Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Trea Turner, SS  (Read 83634 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Follow the Prospects: Trea Turner, SS
« Reply #150: May 11, 2015, 03:42:20 PM »
Doesn't it depend on if they see Difo as a short stop or a second baseman? If they see him as a short stop (which looks like his primary position so far this year), then either he or turner gets bumped to AAA

Difo was playing second when we saw him in Spring Training...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #151: May 11, 2015, 03:44:34 PM »
but he's spent the majority of his time in potomac at short

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #152: May 11, 2015, 03:47:25 PM »
I would think they move Difo to second, which would give everyone an apples to apples assessment of their SS defense at the same level in the same season.

Then you make a permanent decision starting in 2016 based on who shows the strongest SS defense, with the other moving to 2B?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #153: May 11, 2015, 03:50:04 PM »
I would think they move Difo to second, which would give everyone an apples to apples assessment of their SS defense at the same level in the same season.

Then you make a permanent decision starting in 2016 based on who shows the strongest SS defense, with the other moving to 2B?

is there still more value to playing short than second? If so, moving Difo for a second baseman could also make sense 

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #154: May 11, 2015, 03:56:51 PM »
Yes, you get a half win more of a positional adjustment playing SS over 600 PA.

I think it would matter more if Difo didn't seem like he'll hit enough to play 2B. But if he hits .290/.350/.450, no one is going to care if he'd be a few runs more valuable playing 45 defense at SS over 50 defense at 2B.

I guess I'm saying that if you have Didi Gregorius blocked at SS, you might need to trade him. I think the hitting matters a lot in that context.

Offline whytev

« Reply #155: May 11, 2015, 10:33:26 PM »
Doesn't it depend on if they see Difo as a short stop or a second baseman? If they see him as a short stop (which looks like his primary position so far this year), then either he or turner gets bumped to AAA

They've been keeping him at both positions, and Turner is the sort of prospect who pushes people like Difo aside.

Offline 3bside

« Reply #156: May 12, 2015, 08:12:39 AM »
Starting next month, they should put Turner and short and Difo at second at Harrisburg and let them play together in the minors for the next two years.  That way they'll have a lot of time playing together in hopes of being our starting double play combination in 2017.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #157: May 12, 2015, 08:24:42 AM »
Starting next month, they should put Turner and short and Difo at second at Harrisburg and let them play together in the minors for the next two years.  That way they'll have a lot of time playing together in hopes of being our starting double play combination in 2017.
THIS

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #158: May 12, 2015, 08:34:26 AM »
Nah.  you have them both learn both positions. This is what the Sox did I think with Hanley and Pedroia and a few others.  Line them up in the majors based on which combo is most effective.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #159: May 13, 2015, 10:42:30 PM »
Nah.  you have them both learn both positions. This is what the Sox did I think with Hanley and Pedroia and a few others.  Line them up in the majors based on which combo is most effective.

Agree. There's no harm if a guy can play either SS or 2B. When I was a kid, Pete Runnels and his chaw played SS and 2B. (Unfortunately, Pete could not play both positions at once.)

I'd promote Renda to Syracuse after the break. He has a couple dozen more games at Harrisburg than Difo. Renda only plays 2B, but the organization would probably be willing to bench Cutter Dykstra.

Offline whytev

« Reply #160: May 14, 2015, 01:06:35 AM »
Agree. There's no harm if a guy can play either SS or 2B. When I was a kid, Pete Runnels and his chaw played SS and 2B. (Unfortunately, Pete could not play both positions at once.)

I'd promote Renda to Syracuse after the break. He has a couple dozen more games at Harrisburg than Difo. Renda only plays 2B, but the organization would probably be willing to bench Cutter Dykstra.

Can't Dykstra play 3rd too?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #161: May 14, 2015, 07:08:29 AM »
Can he field his position well? I could give a freak less about my short stop hitting, so long as he doesn't commit 20 errors in a season.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #162: May 14, 2015, 01:54:00 PM »
Turner hitting .313/.394/.478 in 132 PA at AA so far this season.  Also has only 2 errors which is even more impressive in the minors where the fields are not nearly as well-maintained as the major league fields.  If he keeps up on that pace, he may even see some time with the big club in September.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #163: May 15, 2015, 08:32:19 AM »
Turner hitting .313/.394/.478 in 132 PA at AA so far this season.  Also has only 2 errors which is even more impressive in the minors where the fields are not nearly as well-maintained as the major league fields.  If he keeps up on that pace, he may even see some time with the big club in September.

