Author Topic: Must See TV Thread  (Read 115648 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #300: July 10, 2015, 04:45:47 PM »
Nathan...

Just...

No.

**and that would make a pretty good thread to discuss.  But yeah, inertial dampers, the shock that all the neutrinos around the quark table were left handed, the crack in the event horizon that the Enterprise escaped through... I can go on and on. If you want physics that actually are sane, Babylon 5.  JMS did some -serious- research on the mathematical likeliness of how non-adjacent hyperspace and artificial gravity via rotation, as well as any other Earth related tech was really, really solid.

I'm an avid reader of /r/DaystromInstitute where all kinds of things about the Trek universe are discussed.

Yeah, there are some outlandish things, but things that you know go against physics they at least usually have some technology that they mention that circumvents it.  They acknowledge the issue.  "You can't travel faster than light!"  Right, and the ship doesn't actually ever exceed c, it's in a bubble of warped space.  There were writer manuals on what you can and can't do within the Trek universe.  The transporter even has a "Heisenberg Compensator" :lol:

Of course I never really watched much of TOS, I was more TNG era and up.

But yes, B5 was also an enjoyable show, I wish they still had it on Netflix.