Author Topic: Must See TV Thread  (Read 115502 times)

Offline UMDNats

Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #225: May 13, 2015, 04:50:29 PM »

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #226: May 14, 2015, 08:36:09 AM »
the guy who voices Ned Flanders, Principal Skinner, Kent Brockman, Mr. Burns, Smithers, Reverend Lovejoy, Dr. Hibbert, Lenny, Otto, Rainier Wolfcastle... may be leaving the simpsons (tragedy aside, that's a bigger blow than phil hartman)

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/14/8604495/harry-shearer-leaves-the-simpsons-no-mr-burns-flanders

the show has really been on an uptick lately, so this really sucks

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #227: May 14, 2015, 12:22:19 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=43&v=Lm46-envrHo

which is a parody which is a new series

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #228: May 15, 2015, 09:12:16 AM »
is an internet series TV?
Published on May 1, 2015
Here’s a premise you haven’t seen before from the Roadkill guys: this time, Freiburger bought a car without Finnegan knowing, and Finnegan picked the road trip without Freiburger knowing. Result: the Monster Carlo! It’s a 1980 Chevy Monte Carlo lowrider with full hydraulics—perfect for lifting it up high to fit some Super Swamper off-road tires for a desert excursion to Las Vegas, where the guys meet up with the fans for a party at EBC Brakes. Along the way there’s failure, winning, more failure, three-wheeling, hopping, fire, sparks, dirt, and more psychotic laughter than you’ve ever seen in a single episode. #BecauseRoadkill. Thanks for the support from EBC Brakes and Optima Batteries!

these guys make up for my top gear fix pretty well, but I somehow see them accidentally maiming themselves

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #229: May 17, 2015, 12:15:30 AM »
SNL is all over the map tonight. Love it.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #230: May 17, 2015, 01:24:02 AM »
SNL is all over the map tonight. Love it.

Kate McKinnon's Hillary kills me :lol:

Just got further in and watched Louis C.K.'s monologue :shock: and yet :crackup:

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #231: May 17, 2015, 07:34:11 AM »
Daredevil is epic. 2 episodes in and I love it.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #232: May 17, 2015, 11:27:32 PM »
Can't wait for the SJW horde of nagging women about GoT's latest episode.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #233: May 18, 2015, 01:01:09 AM »
Mad Men finale was great. I feel like I just finished reading a long, beautiful, life-enhancing work of literature. And the utter shameless fanservice of one plot line was, well, totally welcome.

Great show. Will never forget it.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #234: May 18, 2015, 03:47:44 AM »
Can't wait for the SJW horde of nagging women about GoT's latest episode.
I'm a man and I was utterly disgusted by it. Probably the most sad/angry/disturbed from any show I have ever watched. I'm done with this show. It takes too much energy to read 4,700 pages and then see your favorite character's dignity destroyed.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #235: May 18, 2015, 10:04:53 AM »
I'm a man and I was utterly disgusted by it. Probably the most sad/angry/disturbed from any show I have ever watched. I'm done with this show. It takes too much energy to read 4,700 pages and then see your favorite character's dignity destroyed.

She voluntarily rode into Winterfell and married into the family that killed her mother and brother, she knew exactly what she was getting into.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #236: May 18, 2015, 10:05:32 AM »
Mad Men finale was great. I feel like I just finished reading a long, beautiful, life-enhancing work of literature. And the utter shameless fanservice of one plot line was, well, totally welcome.

Great show. Will never forget it.

agreed :clap:

Offline Bloo

« Reply #237: May 18, 2015, 02:13:32 PM »
She voluntarily rode into Winterfell and married into the family that killed her mother and brother, she knew exactly what she was getting into.
Except LF told her that Stannis would save her. And to quote wise Oregon Ducks players: "No means no."

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

« Reply #238: May 18, 2015, 06:00:11 PM »
Except LF told her that Stannis would save her. And to quote wise Oregon Ducks players: "No means no."

Lol you are a fool if you still trust Littlefinger. That dude is playing 5 paces ahead of everyone. He cares only about himself.

Not to mention they were married and it was their wedding night. I don't know about you, but usually sex was used in that time period to consummate the marriage.

The hilarious part of it all is that women don't give a crap about anything that doesn't affect women. Theon had his dick cut off, Oberyn had his head smashed in like a grape, Jamie lost his fighting hand, Kids were burned to a crisp, etc. Because it happened to their precious Sansa its totally different. Not to mention this same EXACT situation happened in the first god damn episode with Dany and Drogo. Both married to strangers to support their claim. Except Dany was old enough to where you could actually see it happen.

Long story short, this is nothing crazy for HBO and GoT standards.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #239: May 18, 2015, 06:07:47 PM »
This is borderline Uncensored thread territory but it's important to talk about. In the books, she develops without getting raped. It's repetetive, excessive, and shows lack of creativity on the showrunners parts. That's why people are mad. Not because of the actual depiction but its use as a overused and sexist trope for female characters.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

« Reply #240: May 18, 2015, 06:13:44 PM »
sexist trope for female characters.

This is the middle ages...what do you expect women to do?

And I fail to see that at all. Breanne beat the Hound...which would almost never happen in real life. Melisandre is basically the right hand of Stannis. Cersei has had sex like 3 times in this whole series. Arya is training to be an assassin. Dany has stopped getting naked for good...

If anything, the show is going away from the gratuitous amounts of sex and focusing more on other things. First 2 seasons there was nudity in almost every episode.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #241: May 18, 2015, 08:16:53 PM »
The scene was really brutal and totally unnecessary to the plot. The showrunners this season have done a pretty terrible job as a whole. The Sand Snakes plot is a hilarious debacle.

