Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Trea Turner, SS  (Read 84439 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: Follow the Prospects: Trea Turner, SS
« Reply #900: July 15, 2016, 12:25:16 AM »
Already addressed Bryant. He's not a shortstop and he's not a center fielder. And he's not bouncing back and forth between the two. Those are two demanding defensive positions and make it a completely different scenario.

As far as Zobrist, he is an established veteran that also isn't playing a premium defensive position.

I'd also like to add that playing multiple positions and being a utility player is different than asking a guy to step away from SS for a year and a half then asking him to back. It's a totally different mentality defensively being an infielder and outfielder. To shut one down completely, which was suggested here, is just not a good idea. At least as a utility guy, you are practicing and playing to keep your tools fresh. If you're talking about making a guy move to CF full time for over a year, he's going to work on that craft. He's not going to be taking ground balls at short in games or before games.

I said I understand the idea of a short term (rest of this year) position swap, even if I disagree with it. You have a potential all star SS trying to break into the bigs. You don't need to make it more difficult on him imo. I agree he should be in the bigs, but the obvious path is him at 2b and Murphy at 1b. Not him as a CF. You also don't see potential all star shortstops moved to different positions.

Yes. Turner to 2B and Murphy to 1B against RH starters. Robinson against lefties, giving him a start a couple of times a week. Although Murphy is not a terrible fielder, Turner looks better.