Author Topic: Extend Rendon  (Read 65974 times)

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

Re: Extend Rendon
« Reply #400: April 13, 2019, 08:16:20 AM »
I get the feeling that we arent gonna extend him and Rizzo really likes Kieboom and Garcia.

I don’t think it has anything to do with Rizzo. I’m sure he wants Rendon back but if the owner isn’t willing to pay then what do you do? Most fans convinced themselves not paying Harper was so the Lerners could afford to pay Turner and Rendon but I don’t think that’s the case. Both will walk due to the Lerners unwillingness to offer market value deals. And if you’re the Phillies, why not sign Rendon too if your rival is dumb enough to keep letting their best players walk?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #401: April 13, 2019, 08:40:51 AM »
Has anyone looked at our payroll for next year?  Can we afford 25 million for Rendon?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #402: April 13, 2019, 08:57:09 AM »
Has anyone looked at our payroll for next year?  Can we afford 25 million for Rendon?

Why not? Dozier and Rosenthal are taking up 13 million right now.

Can they afford not to? Soto ain't carrying a lineup. Turner is never healthy it seems. Robles? Maybe. Keiboom? Unknown what he is at this point.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #403: April 13, 2019, 09:19:51 AM »
Can we afford 25 million for Rendon?
How could we possibly not? We offered Harper more than that and we still have that money (most of it). Rendon is far more valuable than Harper.

Offline imref

« Reply #404: April 13, 2019, 09:29:30 AM »
How could we possibly not? We offered Harper more than that and we still have that money (most of it). Rendon is far more valuable than Harper.

Harper's money went to Corbin.  We're about $7 million or so under the luxury tax right now last time I checked.

Offline imref

« Reply #405: April 13, 2019, 09:39:39 AM »
I looked it up.  According to this: https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/washington-nationals/payroll/2020/

We're about $39 million under the cap for 2020.  So say you give Rendon $25-30, that leaves about $9 million for any other positions.

FAs at the end of 2019:
- Zimmerman ($18 million Team option or $2m buyout)
- Strasburg (Player option)
- Rendon (obviously)
- Dozier (bye)
- Rosenthal (see Dozier)
- Kendrick (see Rosenthal)
- Eaton (team option at $9.5 million or $1.5 million buyout)
- Gomes (team option at $9.0 million or $1 million buyout)
- Doolittle (team option at $6.5 million or $500k buyout)
- Sipp (team option at $2.5 million or $250k buyout)

The $39 million assumes we exercise options on everyone.  But I think it's safe to assume that Zimmerman and Sipp are gone.  So that add $18.75 million to the cap space number assuming my math is correct, and no major holes to fill save for 1B where Adams and Noll, or Adams and Zimmerman on a low value deal are likely fillers.

So to answer my own question, yeah, we can easily afford to give a big contract to Rendon and still not worry about cap space.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #406: April 13, 2019, 10:07:20 AM »

To an owner, Harper is much more valuable.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #407: April 13, 2019, 04:05:43 PM »
Just ship this franchise back to Montreal if the Lerners don't re-sign Rendon.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #408: April 13, 2019, 04:07:58 PM »
Just ship this franchise back to Montreal if the Lerners don't re-sign Rendon.
your marklar is marklar, young marklar.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #409: April 13, 2019, 08:31:10 PM »
Rendon with his 10th straight game getting an extra base hit just broke the record which was held by Zim.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #410: April 13, 2019, 09:02:42 PM »
Rendon with his 10th straight game getting an extra base hit just broke the record which was held by Zim.

I'm afraid the ship has sailed.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #411: April 14, 2019, 06:14:52 AM »
I'm afraid the ship has sailed.

Ironic in that they'll both be leaving at the end of the year.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #412: April 14, 2019, 07:26:08 AM »
I don’t think it has anything to do with Rizzo. I’m sure he wants Rendon back but if the owner isn’t willing to pay then what do you do? Most fans convinced themselves not paying Harper was so the Lerners could afford to pay Turner and Rendon but I don’t think that’s the case. Both will walk due to the Lerners unwillingness to offer market value deals. And if you’re the Phillies, why not sign Rendon too if your rival is dumb enough to keep letting their best players walk?

Ugh

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #413: April 14, 2019, 07:56:22 AM »
It seems like the Lerners are willing to pay plenty for pitching. They learned that approach somewhere. Where else if not from Rizzo?

