Author Topic: Must See TV Thread  (Read 113423 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #1525: May 28, 2020, 07:27:21 PM »
Quentin Tarantino has called it the best movie ever put on film. The cinematography is masterful. It’s obvious the influence it’s had on Tarantino’s work.
And that soundtrack is also fantastic. The theme obviously, but the song playing when Tuco is running through the graveyard is a beautiful piece of music.
Just a fantastic movie.

"You dig"

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #1526: May 28, 2020, 09:50:47 PM »
My favorite line is "I am Ten Bears."  Just the delivery...it was perfect...
The best line from Lone Watie:

Josey: Whenever I get to liking someone, they ain't around for long.
Lone Watie: I notice when you get to disliking someone, they ain't around for long neither.

"Endeavor to persevere" is also good, but you need the entire scene to get the context.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1527: June 01, 2020, 12:57:46 PM »
Did anyone watch the Lance Armstrong documentary?  I guess he volunteered to do it so it would help redeem his public persona but he came across as the same dick he always was and mostly angry he got caught.  He said he was still relevant in one interview. Sure you are buddy.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1528: June 01, 2020, 01:37:26 PM »
Did anyone watch the Lance Armstrong documentary?  I guess he volunteered to do it so it would help redeem his public persona but he came across as the same dick he always was and mostly angry he got caught.  He said he was still relevant in one interview. Sure you are buddy.
I saw the first half but missed the second.  I think he had more of an opportunity to appear as a d-head in the second half, once he became a celeb. If he came across as a d-head, he probably was being himself and telling the truth. 

Irony is, he's rich not from biking at this point.  He took a chunk of the change he was making and bet on Uber. 

Still, I think the '99 Tour was just a shock to everyone, and the UCI, Postal, and all the other interests were just not going to kill the golden goose.  Seriously, in '99, I could see a rival looking at the Postal team and saying, it is safe to let them have the yellow early and we'll nail him in the mountains. Vandevelde was young, Hincapie I think was at most a classics guy, Vaughters, Livingston, and Andrieu were not respected. Armstrong's 4th in the Vuelta the prior year should have tipped them off, but his time trialing must have been a shock (not the prologue but the 2d one).  What made him valuable was the story of cancer survivor.  Then he became untouchable.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1529: June 01, 2020, 01:45:22 PM »
I saw the first half but missed the second.  I think he had more of an opportunity to appear as a d-head in the second half, once he became a celeb. If he came across as a d-head, he probably was being himself and telling the truth. 

Irony is, he's rich not from biking at this point.  He took a chunk of the change he was making and bet on Uber. 

Still, I think the '99 Tour was just a shock to everyone, and the UCI, Postal, and all the other interests were just not going to kill the golden goose.  Seriously, in '99, I could see a rival looking at the Postal team and saying, it is safe to let them have the yellow early and we'll nail him in the mountains. Vandevelde was young, Hincapie I think was at most a classics guy, Vaughters, Livingston, and Andrieu were not respected. Armstrong's 4th in the Vuelta the prior year should have tipped them off, but his time trialing must have been a shock (not the prologue but the 2d one).  What made him valuable was the story of cancer survivor.  Then he became untouchable.
Yes. It was not in the show but read he made $20-30 million on his Uber investment. Now he is worth about $50 million.

He basically talks about being persecuted by the media on episode 2.  Not happy that he is cut off from cycling while some others who bared their souls are not.  Still has it in for Floyd Landis. He is also upset at being cut out of his foundation totally. Says they should have just given him a time out.  That comes after they discuss how he wouldn’t let Landis back on his team after his suspension was served.  Basically he seems to lack much self awareness even after all he has been through. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1530: June 01, 2020, 05:32:18 PM »
I feel about Landis sort of like I feel about John Gotti's underboss.  Kudos for him turning states evidence, wish it was Hamilton who did it first, but I really don't see how he's got a pro-continental team and Hincapie has a team. Even Bjarne Riis is back (he had his own crew of dopers).

