Author Topic: Extend Rendon  (Read 66737 times)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Re: Extend Rendon
« Reply #950: October 01, 2019, 09:08:56 AM »
:) FWIW, When you go to the Fangraphs home page and hover over the search box for player names, right now the 3d name on the drop down is Rendon, behind Trout and Jack Flaherty.  Bryce is still in there, 4th, then Mookie, Gerrit Cole, Bregman, Scherzer, Alonso, and Ryu. 

This list of players is supposed to signify what exactly?  Fan rankings of who they view as the tops in MLB, most searched, fan faves?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #951: October 01, 2019, 09:16:58 AM »
Rockies and Padres both overspent on veteran third basemen and are 2 of the worst teams in the league.

Cardinals never signed Molina to a long term free agent type deal and had not issues letting Pujols walk and were much better off for it.   Turner's contract in his 30s was 16x4. Wainright and Kershaw are pitchers, and my point is that is where good teams are willing to hand out big free agent deals.  That said, Kershaw was willing to stay on shorter term, option laden deal.   I doubt either the Dodgers or Cards would give Rendon a $220+ million contract if they were in the same spot, and doubt either goes hard after him in free agency.

A 6 year contract means he starts his last year at age 34 (June 90 birthday).  That's not that far in the aging curve, and his bat could play at 1st if he lost any range.  I just don't see this as a high risk contract.  Contrast that to Bryce, whose contract goes to age to his age 38 season.

I agree we are in a period of transition when there seems to be more money spent on pitchers late in their career than position players getting long term deals into their 30s, but I think some of that is due to the big spending teams having a lot of young position talent coming up at the same time.  I also think that the conventional wisdom that smart money doesn't chase pitchers long term over 30 is still generally right, Verlander and Scherzer being huge exceptions. Lots more Prices, Sales, CCs, etc... than there are $150MM+ contracts for pitchers that work out. 

You take the Nats where they are.  They can probably stop gap at 3d and upgrade at 1st to remain competitive next year or two if they don't sign Rendon, but a 6-7 year commitment at Arenado's AAV probably isn't stupid money.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #952: October 01, 2019, 09:21:05 AM »
This list of players is supposed to signify what exactly?  Fan rankings of who they view as the tops in MLB, most searched, fan faves?
most searched, which is a measure of popularity or interest.  Trout, Harper, and Betts aren't relevant to the playoffs but have big followings.  I think Flaherty and and Rendon are getting "who are the key guys for the playoff teams that I don't regularly follow," and Cole and Rendon are getting the "who are the big free agent" interest.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #953: October 01, 2019, 09:33:12 AM »
most searched, which is a measure of popularity or interest.  Trout, Harper, and Betts aren't relevant to the playoffs but have big followings.  I think Flaherty and and Rendon are getting "who are the key guys for the playoff teams that I don't regularly follow," and Cole and Rendon are getting the "who are the big free agent" interest.
Yep.

Marco Luciano is the top minor leaguer

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #954: October 01, 2019, 10:02:31 AM »
A 6 year contract means he starts his last year at age 34 (June 90 birthday).  That's not that far in the aging curve, and his bat could play at 1st if he lost any range.  I just don't see this as a high risk contract.  Contrast that to Bryce, whose contract goes to age to his age 38 season.

I agree we are in a period of transition when there seems to be more money spent on pitchers late in their career than position players getting long term deals into their 30s, but I think some of that is due to the big spending teams having a lot of young position talent coming up at the same time.  I also think that the conventional wisdom that smart money doesn't chase pitchers long term over 30 is still generally right, Verlander and Scherzer being huge exceptions. Lots more Prices, Sales, CCs, etc... than there are $150MM+ contracts for pitchers that work out. 

