Author Topic: Extend Rendon  (Read 66822 times)

Offline Briggs

Re: Extend Rendon
« Reply #375: April 07, 2019, 08:22:47 PM »
Tyson's could be called Lerner's - yet these owners complain about a luxury tax?  Please!  Award your long time employees

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #376: April 07, 2019, 08:50:03 PM »
Tyson's could be called Lerner's - yet these owners complain about a luxury tax?  Please!  Award your long time employees

Tyson's is totally Awesome !

Much better shopping than anything within the DC city limits...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #377: April 07, 2019, 09:54:23 PM »
My gut is telling me that Tony wants to go home to Texas...

I don't think he'll sell out the Nats like Harper did though.
Like Harper wanted to go to the west coast.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #378: April 07, 2019, 10:13:14 PM »
He deserves a better offer than the one Harper received

Don’t know what the Nats are waiting for. His price is only going to go up. Really reflects poorly on the front office. Show some loyalty to your best player.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #379: April 07, 2019, 10:18:35 PM »
Like Harper wanted to go to the west coast.

I was convinced that Harper wanted to be a Yankee.

But the Yankees didn't want him... :D

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #380: April 07, 2019, 10:44:06 PM »
The Lerners deferred money on the Scherzer contract allows them to pay the luxury tax. But they don’t want to. They are convinced Kieboom can take Rendon’s place.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #381: April 07, 2019, 10:44:46 PM »
I was convinced that Harper wanted to be a Yankee.

But the Yankees didn't want him... :D
They will trade for him in a couple years. He was a better fit there than Stanton.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #382: April 07, 2019, 10:49:53 PM »
Is there any reason to spend the money when you're not going to compete with him being productive?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #383: April 10, 2019, 09:04:36 PM »

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #384: April 11, 2019, 03:25:42 PM »
Ozzie Albies just signed a 9-year, $45 million contract. Around the league, studs are signing long-term deals with their home clubs.

Meanwhile, Mark Lerner is googling how to defer $280 million over 100 years.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #385: April 11, 2019, 03:41:25 PM »
Ozzie Albies just signed a 9-year, $45 million contract. Around the league, studs are signing long-term deals with their home clubs.

Meanwhile, Mark Lerner is googling how to defer $280 million over 100 years.

If that is the real number, that's an awful deal for Albies. Like probably the least player-friendly deal I have ever seen. I'm sure we would have signed Rendon twice if he was willing to accept something like that.

Albies is 22. I cannot reiterate how awful this deal seems at first blush.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #386: April 11, 2019, 03:47:05 PM »
If that is the real number, that's an awful deal for Albies. Like probably the least player-friendly deal I have ever seen. I'm sure we would have signed Rendon twice if he was willing to accept something like that.

oh yeah, it's a terrible deal, but just more evidence to throw in the "players will re-sign long term with their club" pile with goldschmidt, acuna, etc.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #387: April 11, 2019, 04:18:47 PM »
I just fail to believe how unwilling this club is to sign someone early.  They've literally let Harper walk, are about to lose Rendon or else pay him well over $20MM/yr, and most likely will let Turner, Robles and Soto go to the threshold of free agency before lifting a finger.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #388: April 11, 2019, 04:21:22 PM »
I just fail to believe how unwilling this club is to sign someone early.  They've literally let Harper walk, are about to lose Rendon or else pay him well over $20MM/yr, and most likely will let Turner, Robles and Soto go to the threshold of free agency before lifting a finger.

Is the only home-grown guy we've extended Strasburg?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #389: April 11, 2019, 04:33:15 PM »

You’re assuming the guy is willing to sign without testing free agency- it’s my standard line, but there is a reason a player hires Boras and it’s not to sign a long term deal that works for all parties, it’s to squeeze every nickel possible out of free agency

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #390: April 11, 2019, 04:59:15 PM »
Is the only home-grown guy we've extended Strasburg?

Zim.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #391: April 11, 2019, 05:12:58 PM »
You’re assuming the guy is willing to sign without testing free agency- it’s my standard line, but there is a reason a player hires Boras and it’s not to sign a long term deal that works for all parties, it’s to squeeze every nickel possible out of free agency
If it were only Boras clients, or if there weren't a lot of these deals getting done by many other teams, then I'd say there's nothing going on.  But that just isn't the case.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #392: April 11, 2019, 05:30:21 PM »
If it were only Boras clients, or if there weren't a lot of these deals getting done by many other teams, then I'd say there's nothing going on.  But that just isn't the case.