Outside of an injury forcing a call up or Espinosa regressing I don't see Turner making the Bigs until April 17th of 2017. I don't know if a cup of coffee affects ML service time but I think that Rizzo will pull a Kris Bryant on both Turner and Difo.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #164: May 15, 2015, 08:37:08 AM »
Also has only 2 errors which is even more impressive in the minors where the fields are not nearly as well-maintained as the major league fields.

My local Short Season A-Ball team's field is immaculate.

Offline whytev

« Reply #165: May 16, 2015, 02:04:32 AM »
My local Short Season A-Ball team's field is immaculate.

(Image removed from quote.)

Mine hasn't started yet! I thought they were simultaneous.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #166: May 16, 2015, 08:19:45 AM »
Now hitting .322. Batted 3rd last night.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #167: May 16, 2015, 01:37:18 PM »
Outside of an injury forcing a call up or Espinosa regressing I don't see Turner making the Bigs until April 17th of 2017. I don't know if a cup of coffee affects ML service time but I think that Rizzo will pull a Kris Bryant on both Turner and Difo.
September call-ups affect service time but not enough to have a significant impact on Trea Turner.  Turner is supposed to be a player on a fast track and considering what he is doing in AA now, you could start to make the argument that he is ready now.  Lots of top prospects spend little time in AAA or skip it entirely so he should be close.  Would be shocked if we didn't see him before 2017 and would be a bit surprised if he didn't get the chance to compete for the shortstop job next season given that his numbers stay at least good (right now, they are insane).  He looks every bit like the real deal.

Offline RD

« Reply #168: May 17, 2015, 01:42:22 PM »

I missed this earlier.

I dIsagree. He's been in pro ball for less than a year and is already in AA and playing very well. You think it's going to take 2 full years to progress from AA to the bigs? He may not make it up this year, or be our opening day SS next year but I'm fairly certain he reaches the bigs at some point in 2016.

Offline RD

« Reply #169: May 17, 2015, 01:46:33 PM »
Also, while the service time issue is definitely there, I don't think it's quite as similar as a Bryant (or Stras or Harper) sitution. You're talking a superstar  talent, possible $250mill contract at some point. It's also teams that weren't contending at the time the kid was ready.

I don't think Turner is that type of prospect and if we need him, we need him. He plays. Imo. I can see waiting a few weeks in 2016 I get it, but not a few weeks into 2017.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #170: May 18, 2015, 05:32:10 AM »
I think it's becoming apparent that he is going to be ready way before 2017. He has the hit tool and speed tool. Fielding is there. I say give him the reigns in 2016 so we have a leadoff hitter if we don't resign Span.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #171: May 18, 2015, 09:13:48 AM »
So to sum up, Tampa chose option C correct?

Option A: 24-year old CF with an OPS+ of 132
Option B: 22-year old SS with an .889 OPS and 3 errors in 33 games in AA plus a 22-year old pitcher with a 2.54 ERA and a 41/12 K/BB ratio in 39 IP at AA
Option C: 26-year old RF with an OPS+ of 105

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #172: May 18, 2015, 12:14:47 PM »
Who's A? Myers?

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #173: May 18, 2015, 04:49:57 PM »
Who's A? Myers?

Correct. They (a) wanted to get rid of Myers, and (b) did not want the prospects the Padres could offer, so they enlisted the Nationals as a third-party in the trade, to get Souza, who was their replacement for Myers.

Time will tell how it turns out. Maybe Souza turns out great for them. But it sure looks like we got some good prospects, and Myers is back to being an impact player.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #174: May 18, 2015, 08:15:24 PM »
Correct. They (a) wanted to get rid of Myers, and (b) did not want the prospects the Padres could offer, so they enlisted the Nationals as a third-party in the trade, to get Souza, who was their replacement for Myers.

Time will tell how it turns out. Maybe Souza turns out great for them. But it sure looks like we got some good prospects, and Myers is back to being an impact player.

I heard that there was some maturity issues with Myers... maybe they just wanted him out of the clubhouse.