Author Topic: Extend Rendon  (Read 65958 times)

Online Five Banners

Re: Extend Rendon
« Reply #1125: December 03, 2019, 01:11:55 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1201676271404478465

Nightingale; we'll see. If the Nats make a truly competitive offer and Rendon values being in the home state (though quite far from the home city) over helping keep things going here, that would be disappointing but the risk of free agency and Boras clients. (It's hard to envision the Rangers overtaking the A's, Astros and a heathy Angels group anytime soon without a lot more upgrades.)

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1126: December 03, 2019, 08:38:11 AM »
Nightingale; we'll see. If the Nats make a truly competitive offer and Rendon values being in the home state (though quite far from the home city) over helping keep things going here, that would be disappointing but the risk of free agency and Boras clients. (It's hard to envision the Rangers overtaking the A's, Astros and a heathy Angels group anytime soon without a lot more upgrades.)
Baseball is boring for Tony. He will take the money. As would most of us.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1127: December 03, 2019, 11:22:34 AM »
Playing for the Texas Rangers or Houston Astros would mean a lot more time sitting on airplanes, since they are both far away from other teams' ballparks. So there is a quality of life issue to consider. East coast teams mean less time in a plane.
 :babyshark:

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #1128: December 03, 2019, 01:32:56 PM »
I'd love to see Tony return, and I hope that the Nats at least make a fair and competitive offer.  He did his part in DC and helped bring a World Series Championship.  He's earned the right to go play wherever he wants.  I hope it's where he truly wants to be, verus Bryce just taking the last team still standing in all the bidding. 

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #1129: December 03, 2019, 01:43:37 PM »
I really dont expect Rendon back at this point.

Almost nothing on our end regarding an extension.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1130: December 03, 2019, 01:49:17 PM »
For both Rendon and Strasburg, doesn’t it make sense for both of them to go meet with other teams and then come back to the Nats with their best offer? If they have made it to free agency, what sense does it make for Rizzo to talk to them now? Are they learning more about the team?
If I’m considering offers for a new job, I wouldn’t negotiate with my current employer until I got all my other offers and established what I was worth.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #1131: December 03, 2019, 01:52:28 PM »
For both Rendon and Strasburg, doesn’t it make sense for both of them to go meet with other teams and then come back to the Nats with their best offer? If they have made it to free agency, what sense does it make for Rizzo to talk to them now? Are they learning more about the team?
If I’m considering offers for a new job, I wouldn’t negotiate with my current employer until I got all my other offers and established what I was worth.
It makes sense to me.  But it sure seems like a free agent shops himself around like that, he rarely ends up re-signing with his old team.   I'm sure there are a few examples of that happening, but I can't think of any.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #1132: December 03, 2019, 04:04:33 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/jaysonst/status/1201950237469945857

How long are the #Nationals willing to wait for Anthony Rendon & Scott Boras to make a decision?

Agents & execs who have spoken with Mike Rizzo say he'll want an answer "by the winter meetings or shortly thereafter."

Without one, the Nats will turn to Donaldson & trade options

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1133: December 03, 2019, 05:22:38 PM »

Online Slateman

« Reply #1134: December 04, 2019, 02:37:49 PM »

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #1135: December 05, 2019, 04:12:10 AM »
Every player that had an offer with ten or more years in deferrals past the last year played, have all been declined so Rendon looks like he's not coming back. I know that people are angry at bryce, but if I was offered a contract with deferrals that ended around 2050, I would not accept that either so I blame the Lerners on that one as no one except bobby bo would accept a contract with over 30 years of deferrals.

Offline HattoriHanzo

« Reply #1136: December 05, 2019, 04:33:28 AM »
Yep so many good players are angling to play in Miami, Tampa, and Phoenix they're all queued up itching to sign just so they can avoid paying those exhorbitant NYC, Boston, Philly, and Cali taxes.

The marlins (Stanton) and dbacks (greinke) have made record high at the time signings. Arizona, Texas, and Florida also have many current and former players living in those states. Las Vegas has quite a bit of current and former players living here and it's because of taxes and real estate prices. VGK have signed many of their players to long term team friendly deals and it has been mentioned that taxes and lifestyle has helped them sign those deals. Pro athletes in canada get hit hard with taxes and its been said that stars like Tavares relies on canadian sponsorship deals like McDonalds Canada or Kraft Canada to help make up the difference in taxes.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1137: December 05, 2019, 07:11:00 AM »
The marlins (Stanton) and dbacks (greinke) have made record high at the time signings. Arizona, Texas, and Florida also have many current and former players living in those states. Las Vegas has quite a bit of current and former players living here and it's because of taxes and real estate prices. VGK have signed many of their players to long term team friendly deals and it has been mentioned that taxes and lifestyle has helped them sign those deals. Pro athletes in canada get hit hard with taxes and its been said that stars like Tavares relies on canadian sponsorship deals like McDonalds Canada or Kraft Canada to help make up the difference in taxes.

