Author Topic: Must See TV Thread  (Read 113408 times)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #1675: January 08, 2021, 09:56:01 AM »
Unless, of course, if some news event interrupts TV broadcasting ...

The final episode of Jeopardy with Alex Trebek airs tonight.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1676: January 08, 2021, 10:42:37 AM »
Unless, of course, if some news event interrupts TV broadcasting ...
Why do you say that MG? How could anything interrupt Jeopardy. 

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1677: January 08, 2021, 10:49:49 AM »
Why do you say that MG? How could anything interrupt Jeopardy. 

You mean like Wednesday night? I had to find it on YouTube because the YouTube TV DVR didn't record the re-aired episode at 1:35 AM.

If Biden gives a speech at 7:30 tonight, I say impeach him. He could have the decency to wait until 8:00. (Last month he gave a 20-minute speech at 7:30 on a Monday night instead of squeezing it in at 8:00 between Jeopardy and Monday Night Football.)

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #1678: January 08, 2021, 11:45:39 AM »
ted lasso was the best show i watched in 2020

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1679: January 08, 2021, 11:51:43 AM »
ted lasso was the best show i watched in 2020

Cobra Kai was quite good.

Best show of any type I watched in 2020 was Unorthodox.

Offline imref

« Reply #1680: January 11, 2021, 08:45:22 PM »
Ken Jennings did well.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1681: January 11, 2021, 09:23:23 PM »
Ken Jennings did well.

Agreed.  The intro tribute to Alex was beautifully written/delivered.

Offline imref

« Reply #1682: January 11, 2021, 10:57:06 PM »
Agreed.  The intro tribute to Alex was beautifully written/delivered.

:(

I wonder how many takes that took.  I read an interview with him in which he called his wife after taping the first five shows.  She asked him how he did and he said "terrible, I'm not Alex Trebek", his wife told him that all he had to be was as good as Alex when Alex taped his first week of shows.

I really hope he gets the permanent gig.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1683: January 12, 2021, 08:43:12 AM »
:(

I wonder how many takes that took.  I read an interview with him in which he called his wife after taping the first five shows.  She asked him how he did and he said "terrible, I'm not Alex Trebek", his wife told him that all he had to be was as good as Alex when Alex taped his first week of shows.

I really hope he gets the permanent gig.

This is a good point. I've seen comments that Jennings talked too fast or moved the game along too quickly last night. But if you watch Trebek's early episodes (like last year when they re-ran some of them after running out of new ones), you'll see he was a very fast talker early on as well. Extremely fast.

The thing I thought Jennings could do would be to remember to give the full name when the contestant responds with just the last name, as the rules allow—for example, last night there was a clue about the author of Silent Spring, the contestant correctly said "Who is Carson?," and Jennings said that was right and moved on. Trebek would have said something like, "Correct, Rachel Carson." It's not a "big deal," but on the other hand, as a viewer when you don't know who the person is or you aren't sure, hearing the full name sometimes jogs your memory. (To be sure, Jennings sometimes did this. It's also fair to recognize that when he was a contestant, he gave only the last name, so it may be natural for him not to think to clarify now. As a contestant, giving just the last name is wise because you don't want to risk giving too much and making your answer wrong.)

But then, my wife didn't like it when Trebek did that because she felt it was arrogant or know-it-all. (She also didn't know Rachel Carson last night.)

Edited to add: BTW, I wonder how long Johnny Gilbert will continue as announcer. He's 96 years old. For the past year he's been remotely recording his part, though, so I guess he could stay on indefinitely.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1684: January 12, 2021, 11:37:57 AM »
I heard a rumor Katie Couric is next.

Offline imref

« Reply #1685: January 12, 2021, 12:37:02 PM »
I heard a rumor Katie Couric is next.

They've taped 6 weeks of episodes with Jennings, then at least a week with Couric.  I've heard Lavar Burton mentioned as a possible guest/permanent host as well.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #1686: January 12, 2021, 12:49:32 PM »
I sincerely hope they do NOT go with anyone politically affiliated (yes that includes news anchors) for the permanent gig.  I have some more thoughts but I don't want to break my own rules here so I'll leave it at that.

I really like Ken for his connection to the show and to Alex but he doesn't really have a narrator's voice.  I could see Burton, assuming he does the job capably.  I feel like his voice is better suited to the role than Ken's, and he's generally well liked/non-controversial.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1687: January 12, 2021, 01:53:11 PM »
I sincerely hope they do NOT go with anyone politically affiliated (yes that includes news anchors) for the permanent gig.  I have some more thoughts but I don't want to break my own rules here so I'll leave it at that.

I really like Ken for his connection to the show and to Alex but he doesn't really have a narrator's voice.  I could see Burton, assuming he does the job capably.  I feel like his voice is better suited to the role than Ken's, and he's generally well liked/non-controversial.

I like Ken, Lavar Burton seems like he would be good. It does need to be someone non-controversial in the Mr. Rogers/Bob Ross/Alex Trebek you're an jerk if you have a problem with them category. I think Burton fits that category. Jennigns isn't there, but he has a separate appeal to jeopardy fans

Offline imref

« Reply #1688: January 12, 2021, 02:13:54 PM »
I like Ken, Lavar Burton seems like he would be good. It does need to be someone non-controversial in the Mr. Rogers/Bob Ross/Alex Trebek you're an jerk if you have a problem with them category. I think Burton fits that category. Jennigns isn't there, but he has a separate appeal to jeopardy fans

Anderson Cooper has been mentioned as a possible host in that same vein, modest unassuming person who could easily fade into the background.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1689: January 12, 2021, 02:21:10 PM »
Anderson Cooper has been mentioned as a possible host in that same vein, modest unassuming person who could easily fade into the background.

too political

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #1691: January 12, 2021, 03:00:09 PM »

If you told me that your 10 years on this site were all building up to this moment, this one single everest-tier crappost, I would absolutely believe it.  That's how ridiculous this collection of words is.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1692: January 12, 2021, 03:04:39 PM »
If you told me that your 10 years on this site were all building up to this moment, this one single everest-tier crappost, I would absolutely believe it.  That's how ridiculous this collection of words is.

You're so worked up over this you're making less sense than you usually do. My advice is pour a shot of bourbon and put your feet up. Pretend you're living the retired good life, like me.  :mg:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #1693: January 12, 2021, 03:07:21 PM »
You're so worked up over this you're making less sense than you usually do. My advice is pour a shot of bourbon and put your feet up. Pretend you're living the retired good life, like me.  :mg:

Have you SEEN my avatar?  :donkey:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1694: January 12, 2021, 03:09:27 PM »

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #1695: January 12, 2021, 03:18:23 PM »
You triggered?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1696: January 12, 2021, 03:22:44 PM »
They've taped 6 weeks of episodes with Jennings, then at least a week with Couric.  I've heard Lavar Burton mentioned as a possible guest/permanent host as well.
can he see the answers?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1697: January 12, 2021, 03:50:07 PM »
:spit: :lmao:

Offline imref

« Reply #1698: January 12, 2021, 04:06:58 PM »
can he see the answers?

even before the questions are read.

Offline imref

« Reply #1699: January 12, 2021, 04:07:40 PM »

wow, just wow.