Author Topic: Must See TV Thread  (Read 115207 times)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #2000: October 04, 2021, 04:52:12 PM »
Can anyone explain to me why on my local news I was just treated to a story telling me that "Shakira" won a tax case but that another one looms?  Who gives an actual freak?
Seriously, slow news day in the fashionable west end of Henrico County I guess :lol: Did they cover when she was chased by wild boars last week too?  :roll:
I feel this way about the Britney Spears drama. I couldn't care less about it and I certainly don't want it clogging up my local newscast.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2001: October 04, 2021, 04:57:44 PM »
Reporters covering city hall get expensive. This is much easier and can be reused by other affiliates

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2002: October 04, 2021, 04:59:45 PM »
Can anyone explain to me why on my local news I was just treated to a story telling me that "Shakira" won a tax case but that another one looms?  Who gives an actual freak?
Debt ceiling is too complicated for most.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2003: October 04, 2021, 05:11:22 PM »
Seriously, slow news day in the fashionable west end of Henrico County I guess :lol: Did they cover when she was chased by wild boars last week too?  :roll:
I feel this way about the Britney Spears drama. I couldn't care less about it and I certainly don't want it clogging up my local newscast.
Did the wild boars catch her? 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #2004: October 04, 2021, 05:21:06 PM »

Yeah...don't get me started on Brit'ny...  :evil:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2005: October 04, 2021, 08:35:09 PM »

Substitute “Mary Pickford” for “Shakira”.  :mg: :hysterical:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2006: October 07, 2021, 03:24:06 PM »
So Matt Amodio has to lose at some point, right?

Jeopardy needs to have him face Holzhauer and Jennings in a best of five like they did for the previous 'greatest ever' tournament.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2007: October 07, 2021, 04:06:54 PM »
He’s made the show unwatchable. Part of it is the crappy contestants they have put up against him. I’m amazed at not only the questions they miss, but the sometimes nonsensical answers they give. They are slowing picking up on his strategy, but even months into this, so get a question right and still go to the top of the board.  They need to find a ringer to beat him.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2008: October 07, 2021, 04:31:14 PM »
He’s made the show unwatchable. Part of it is the crappy contestants they have put up against him. I’m amazed at not only the questions they miss, but the sometimes nonsensical answers they give. They are slowing picking up on his strategy, but even months into this, so get a question right and still go to the top of the board.  They need to find a ringer to beat him.

if someone can buzz in as fast and get a similar volume correct, I don't think going to the top matters. I think there just aren't good opponents. Anyone else wonders if he's the next host after this? I think he's more likable than Jennings personally

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2009: October 07, 2021, 04:48:30 PM »
if someone can buzz in as fast and get a similar volume correct, I don't think going to the top matters. I think there just aren't good opponents. Anyone else wonders if he's the next host after this? I think he's more likable than Jennings personally

Going to the bottom matters because that’s where the daily doubles are. The reason he wins is because he gets high dollar clues and eventually gets the daily double, doubles his score and then it’s a runaway. If you get control, it’s essential you go looking for the daily doubles as well, if only to keep him from doubling up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/93e6zf/jeopardys_daily_double_heatmap_oc/

I agree that the quality of contestants has been poor.

Anyone else wonders if he's the next host after this? I think he's more likable than Jennings personally

No one is wondering this. Jennings is infinitely more popular than this guy. At least among people who watch the show and comment online.

Offline imref

« Reply #2010: October 07, 2021, 05:37:58 PM »
i've seen a few folks in the last couple of weeks try to replicate his strategy, but nobody is as quick or accurate as he is with answers. I did know the final jeopardy question the other night that all three contestants, including Matt, got wrong (thermador), so i'll put a stake in the ground and say that I could beat him. :)

I haven't looked at the stats, but he does seem to miss more answers than Holzhauer.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2011: October 07, 2021, 06:03:08 PM »
He has missed more than Holzhauer and Jennings. And he has definite weaknesses. Like sports and pop culture. If the other contestant knew “who framed Roger Rabbit” we’d be rid of him.

I’m confident I could beat him. And I’m not joking.