Want to compare those two baseball players to the number willing to brave state taxes in  California, Massachusetts or New York?

Offline HattoriHanzo

« Reply #1138: December 05, 2019, 07:45:16 AM »
Want to compare those two baseball players to the number willing to brave state taxes in  California, Massachusetts or New York?

Thanks for reminding me that Oakland and San Diego are always spending in the top third of teams for the past 25 years.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1139: December 05, 2019, 08:05:35 AM »
Thanks for reminding me that Oakland and San Diego are always spending in the top third of teams for the past 25 years.

So the existence of low spending teams in California means that players go to low tax states (despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary) based on two players and a hockey team :lmao:

Online Slateman

« Reply #1140: December 05, 2019, 08:57:09 AM »
Dodgers
Yankees
Red Sox
Cubs

All big spenders. All in places with high taxes.

Y'all are either dumb or naïve if you believe players give two craps about taxes when they sign some place. For one thing, half their paychecks are being taxed in other states and cities, usually with some sort of special athlete tax on top of it. Then they're getting taxed by their home city under the same thing. Do you really think they give a crap about another 8% in taxes? They don't. They don't even notice. Hell, they don't even do their taxes.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1141: December 05, 2019, 09:04:10 AM »

Hmm. I wonder why a lot of people retire to Arizona, Texas and Florida, and Vegas. Taxes have got to be the only reason...

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1142: December 05, 2019, 09:16:27 AM »
Hmm. I wonder why a lot of people retire to Arizona, Texas and Florida, and Vegas. Taxes have got to be the only reason...
They are also warm and no or little snow.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1143: December 05, 2019, 09:18:40 AM »
Last year the rumors were almost all wrong. Don’t believe anything you read.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1144: December 05, 2019, 09:24:35 AM »
Dodgers
Yankees
Red Sox
Cubs

All big spenders. All in places with high taxes.

Y'all are either dumb or naïve if you believe players give two craps about taxes when they sign some place. For one thing, half their paychecks are being taxed in other states and cities, usually with some sort of special athlete tax on top of it. Then they're getting taxed by their home city under the same thing. Do you really think they give a crap about another 8% in taxes? They don't. They don't even notice. Hell, they don't even do their taxes.

It’s more of a factor now because of the Trump tax changes. State taxes that can be deducted on federal returns are now limited to $10000 which is almost nothing for these big contract athletes. So they can no longer deduct most of their state taxes on their federal returns. Their agents know this. The teams in localities with higher taxes draw athletes because they are contenders. Athletes can make it up with other deals.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1145: December 05, 2019, 09:30:21 AM »
They are also warm and no or little snow.

Sarcasm detector is off... ;)

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1146: December 05, 2019, 09:38:43 AM »
Sarcasm detector is off... ;)
Yes it is.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1147: December 05, 2019, 09:40:08 AM »
It’s more of a factor now because of the Trump tax changes. State taxes that can be deducted on federal returns are now limited to $10000 which is almost nothing for these big contract athletes. So they can no longer deduct most of their state taxes on their federal returns. Their agents know this. The teams in localities with higher taxes draw athletes because they are contenders. Athletes can make it up with other deals.

It makes the Lerners deferred contracts look better- maybe below a safe investment, but when you factor in state taxes wherever you retire vs state taxes while playing coupled with jock taxes, the equation starts to change (I’m waiting for a team/agent to find a way to salary offseason to avoid those ones)

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1148: December 05, 2019, 09:45:52 AM »
It makes the Lerners deferred contracts look better- maybe below a safe investment, but when you factor in state taxes wherever you retire vs state taxes while playing coupled with jock taxes, the equation starts to change (I’m waiting for a team/agent to find a way to salary offseason to avoid those ones)
I wonder where Bobby Bonilla resides?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1149: December 05, 2019, 09:54:53 AM »
I wonder where Bobby Bonilla resides?

The one time the discount rate utterly screwed the team- still another 16 years paying a million plus per to avoid paying a $5.9 million lump sum