You take the Nats where they are.  They can probably stop gap at 3d and upgrade at 1st to remain competitive next year or two if they don't sign Rendon, but a 6-7 year commitment at Arenado's AAV probably isn't stupid money.
A 6 year deal at Aranado's AAV is 195/6, which I'm sure the Nats would be fine paying.   I still think years 5 and 6 when they are basically his 34 and 35 yo season are getting into lower percentage chances of working out.   They'd probably be ok going to 7/225 or something.  That's where it is starting to get dicey and odds of having dead money for 2 or 3 years goes up.   I assume Boras won't sign for less than 8/260 before testing free agency, and that is the kind of contract that is likely to hurt our team for a few years.  Like the other Boras guys, he'll go to some team foolishly trying to make a splash and play out his career on a crappy team rolling around on his pile of money.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #955: October 01, 2019, 10:29:41 AM »
A 6 year contract means he starts his last year at age 34 (June 90 birthday).  That's not that far in the aging curve, and his bat could play at 1st if he lost any range.
A significant component of his value is that he's an elite third baseman.  (Contrast Harper: not an elite anything.)  Rendon's value is diminished at any other position.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #956: October 01, 2019, 10:37:04 AM »

I think the all star balloting shows a greater representation of baseball fans and Rendon's results are about as poor as fellow Texan, Beto. ;)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #957: October 01, 2019, 11:19:33 AM »
A 6 year deal at Aranado's AAV is 195/6, which I'm sure the Nats would be fine paying.   I still think years 5 and 6 when they are basically his 34 and 35 yo season are getting into lower percentage chances of working out.   They'd probably be ok going to 7/225 or something.  That's where it is starting to get dicey and odds of having dead money for 2 or 3 years goes up.   I assume Boras won't sign for less than 8/260 before testing free agency, and that is the kind of contract that is likely to hurt our team for a few years.  Like the other Boras guys, he'll go to some team foolishly trying to make a splash and play out his career on a crappy team rolling around on his pile of money.
I really do think 6/ $195 is fine, good faith offer. I sort of judge all the other contract offers off of that.  I also think adding $65MM to that and 2 years is too rich for me. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #958: October 01, 2019, 11:34:07 AM »
The deferrals are so small-time and on-brand for Mark. He probably gave this offer to Boras and Tony on a half-used paper towel to save 10 cents.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #959: October 01, 2019, 11:36:08 AM »
The deferrals are so small-time and on-brand for Mark. He probably gave this offer to Boras and Tony on a half-used paper towel to save 10 cents.

:spit:

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #960: October 01, 2019, 01:08:50 PM »
The mets stars are young so they're not getting big bucks. I guess they'll have to pay Cespedes next year but they're crazy if they don't go hard after Rendon.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #961: October 01, 2019, 09:16:37 PM »
As soon as he was brought up in the MVP conversation, he folded shop.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #962: October 01, 2019, 10:54:08 PM »
I'm betting the negotiations ended about three weeks ago and Rendon decided he didnt GAF

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #963: October 02, 2019, 12:07:24 AM »
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline hotshot

« Reply #964: October 02, 2019, 08:46:27 AM »
In terms of signing Rendon, it might've only moved the needle a hair but ... winning that one last night was sure better than losing it.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #965: October 02, 2019, 09:43:43 AM »
Both him and Soto were unflappable.  Some guys hype themselves out of their best game. To have the bad PAs all night and to be so calm in the 8th to work counts deep just shows a couple of great heads. 

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #966: October 02, 2019, 10:00:34 AM »
Both him and Soto were unflappable.  Some guys hype themselves out of their best game. To have the bad PAs all night and to be so calm in the 8th to work counts deep just shows a couple of great heads. 

This

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #967: October 02, 2019, 10:06:21 AM »

There is a clip of Anthony Rendon yawning in the dugout a few minutes before the at bat.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #968: October 02, 2019, 11:45:22 AM »
There is a clip of Anthony Rendon yawning in the dugout a few minutes before the at bat.

People here will see that as a sign he doesn’t care...

Offline Slateman

« Reply #969: October 02, 2019, 11:46:56 AM »
Of course. The Rorschach Yaw. You think he doesn't care, this supports your belief. If you think he is always relaxed, this supports your belief.

I think it's going to suck to watch him walk away. I just hope it's to a non-rival team, as I'd like to cheer for him when he comes back to visit.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #970: October 02, 2019, 11:49:14 AM »

or maybe, he was just tired? 

FWIW, Zimmerman was doing interviews on the radio at 7 AM yesterday.   

Offline Slateman

« Reply #971: October 03, 2019, 11:49:22 PM »
Is he hurt? His bat has totally disappeared over the last month

« Reply #972: October 04, 2019, 03:44:29 AM »
He’s thinking about the free agency. His head is not in the game

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House