Offline Scrapple

« Reply #414: April 14, 2019, 08:41:57 AM »
It seems like the Lerners are willing to pay plenty for pitching. They learned that approach somewhere. Where else if not from Rizzo?
Not a bad approach IMO.
Bad pitching demoralizes a team more than bad hitting(scoring runs). Good pitching will at least keep you in the game. Obviously they are both bad but like the Lerners, I would also move my top dollars towards pitching over hitting if it were my choice.
Rendon is a nice player in his prime however, if he isn’t willing to take a reasonable hometown offer let him walk too. Garcia is also “A REALLY NICE PLAYER” worth the risk to save the dollars for pitching.
I really like Rendon’s bat and glove but I would not overpay - along with his history of injury.
22million x 7years is about right or bye-bye.

GO NAAAAAAAAAATS!!!

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #415: April 14, 2019, 09:00:18 AM »
If I'm the Nats, I'm betting that Rendon doesn't want to play all that long. He's a different cat, with different motivations. I'm saying this based on the things he's said, like that he's already made enough money to be set for life.

I'd offer him big dollars for five years, see if he'll bite.

Not a bad approach IMO.
Bad pitching demoralizes a team more than bad hitting(scoring runs). Good pitching will at least keep you in the game. Obviously they are both bad but like the Lerners, I would also move my top dollars towards pitching over hitting if it were my choice.
Rendon is a nice player in his prime however, if he isn’t willing to take a reasonable hometown offer let him walk too. Garcia is also “A REALLY NICE PLAYER” worth the risk to save the dollars for pitching.
I really like Rendon’s bat and glove but I would not overpay - along with his history of injury.

GO NAAAAAAAAAATS!!!

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #416: April 14, 2019, 09:09:52 AM »
Can't wait to be the Phillies AAA team!

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #417: April 14, 2019, 11:23:13 AM »
I was fine with Harper walking since about 2017.

Losing Rendon would be a brutal break.

Offline whiffnet

« Reply #418: April 14, 2019, 12:13:58 PM »
Albies is 22 years old...why in the world would somebody quote how many homers he hit as a teenager in the minors like that's who he is?  He plays a more premium defensive position than Markakis if you're making that comp.  He also can run, something Markakis can't do.

Because it is evidence that he doesn't project for power, I don't care how many he hit in the beginning of last season, he is 5'7 inches, he was NEVER expected to hit for power, it wasn't like they were just waiting for him to get older. Last year was on outlier, evidenced by the fact that he only hit 4 HR in the 2nd half and 1 so far this year despite being off to a hot start.

I wasn't comparing him as a player to Markakis, just his offensive production, which I clearly stated...

People see that HR total last year and they get the wrong impression, he is a ~15 HR per year max hitter. Who SO FAR has only managed .270/.320 in the MLB and if he continued where he left off last year would need to be platooned. No I don't expect EITHER of those things to remain true, but they are why he didn't receive more money, he wanted guaranteed money ASAP, that was his choice, if he wanted more he should have waited to negotiate.

Offline Ace_1106

« Reply #419: April 15, 2019, 12:53:51 AM »

😂😂😂

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #420: April 15, 2019, 11:10:59 AM »
I looked it up.  According to this: https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/washington-nationals/payroll/2020/

We're about $39 million under the cap for 2020.  So say you give Rendon $25-30, that leaves about $9 million for any other positions.

FAs at the end of 2019:
- Rendon (obviously)
- Dozier (bye)
- Rosenthal (see Dozier)

The $39 million assumes we exercise options on everyone.  But I think it's safe to assume that Zimmerman and Sipp are gone.  So that add $18.75 million to the cap space number assuming my math is correct, and no major holes to fill save for 1B where Adams and Noll, or Adams and Zimmerman on a low value deal are likely fillers.

So to answer my own question, yeah, we can easily afford to give a big contract to Rendon and still not worry about cap space.

You'd still need a second baseman (presumably Kieboom, which is a nice cheap luxury if he works) and to fix the bullpen yet again.  Moving Adams into the everyday lineup would also leave you with a terrible bench and basically nothing in the minors to help in the event of any position player injuries.   

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #421: April 15, 2019, 11:29:13 AM »
Where does that leave the Reds?
Can't wait to be the Phillies AAA team!

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #422: April 15, 2019, 11:55:30 AM »
Where does that leave the Reds?

Cincinnati.  Do you think they'd go for AA if they could move?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #423: April 15, 2019, 12:03:48 PM »
That way Bill Bray could still play!

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #424: April 15, 2019, 04:03:15 PM »

FAs at the end of 2019:
- Rendon (obviously)
- Dozier (bye)
- Rosenthal (see Dozier)

9 mill is pricey for Gomes.  He's fairly solid, but he's not really an above-average guy that can produce for 125-130 games at catcher.  We'll see how he does, but I'd think he gets 1 mill and a thanks for your service.