Author Topic: Extend Rendon  (Read 65982 times)

Offline Scrapple

Re: Extend Rendon
« Reply #625: July 12, 2019, 09:26:23 AM »

Why did Corbin who plays every fifth day get everything he wanted but not Rendon who plays every day? Team is middle of the road in offense now. Watch how they drop more next year.
Corbin is grinding out/facing 30 MLB hitters to get to the 7th inning every 5th day while Rendon only has to grind out 20 AB’s total every 5 days and field a few ground balls??? Corbin gives us more impact and bang for the buck over the long haul. 1 of 5 starters versus 1 of 8 position players.

Geesh, maybe I should reevaluate the contract JCA-CrystalCity and I just offered Rendon.  :shock:

Let’s go Naaaaaaaaats!

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #626: July 12, 2019, 09:51:07 AM »
Corbin is grinding out/facing 30 MLB hitters to get to the 7th inning every 5th day while Rendon only has to grind out 20 AB’s total every 5 days and field a few ground balls??? Corbin gives us more impact and bang for the buck over the long haul. 1 of 5 starters versus 1 of 8 position players.

Geesh, maybe I should reevaluate the contract JCA-CrystalCity and I just offered Rendon.  :shock:

Let’s go Naaaaaaaaats!

Literally none of what you said is even remotely true.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #627: July 12, 2019, 10:11:04 AM »
Corbin is grinding out/facing 30 MLB hitters to get to the 7th inning every 5th day

:hysterical:

If he's facing 30 batters TO GET TO the 7th inning every 5th day he's absolutely getting clobbered and this....

Corbin gives us more impact and bang for the buck over the long haul.

cannot be true.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #628: July 12, 2019, 10:12:47 AM »
I don’t think ANYONE “hates” Rendon. In fact, I really like Rendon just not for $250,000,000.00. I’d rather see Mike Rizzo and the Lerners stay the course by spending the big bucks on pitching and doing the best they can scoring runs with the young guys under control and aging fillers. I really like their formula.

:lmao:

Offline Scrapple

« Reply #629: July 12, 2019, 10:20:10 AM »
Literally none of what you said is even remotely true.
So after repeatedly seeing great pitching dominate great hitters for YEARS you would rather have “one” third-baseman versus having a GREAT starter and a solid bullpen for the same cost????

Do you watch the games, or are you reading the backs of Bubblegum cards?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #630: July 12, 2019, 10:26:43 AM »
So after repeatedly seeing great pitching dominate great hitters for YEARS you would rather have “one” third-baseman versus having a GREAT starter and a solid bullpen for the same cost????

Ironic you say that the year following the AL mvp winning a ring, the NL mvp making the NLCS and neither cry young winner making the playoffs

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #631: July 12, 2019, 11:24:41 AM »

Last three world series winners have been 1st, 1st, and 3rd in runs scored. Pretty sure you need offense

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #632: July 12, 2019, 12:13:02 PM »

Last three world series winners have been 1st, 1st, and 3rd in runs scored. Pretty sure you need offense
Scrapple thinks it’s 1969.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #633: July 12, 2019, 12:38:08 PM »
WELL hell,  that's  more burgers 《McDonalds happy meal burgers at that) than they gave Martinez.

Offline Scrapple

« Reply #634: July 12, 2019, 01:19:05 PM »

10 of the top 11 teams with the best team era had “90+” wins in 2018 and all of them were in the Playoffs.
On the other hand, our Nationals finished 8th in runs scored but couldn’t even get a sniff of the Playoffs. Pretty sure you need pitching.  :roll:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #635: July 12, 2019, 01:20:42 PM »
I honestly don't see how we score significant runs next year if Rendon walks. Rizzo is terrible at under-the-radar pickups, he's good at some  trades or big free agent signings. Allocating Rendon's money to stopgaps at 3B, 2B, 1B and the bullpen is a terrifying thought.

Without Rendon next year's roster has 1 player you can pencil in for an OPS over .800.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #636: July 12, 2019, 03:15:49 PM »
Without Rendon next year's roster has 1 player you can pencil in for an OPS over .800.

