Author Topic: Baseball Uniforms/Logos Discussion  (Read 12252 times)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Re: Baseball Uniforms/Logos Discussion
« Reply #50: March 14, 2015, 03:43:45 PM »
There are eleven teams in the MLB that have dark blue as their primary color, and that does not count the Nats or Cardinals who use dark blue for their road hats. Some of those teams need to switch to something different. Seattle already has a fantastic bright blue and yellow option if they were to make their new alternates their primary uniforms, San Diego needs to go back to the brown, Milwaukee could return to their old colors without losing anything, (Although they'd have the same color scheme as Seattle's if they did.) and Tampa could return to black/green again as well.

Offline _sturt_

• "Le Grande Orange"...Colt 45/Astro/Expo(Nat) Great
« Reply #51: March 14, 2015, 04:39:36 PM »
While I suspect this might not be a particularly popular notion (particularly so among some of the DC area fans), I'd like to see some element in the Nats' uniform design that serves as a tip-of-the-proverbial-cap to the franchise's 1969 beginning. Certainly, it is irrefutably appropriate that there are multiple elements that recall the Senators. I'd just like to see some single element that intentionally pays tribute to the team's origin.

Open to ideas, though I hasten to add, as long as we can avoid talking about going with flipping the Montreal "M" over to be a W. The curly W is here to stay, as it ought to be. I'm thinking something more understated than that.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #52: March 14, 2015, 05:04:27 PM »
While I suspect this might not be a particularly popular notion (particularly so among some of the DC area fans), I'd like to see some element in the Nats' uniform design that serves as a tip-of-the-proverbial-cap to the franchise's 1969 beginning. Certainly, it is irrefutably appropriate that there are multiple elements that recall the Senators. I'd just like to see some single element that intentionally pays tribute to the team's origin.

Open to ideas, though I hasten to add, as long as we can avoid talking about going with flipping the Montreal "M" over to be a W. The curly W is here to stay, as it ought to be. I'm thinking something less understated than that.
I doubt that will happen. The history of the Expos did not come to Washington with the team, similar to how the Sonics history is not really acknowledged by the OKC Thunder. Different city, different name, and in the case of the Nats, a previous history in the city to utilize instead of Montreal's history.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #53: March 14, 2015, 05:59:41 PM »
I've heard the Sonics analogy. I just think it's a very different situation. Whereas Sonics fans have every expectation of regaining a franchise and even take offense to the OKC team merely observing the Sonics' retired numbers, the Expos fans as far as I could ever tell embrace the Nats. Moreover, the Nats, by virtue of tributes to Expos greats in the Ring of Fame, have embraced the franchise's origins. I'm one of those who thinks that's the right way to do things.

***EDIT***

Dang, I just realized... not sure how conscious the designer of the current jersey was of the connections to both the Expos and, too, the Negro League Grays, but I wouldn't doubt that s/he was altogether conscious...

The Grays unis, for the most part, featured the middle piping down the front of the uni.

Then, the Expos original unis placed the team logo on the player's left side, and the number to the right.

Both of those, of course, are ALREADY consistent with the Nats' home unis. (Granted, the W on the left once appeared as part of the Senators' jersey, but as far as I can tell, never so the number on the right.)

To be honest, I gave the "pinwheel" cap a passing thought, and then, perhaps changing the font of the jersey numbers to replicate the Expos'. But I have to admit I always thought the Expos' pinwheel, while unique, was too much so. I was much more intrigued about the numeral font, but even then, I just have a visual preference for those block numerals.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #54: March 14, 2015, 11:25:04 PM »
and Tampa could return to black/green again as well.

Those were as awful as the original Diamondback unis.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #55: March 14, 2015, 11:38:50 PM »
Those were as awful as the original Diamondback unis.
Their original uniform set did indeed suck, but the set prior to the current ones was actually pretty nice. I actually don't have a problem with their current uniforms. It's just the dark blue that bothers me. It'd be fine if they just swapped out the blue for green like these mockups:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #56: March 15, 2015, 09:58:31 AM »
Hurry up and put out the 5950 Brown and Orange Padres hats. :az: :az: :az:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #58: March 20, 2015, 12:57:19 PM »
Unfortunately those are the ones that are made in China and have the bad crowns.  The Padres should have the made in USA versions out after the season starts that'll have the correct crown form and no New Era flag.

Offline whytev

« Reply #59: March 20, 2015, 07:07:53 PM »
Unfortunately those are the ones that are made in China and have the bad crowns.  The Padres should have the made in USA versions out after the season starts that'll have the correct crown form and no New Era flag.

Okay, whoa. I have two authentic on field hats. One is Chinese and the other is American. What gives? How can you tell from online?

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #60: March 28, 2015, 01:17:29 AM »

Offline blue911

« Reply #61: March 28, 2015, 10:08:40 AM »

Home

Away

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #62: March 28, 2015, 05:33:28 PM »
I've heard the Sonics analogy. I just think it's a very different situation. Whereas Sonics fans have every expectation of regaining a franchise and even take offense to the OKC team merely observing the Sonics' retired numbers, the Expos fans as far as I could ever tell embrace the Nats.

All five of them.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #63: March 28, 2015, 07:14:43 PM »
There are a LOT of things said on sports message boards that are out of line. I'm not trying to make an enemy of you or anyone else, Knorr, but that qualifies in my book.