If they ever switch to Jennings that will be a prime opportunity to take him down because he won’t be used to his cadence.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2012: October 08, 2021, 08:49:18 AM »
Not a jeopardy guy, but I see coverage of this guy in my alumni magazine and in the daily emails.  The September / October issue went to press sometime in August, I think, and had the following:

"A Yale doctoral student was on a remarkable winning streak on the game show jeopardy! when we went to press. Matt Amodio '23 PhD, who studies machine learning and artificial intelligence in the computer science department, had won $430,200 over 13 days by August 6, enough to put him in fifth place om the show's regular-season winners list." [YAM, Sep/Oct 2021, at 19]

What is he at now in terms of days and dollars?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2013: October 08, 2021, 09:30:56 AM »

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/93e6zf/jeopardys_daily_double_heatmap_oc/

I never realized it was there was that degree of difference. It seems like Jeopardy could easily either equalize it or weight the top row heavily to kill his strategy

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2014: October 08, 2021, 09:45:35 AM »
Not a jeopardy guy, but I see coverage of this guy in my alumni magazine and in the daily emails.  The September / October issue went to press sometime in August, I think, and had the following:

"A Yale doctoral student was on a remarkable winning streak on the game show jeopardy! when we went to press. Matt Amodio '23 PhD, who studies machine learning and artificial intelligence in the computer science department, had won $430,200 over 13 days by August 6, enough to put him in fifth place om the show's regular-season winners list." [YAM, Sep/Oct 2021, at 19]

What is he at now in terms of days and dollars?

36 Days and about $1.5 million

Offline imref

« Reply #2015: October 08, 2021, 12:19:40 PM »
He faced another phd candidate last night

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #2016: October 08, 2021, 02:39:21 PM »
BlueStreak:

Your hate-boner for this guy is YUGE :lmao:

I'll agree with the opponents being largely crap, but isn't that pretty much true on any given night?  If winning 30+ Jeopardy games in a row is so easy why doesn't it happen all the time?  It's fine you don't like him but all this big talk just looks silly :shrug:

On the subject of watching...  I don't really care that he'll lose at some point (obviously), but I am afraid of missing the one where he loses because I'd want to see how it happens and finding full Jeopardy episodes after the fact can be tough. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2017: October 08, 2021, 02:52:06 PM »
BlueStreak:

(Image removed from quote.)

Your hate-boner for this guy is YUGE :lmao:

I'll agree with the opponents being largely crap, but isn't that pretty much true on any given night?  If winning 30+ Jeopardy games in a row is so easy why doesn't it happen all the time?  It's fine you don't like him but all this big talk just looks silly :shrug:

On the subject of watching...  I don't really care that he'll lose at some point (obviously), but I am afraid of missing the one where he loses because I'd want to see how it happens and finding full Jeopardy episodes after the fact can be tough.

I do not deny this. I can’t stand the guy for some visceral, irrational reason. It’s a BEC situation. Literally everything the dude does annoys me. I don’t think of it outside of discussions or watching the show, but I do really dislike him. It makes no sense, but it also doesn’t really matter or hurt anything.

I still stand by the assertion I could beat him. 

Offline The Chief

« Reply #2018: October 08, 2021, 02:56:56 PM »
Nah it's cool, I've felt that way about plenty of people in my life :lol:

Whatever happens his performance in the next tournament of champions should be illuminating.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #2019: October 08, 2021, 04:07:30 PM »
I do not deny this. I can’t stand the guy for some visceral, irrational reason. It’s a BEC situation. Literally everything the dude does annoys me. I don’t think of it outside of discussions or watching the show, but I do really dislike him. It makes no sense, but it also doesn’t really matter or hurt anything.

I still stand by the assertion I could beat him.

I feel like there's enough variety on this board to make one incredibly damn good bar league trivia team.

Offline imref

Offline The Chief

« Reply #2021: October 08, 2021, 07:58:16 PM »
I feel like there's enough variety on this board to make one incredibly damn good bar league trivia team.

Sounds like a great idea for an off-season meet & greet to me.

Offline imref

« Reply #2022: October 08, 2021, 09:55:20 PM »
Sounds like a great idea for an off-season meet & greet to me.

just about every brewery it seems near me has a trivia night.

Offline imref

« Reply #2023: October 09, 2021, 10:02:00 AM »
minor Ted Lasso spoiler from the final episode of season two:

Edwin Akufo provided one of the greatest pieces of dialogue in television history

Offline imref

« Reply #2024: October 11, 2021, 08:24:39 PM »
Heck of a jeopardy game tonight.