Zimm?   :hysterical:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #637: July 12, 2019, 03:17:06 PM »
Soto?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #638: July 12, 2019, 03:41:30 PM »
Donaldson is available as a FA next year.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #639: July 24, 2019, 10:48:20 AM »
Can't believe the Lerners are going to let this guy walk. Every other team in baseball looks to lock up their homegrown stars; the Lerners would rather spend the money on...30+ year old roster stopgap signings.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #640: July 24, 2019, 10:51:01 AM »
Can't believe the Lerners are going to let this guy walk. Every other team in baseball looks to lock up their homegrown stars; the Lerners would rather spend the money on...30+ year old roster stopgap signings.

You’re assuming they have a choice- it’s possible that he just wants to test free agency

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #641: July 24, 2019, 10:53:07 AM »
You’re assuming they have a choice- it’s possible that he just wants to test free agency

Maybe, and maybe Boras has been asking for an insanely unrealistic contract. But Boras got Arenado done with Colorado, and Rendon doesn't strike me as a "I need to set records!" guy like Bryce. Considering this is far from the first time ownership (and Rizzo, I guess) has taken a hard line on in-house players up for free agency, my gut tells me they drew that line this winter, and now than Rendon is killing it, Boras has upped his demands because he has all the leverage. Ownership has no reason to have earned the benefit of the doubt here.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #642: July 24, 2019, 10:58:21 AM »
Arenado had to drop Boras to go after a long term deal.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #643: July 24, 2019, 10:58:59 AM »
Maybe, and maybe Boras has been asking for an insanely unrealistic contract. But Boras got Arenado done with Colorado, and Rendon doesn't strike me as a "I need to set records!" guy like Bryce. Considering this is far from the first time ownership (and Rizzo, I guess) has taken a hard line on in-house players up for free agency, my gut tells me they drew that line this winter, and now than Rendon is killing it, Boras has upped his demands because he has all the leverage. Ownership has no reason to have earned the benefit of the doubt here.

The nats consistently have the highest payroll in the division- this cheap owners trope is getting old.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #644: July 24, 2019, 11:15:05 AM »
The nats consistently have the highest payroll in the division- this cheap owners trope is getting old.
The deferred money offers stuff is getting old. Was ok with Harper because they had replacements. They lose Rendon and it’s a weak lineup.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #645: July 24, 2019, 11:22:52 AM »
The deferred money offers stuff is getting old. Was ok with Harper because they had replacements. They lose Rendon and it’s a weak lineup.

That’s what happens when a team’s largest revenue stream is somewhere between unreliable and nonexistent

https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/according-to-the-nationals-masn-hasnt-paid-them-a-rights-fee-in-nearly-a-year.html

Blame rizzo and crappy scouting and player development if the answer to every problem has to be a record breaking contract

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #646: July 24, 2019, 11:23:11 AM »

I'm not saying they are cheap, I am saying they tend to take a hard line at a certain number and are comfortable with letting homegrown players walk. They did it to Jordan Zimmermann, Ian Desmond and Bryce Harper. The difference is, we had ready replacements for all three of those guys and could easily have baseball reasons to let them walk. Not the same situation here, though it looks like ownership is acting like Carter Kieboom is prime to be a .900 OPS 2B next year.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #647: July 24, 2019, 11:26:41 AM »
I'm not saying they are cheap, I am saying they tend to take a hard line at a certain number and are comfortable with letting homegrown players walk. They did it to Jordan Zimmermann, Ian Desmond and Bryce Harper. The difference is, we had ready replacements for all three of those guys and could easily have baseball reasons to let them walk. Not the same situation here, though it looks like ownership is acting like Carter Kieboom is prime to be a .900 OPS 2B next year.
Blame rizzo and crappy scouting and player development if the answer to every problem has to be a record breaking contract

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #648: July 24, 2019, 11:33:21 AM »

You know I'm happily on the "Rizzo kind of sucks at a lot of his job" train. Apparently ownership likes to drive the bus when it comes to these big contracts, though, so they take some responsibility.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #649: July 24, 2019, 11:35:41 AM »
Strasburg being about the only exception, Boras just isn't going to sign an extension for anything less than what he thinks is the most a guy will get on free agency.  A Boras controlled player has no asset value to the team he is on past the last year of team control.   Giving fat long term deals to homegrown guys on the cusp of free agency has hand-cuffed many a team and has rarely worked out in the best interest of the team.   

None of the perennially successful, high payroll teams were willing to give Harper more than the Nats were offering either.