Author Topic: Must See TV Thread  (Read 115190 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #1450: May 11, 2020, 09:37:33 PM »
I’m starting the series on audible now- I never played the game, but the plot follows a lot of fantasy tropes, so I just accepted being confused at times. Between the Witcher and the Boys, I think the is the best tv has been in a while (to be fair, I was late on GoT and never really got into it)

Don't get me wrong, I like it well enough, but i think it's mostly Cavill's performance carrying the first season.  I don't know that I'd have ever gotten around to watching it if not for current circumstances.  Agreed on the trope-iness.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1451: May 11, 2020, 09:42:47 PM »
I’ve started reading a lot of fantasy as I’ve stopped caring as much about non-fiction so I was probably an easy mark. I really like the main characters, maybe it’s the acting, maybe the writing. I’m really hoping this being done well is a good sign for wheel of time not getting butchered

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1452: May 19, 2020, 10:04:29 PM »
A few more episodes of last dance would be nice.  That was a heck of a show.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1453: May 20, 2020, 05:18:44 PM »
Sunderland 'til I Die on Netflix is a good watch. It's about a team that was relegated from the Premier League and is on the cusp of being relegated again.
Started watching that--up to Episode 4.  They're going to drop down another level aren't they?  Well OK I know they are because they are in League One now.  A once proud franchise.  This is what the Pirates would be if they had relegation in baseball.  Sounds like Sunderland has new owners now? Was that before or after season 2 of this show?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1454: May 20, 2020, 07:32:53 PM »
A few more episodes of last dance would be nice.  That was a heck of a show.

As if Jordan needs any further fellation by the media.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1455: May 20, 2020, 07:34:37 PM »
As if Jordan needs any further fellation by the media.

Deserves every bit of it and more, there’ll never be another MJ.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1456: May 20, 2020, 07:43:52 PM »
I want to see the Scottie Pippen story. Would only take one episode.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1457: May 20, 2020, 07:48:17 PM »

LeBron James is a much better player than Jordan (yes, I said it)  :P

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1458: May 20, 2020, 08:05:54 PM »

:spit: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Jk, you may be technically right but phenomenal player with off the charts charisma and killer instinct like no other?? MJ all day everyday :mg:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1459: May 20, 2020, 08:13:18 PM »
He’s bigger. I will give you that.

Online imref

« Reply #1460: May 20, 2020, 08:13:36 PM »

Different era, different players.

Online imref

« Reply #1461: May 20, 2020, 08:14:22 PM »
I want to see the Scottie Pippen story. Would only take one episode.

And add on a five minute Scott Burrell story.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1462: May 20, 2020, 08:16:40 PM »
And add on a five minute Scott Burrell story.
He’s head coach at Southern Connecticut.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1463: May 20, 2020, 08:17:24 PM »

:hysterical:

Online imref

« Reply #1464: May 20, 2020, 08:17:46 PM »

Probably still has nightmares about Jordan.  Watching that series makes it easy to understand the Kwamie Brown disaster in DC.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1465: May 20, 2020, 08:19:34 PM »
Probably still has nightmares about Jordan.  Watching that series makes it easy to understand the Kwamie Brown disaster in DC.
MJ knew down the road Ernie would flip Kwamie for Caron Butler.

Online imref

« Reply #1466: May 20, 2020, 08:21:49 PM »
:hysterical:

There are a lot of folks who know far more about basketball than I do who argue that Jordan’s game would have suffered in today’s era where it’s all about three pointers. I read a piece saying that there are about 3x as many three pointers per game now than Jordan’s era. 

I think Jordan would have been just fine. But I can understand the argument that LeBron is better. He’s bigger, stronger, and arguably a better outside shooter. I’m still partial to Jordan though just because I grew up watching him.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1467: May 20, 2020, 08:24:05 PM »

And a native of my hometown of Hamden CT :) apparently a great guy who was never bothered by MJ’s ribbing, just knew he was trying to push him to be better.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1468: May 20, 2020, 08:24:26 PM »

There are a lot of folks who know far more about basketball than I do who argue that Jordan’s game would have suffered in today’s era where it’s all about three pointers. I read a piece saying that there are about 3x as many three pointers per game now than Jordan’s era. 

I think Jordan would have been just fine. But I can understand the argument that LeBron is better. He’s bigger, stronger, and arguably a better outside shooter. I’m still partial to Jordan though just because I grew up watching him.
It was much more physical then. If Lebron played against guys like Laimbeer and Oakley and Rodman he would be in tears. 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1469: May 20, 2020, 08:26:27 PM »
It was much more physical then. If Lebron played against guys like Laimbeer and Oakley and Rodman he would be in tears. 

Damn straight :whip:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1470: May 20, 2020, 08:28:30 PM »
Also I looked it up to be sure. Lebron is a career 34.4 career three point shooter. He is not a good shooter. MJ would have been shooting more threes when he was younger and I have no doubt he would have excelled at it if he had chosen to.

Online imref

« Reply #1471: May 20, 2020, 08:31:51 PM »

He’d just shoot from the outside.  :)

FWIW, Kwame said the issues with Jordan were overblown and he got along fine with him.  He came from a terrible childhood and so he said Jordan riding him wasn’t a big deal.  He did go and play for him in Charlotte a few years ago.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1472: May 20, 2020, 08:34:26 PM »
He’d just shoot from the outside.  :)

FWIW, Kwame said the issues with Jordan were overblown and he got along fine with him.  He came from a terrible childhood and so he said Jordan riding him wasn’t a big deal.  He did go and play for him in Charlotte a few years ago.
Kwamie just was not any good. He had little interest in basketball. Just happened to be a big guy who could play some.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1473: May 20, 2020, 08:37:25 PM »

The Mt. Rushmore of the 4 major sports according to VaRK:  Gretzky / Jordan / Ruth / Whoever you like in Football...that one may never have a consensus...and I don't really care...

I only saw Jordan play in person once...against the Shaq Magic in the playoffs.  Nick Anderson picked his pocket to seal the victory for Orlando.  That was Jordan's 1/2 season after coming back from playing baseball.

Jordan is still the best player I've ever seen play the game...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1474: May 20, 2020, 08:49:08 PM »
The Mt. Rushmore of the 4 major sports according to VaRK:  Gretzky / Jordan / Ruth / Whoever you like in Football...that one may never have a consensus...and I don't really care...

I only saw Jordan play in person once...against the Shaq Magic in the playoffs.  Nick Anderson picked his pocket to seal the victory for Orlando.  That was Jordan's 1/2 season after coming back from playing baseball.

Jordan is still the best player I've ever seen play the game...

Gretzky/Ruth*/Rice

*Credible argument can be made that only post integration players can be considered the greatest, but I think Ruth was sufficiently great to get the nod over Mays.

For basketball it’s tougher, in my opinion.  I personally go Magic, but the argument can be made for Russell and Jordan. And I do think LeBron will be in that conversation as well. I think LeBron would wipe the floor with Laimbeer.
I’m sure Jordan would have been a better 3 point shooter had he come up today. But the way he played would not have translated to today. But he didn’t play today, he played back then. He was great.