, 08:06:45 PM »
Jeopardy announces new guest hosts including Dr Oz, Anderson Cooper, Savanah Guthrie, and Sanjay Gupta. I think we’re entering the “new coke” phase of the program and there will be a big backlash. Hopefully it ends with Jennings as the permanent host.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1773: February 02, 2021, 08:10:16 PM »
time to stop watching jeopardy for awhile

Offline imref

« Reply #1774: February 02, 2021, 08:24:31 PM »
time to stope watching jeopardy for awhile

Two more weeks of Jennings I think. I’ll probably watch Rodgers.