I'm not a former Expos fan, but I don't know why anyone would want to take a shot at other fans of the team they support simply because those fans have a different reason for embracing the Nats... that's whether they number five or 5,000 or 5,000,000.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #64: March 28, 2015, 07:20:24 PM »
(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)
Are you implying that the current Nats unis are meant as an homage to the Expos? If so, sorry, but they aren't. It's because they wanted to give the :w: more prominence in the branding of the team beyond just the cap. That's why the logo changed and why they ditched the Fuddruckers font and the interlocking DC logo.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #65: March 28, 2015, 08:18:50 PM »
I'm saying that there is an element that the Nats uni has in-common with the Grays and an element in-common with the Expos, and that unless you have some authoritative reference that says otherwise, I think one can form his/her own opinion as to whether that is just coincidence, or if those with input to the final design liked the idea of "paying homage" if you will to the history of baseball in Washington and the history of the baseball franchise now in Washington.

And even if it were just coincidence after all, I don't get why anyone wouldn't just embrace the idea anyhow. The Nationals are the embodiment of a franchise kicked around and disrespected by the league, and the city of Washington is the embodiment of a fanbase kicked around and disrespected by the league... and the Negro League certainly embodies an era of racial disrespect.

To me, there's something to be celebrated... make that, CELEBRATED (!)... about the Nationals as a result... the nation's capital's baseball team as its own melting pot for the refugees of the baseball world, now rising up and seemingly in a position to become the envy of all of the major league baseball world.

So... no matter how it came about, on purpose or by coincidence or by just providence... I love that our uniform ended up being reflective of the Grays, the Expos, and certainly the Senators... all of the above.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #66: March 28, 2015, 08:26:50 PM »
I love that our uniform ended up being reflective of the Grays, the Expos, and certainly the Senators... all of the above.

Yeah...I don't see it...  :shrug:

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #67: March 29, 2015, 02:19:14 PM »

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #68: March 30, 2015, 07:28:16 AM »
Okay, whoa. I have to authentic on field hats. One is Chinese and the other is American. What gives? How can you tell from online?

The crowns are different with the Chinese versions having peaks.  Most of the one off "Turn Back the Clock"/throwbacks are made in China (on demand production) and have bad stitching and the aforementioned crown issue.

Offline whytev

« Reply #69: April 01, 2015, 05:19:21 PM »
The crowns are different with the Chinese versions having peaks.  Most of the one off "Turn Back the Clock"/throwbacks are made in China (on demand production) and have bad stitching and the aforementioned crown issue.

Okay, I'm in Toronto and I checked out the new era store. The red hat was American, just like the one I have (retired hat, signed by Ramos), and the navy with red bill alternative is Chinese, as is the one I have (currently atop my head). Is that a thing? Is just the home hat American? Which of yours are and aren't?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #70: April 02, 2015, 12:26:01 AM »
Okay, I'm in Toronto and I checked out the new era store. The red hat was American, just like the one I have (retired hat, signed by Ramos), and the navy with red bill alternative is Chinese, as is the one I have (currently atop my head). Is that a thing? Is just the home hat American? Which of yours are and aren't?

I only have a few of the Made in China crap and they're all "Turn Back the Clock" or rarely used alternative versions.  The worst was the Astros Colt .45s that look like bad bootlegs.  Just absolute crap.  I have over 100 New Era authentics so I'll have to take a look tomorrow and see which are Made in China crap and which aren't. 

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #71: April 02, 2015, 02:15:59 AM »
http://replayrepository.com/Kerry/1969/tmindex15.htm

Already plays homage to its 69 roots.  Senators!

History should stay where it originated and not where it moved to

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #72: April 03, 2015, 12:23:53 PM »
There are a LOT of things said on sports message boards that are out of line. I'm not trying to make an enemy of you or anyone else, Knorr, but that qualifies in my book.

I'm not a former Expos fan, but I don't know why anyone would want to take a shot at other fans of the team they support simply because those fans have a different reason for embracing the Nats... that's whether they number five or 5,000 or 5,000,000.

:hysterical:

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #73: April 03, 2015, 07:01:58 PM »
http://replayrepository.com/Kerry/1969/tmindex15.htm

Already plays homage to its 69 roots.  Senators!

Right. The homage to the Sens is obvious, ie, the curly W itself.

And while I'd focused on the home unis, I just realized that the Expos' aways and the Nats' aways are almost identical...

... with the lone exception of the lining around the collar. I don't know for a fact, b/c I can't locate the Grays' away unis anywhere, but one can't help but wonder if that element is homage to the Grays' (... maybe someone can confirm or deny?).

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #74: April 03, 2015, 07:07:19 PM »
Right. The homage to the Sens is obvious, ie, the curly W itself.

And while I'd focused on the home unis, I just realized that the Expos' aways and the Nats' aways are almost identical...

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)

... with the lone exception of the lining around the collar. I don't know for a fact, b/c I can't locate the Grays' away unis anywhere, but one can't help but wonder if that element is homage to the Grays' (... maybe someone can confirm or deny?).
They kept more or less the same designs, minus the addition of the Fuddruckers font, when they left Montreal, but there have been tweaks since then. The final Expos unis were really nice, so I approve.