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1531: June 01, 2020, 06:17:51 PM »
I feel about Landis sort of like I feel about John Gotti's underboss.  Kudos for him turning states evidence, wish it was Hamilton who did it first, but I really don't see how he's got a pro-continental team and Hincapie has a team. Even Bjarne Riis is back (he had his own crew of dopers).
The mafia analogy was used.  Landis said the real mafia would not have turned him away after being in prison (suspended) for 2 years.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1532: June 04, 2020, 12:03:58 PM »
Miracle at Michigan is in ESPN tonight.  I know bluestreak will tune in.  :hysterical:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1533: June 04, 2020, 12:05:00 PM »
Watched the English Game on Netflix. Good show. I assume like 5 percent of it was true.  Apparently the two main characters were actual players.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1534: June 05, 2020, 10:40:11 AM »
Started watching Schitt's Creek last night, :hysterical:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1535: June 05, 2020, 04:18:49 PM »
Started watching Schitt's Creek last night, :hysterical:

I didn't think much of the first season. It gets so much funnier.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1536: June 05, 2020, 04:59:14 PM »
I didn't think much of the first season. It gets so much funnier.

That's good to hear.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1537: June 05, 2020, 06:24:53 PM »
Watched the English Game on Netflix. Good show. I assume like 5 percent of it was true.  Apparently the two main characters were actual players.

Did you watch Sunderland 'Til I Die ye?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1538: June 05, 2020, 06:27:30 PM »
Did you watch Sunderland 'Til I Die ye?
Yes I did. What a shyte show as they say there. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1539: June 05, 2020, 06:27:55 PM »
The Man City season has a happier ending

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1541: June 05, 2020, 06:32:40 PM »
Still are

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/04/the-fiver-football-newcastle-sunderland-ticket-refunds
I did some reading about the second year team that came in. The guy Charlie who supposedly was a business expert had a background as a journalist and in marketing. Cracked me up. I have no doubt they were hemorrhaging money but apparently his only expertise in football was being friends with the new owner. I see he resigned during this past season and the owner is trying to sell the team.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1542: June 05, 2020, 06:34:09 PM »
Selling their star striker in order to buy a worse replacement for more money- and essentially losing a shot a promotion as a result makes me realize that as bad as local owners are, there are always worse

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1543: June 05, 2020, 06:38:01 PM »
Selling their star striker in order to buy a worse replacement for more money- and essentially losing a shot a promotion as a result makes me realize that as bad as local owners are, there are always worse
Hard to tell for sure but sounded like the striker and his agent had just made up his mind to leave Sunderland. And I don’t blame him one bit.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1544: June 05, 2020, 06:41:48 PM »
Hard to tell for sure but sounded like the striker and his agent had just made up his mind to leave Sunderland. And I don’t blame him one bit.

He was under contract through the season, but if he left then they couldn’t sell him. Leaving aside that one season of premiere league revenue is magnitudes more than they sold him for, selling him may have made sense if they got a cheaper replacement and pocketed the difference or a better replacement using the proceeds, instead, they paid more for worse and their manager (the only competent one in the room) was telling them the whole time

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1545: June 05, 2020, 06:43:26 PM »
He was under contract through the season, but if he left then they couldn’t sell him. Leaving aside that one season of premiere league revenue is magnitudes more than they sold him for, selling him may have made sense if they got a cheaper replacement and pocketed the difference or a better replacement using the proceeds, instead, they paid more for worse and their manager (the only competent one in the room) was telling them the whole time
Ok. I don’t know the rules there.  But as I recall they were trying to move back to the champions league and not the premiere league. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1546: June 05, 2020, 06:44:49 PM »
I conflate the first two seasons- you’re right, they were trying to get to the champions league.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1547: June 05, 2020, 07:00:29 PM »
I conflate the first two seasons- you’re right, they were trying to get to the champions league.
In any event they really suck.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1548: June 07, 2020, 08:02:57 PM »
Super Bowl 1969 on NBC-Sports Network tonight Sunday Jue 7, 2020 at 8:00 PM to 11:00 PM.
New York Jets vs Baltimore Colts

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1549: June 07, 2020, 09:38:21 PM »
I'm surprised how much this looks like real football.

Super Bowl 1969 on NBC-Sports Network tonight Sunday Jue 7, 2020 at 8:00 PM to 11:00 PM.
New York Jets vs Baltimore Colts

(Image removed from quote.)