I'm more pissed about the fact that they've freaked up so much of the story for so many characters than I am about a sexist TV trope, honestly.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

« Reply #242: May 18, 2015, 08:24:20 PM »
The scene was really brutal and totally unnecessary to the plot. The showrunners this season have done a pretty terrible job as a whole. The Sand Snakes plot is a hilarious debacle.

I'm more pissed about the fact that they've freaked up so much of the story for so many characters than I am about a sexist TV trope, honestly.

It was necessary to the plot.

You needed to get Sansa in Winterfell for when Stannis comes. Theon as well.

Putting them together was just tying it all up to get to that point...what they did with it is totally up to them.

And if you are going to blame anyone...blame that fat bastard GRRM. If he wants to dick around and not finish the books well the show will continue on.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #243: May 18, 2015, 08:30:11 PM »

The scene was less brutal than what is in the books (although the character of Sansa has been combined with Jeyne Poole), it is very much necessary to the plot, Sansa married Ramsey in order to get close to the Bolton's and plot her revenge, that access came with a severe consequence, one that she was very well aware of when she agreed to the plan.

Agreed about the Sand Snakes, that battle with Jaime and Bronn resulting in no severe injuries was a joke. I really wish they had included the Iron Islands plot instead of Dorne.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #244: May 18, 2015, 08:36:40 PM »
I meant the rape was unnecessary. Getting her to Winterfell is fine, marrying her to Ramsay is fine, but do you really need a rape scene? We already know he's insane. I guess it helps to hammer down the point that she's paying a price to try to take power and for Reek to become Theon again but it felt way over the top. They've spent a season now establishing that Ramsay is crazy and will do whatever he wants.

Some of the show-only plotlines have worked out nicely but for the most part when they've diverged they've freaked it up pretty bad. The dialogue is also so, so bad in some scenes. I hope the last half of episodes pick up the slack. 

I guess it's hard to match last season (every episode had some awesome action) considering how many huge events were in ASOS. The last two books don't have a ton of great TV material.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #245: May 18, 2015, 09:10:43 PM »
I meant the rape was unnecessary. Getting her to Winterfell is fine, marrying her to Ramsay is fine, but do you really need a rape scene? We already know he's insane. I guess it helps to hammer down the point that she's paying a price to try to take power and for Reek to become Theon again but it felt way over the top. They've spent a season now establishing that Ramsay is crazy and will do whatever he wants.

Some of the show-only plotlines have worked out nicely but for the most part when they've diverged they've freaked it up pretty bad. The dialogue is also so, so bad in some scenes. I hope the last half of episodes pick up the slack. 

I guess it's hard to match last season (every episode had some awesome action) considering how many huge events were in ASOS. The last two books don't have a ton of great TV material.

By my recollection of the scene she never said no and she never struggled, clearly she was dismayed at the situation but she also accepted it as part of the bargain in agreeing to the marriage, extremely unpleasant but not rape.

I'm wondering if they are going to surpass some of the plot lines in the books by the end of this season. With two seasons left they are going to have to start moving towards the end game.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #246: May 18, 2015, 10:07:09 PM »
The scene was less brutal than what is in the books (although the character of Sansa has been combined with Jeyne Poole), it is very much necessary to the plot, Sansa married Ramsey in order to get close to the Bolton's and plot her revenge, that access came with a severe consequence, one that she was very well aware of when she agreed to the plan.

Agreed about the Sand Snakes, that battle with Jaime and Bronn resulting in no severe injuries was a joke. I really wish they had included the Iron Islands plot instead of Dorne.

The choreography of that fight was terrible, but...  Watch closely.  They show Bronn getting cut by Obara.  She's known to have skills in poisons.

Also, earlier in the episode, Bronn is singing "The Dornishman's Wife" and got cut off by Jamie before the ending:

"Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done,the Dornishman's taken my life,But what does it matter, for all men must die,and I've tasted the Dornishman's wife!"

Foreshadowing?

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

« Reply #247: May 18, 2015, 10:10:24 PM »

What part of having sex on your marriage night do you not understand?

Apparently kinky rough sex is "rape" in today's culture. The only thing that was wrong about that scene was making Theon watch what was basically a little sister to him get plowed by the man who cut off his manhood.

Plus Sophie Turner has stated in an interview she loved doing that scene so...its a non-issue. But i'll be damned if I don't shut my mouth and let the femnazis skewer it the way they want to.

Through out human history we have evolved beyond past social behaviors....and getting pissed at a show that is fictional and medieval in nature is hilarious. I rather my shows be edgy than restrained and curtailed to the wishes of the crybaby minority.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

« Reply #248: May 18, 2015, 10:13:03 PM »
The choreography of that fight was terrible, but...  Watch closely.  They show Bronn getting cut by Obara.  She's known to have skills in poisons.

Also, earlier in the episode, Bronn is singing "The Dornishman's Wife" and got cut off by Jamie before the ending:

"Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done,the Dornishman's taken my life,But what does it matter, for all men must die,and I've tasted the Dornishman's wife!"

Foreshadowing?

The Sand Snakes are awful. None of them are really particularly pretty...and they can't act for crap.

But you know what....a 5'2'' 120 lb girl can go toe to toe with Bronn who has killed knights and many men and come away completely fine.

It's more pandering than anything.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #249: May 18, 2015, 10:27:17 PM »
The only thing that was wrong about that scene was making Theon watch what was basically a little sister to him get plowed by the man who cut off his manhood.

That's good to know.