Zimmermann is the only guy we have passed on that I disagreed with and it turns out the team was right. You can argue Desmond, but the same holds

Offline whiffnet

« Reply #393: April 11, 2019, 05:44:50 PM »

Albies is a career .270/.320 hitter, with splits so bad in the 2nd half of last year he would have to be platooned and only had 4 HRs. He doesn't project for power, his HR numbers last year were on outlier, he had 16 HRs his entire career in the minors.

If he lives up to his potential the contract will be renegotiated before the options years, so the small $$ values attached to those years are irrelevant, and he is young enough to still cash in when he hits FA if he so wishes.

He projects to put up Markakis like numbers, maybe with more power but also lower OBP.

It was a smart move, you can't compare the deal of a player, who has been streaky, inconsistent, and not played the way he projects, to what he could get in arbitration if he turned into the next Altuve. He's probably losing about $10MM maybe 15 if he lives up to this potential and the deal doesn't* get renegotiated, small beans compared to his career earnings potential, for guaranteed money on the team he wants to play for, playing with his best friend.

It's a 7 year $35MM deal for a .270/.320 2B who doesn't project for power.

Sure he could make more if he went straight to FA, but he might not end up where he wants to be. And maybe he could make more if he waited longer to extend, but he wanted the smart money. He eliminated all risk, doesn't have to worry about injury, and 2nd half of last year he hit .226/.282, .231/.282 against RHP on the year.

You don't get guaranteed money in your 2nd full season on par with what you could get in arbitration/FA, especially not when you had a 2nd half like Albies did last year.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #394: April 12, 2019, 01:36:18 PM »
I get the feeling that we arent gonna extend him and Rizzo really likes Kieboom and Garcia.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #395: April 12, 2019, 01:59:12 PM »
I get the feeling that we arent gonna extend him and Rizzo really likes Kieboom and Garcia.
I think that is the team philosophy.  Only extend veterans if it is at a below market rate. Internally developed guys always play at a discount, either because they have not hit free agency or because they take below free agent money for extensions.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #396: April 12, 2019, 02:30:33 PM »
Albies is a career .270/.320 hitter, with splits so bad in the 2nd half of last year he would have to be platooned and only had 4 HRs. He doesn't project for power, his HR numbers last year were on outlier, he had 16 HRs his entire career in the minors.

If he lives up to his potential the contract will be renegotiated before the options years, so the small $$ values attached to those years are irrelevant, and he is young enough to still cash in when he hits FA if he so wishes.

He projects to put up Markakis like numbers, maybe with more power but also lower OBP.

It was a smart move, you can't compare the deal of a player, who has been streaky, inconsistent, and not played the way he projects, to what he could get in arbitration if he turned into the next Altuve. He's probably losing about $10MM maybe 15 if he lives up to this potential and the deal doesn't* get renegotiated, small beans compared to his career earnings potential, for guaranteed money on the team he wants to play for, playing with his best friend.

Sure he could make more if he went straight to FA, but he might not end up where he wants to be. And maybe he could make more if he waited longer to extend, but he wanted the smart money. He eliminated all risk, doesn't have to worry about injury, and 2nd half of last year he hit .226/.282, .231/.282 against RHP on the year.

You don't get guaranteed money in your 2nd full season on par with what you could get in arbitration/FA, especially not when you had a 2nd half like Albies did last year.

Albies is 22 years old...why in the world would somebody quote how many homers he hit as a teenager in the minors like that's who he is?  He plays a more premium defensive position than Markakis if you're making that comp.  He also can run, something Markakis can't do. 

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #397: April 13, 2019, 12:32:08 AM »
For the first time since buying the team, the Lerners are going to have an MLB-level salary next year for the new field manager.  Maybe they'll sleep better if they pass on the exorbitant amount Boras will ask for.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #398: April 13, 2019, 12:47:07 AM »
For the first time since buying the team, the Lerners are going to have an MLB-level salary next year for the new field manager.  Maybe they'll sleep better if they pass on the exorbitant amount Boras will ask for.

Huh?

« Reply #399: April 13, 2019, 03:20:34 AM »

Would be smart for more guys in Albies situation to do the same thing, I get the feeling we'll be seeing more players who avoid hitting FA if they can get anywhere remotely close to a fair deal to stay with their current team. I'm guessing most players aren't going to want to risk the abyss that is FA and possibly not know where they're going until February for a bit more $$$ somewhere else.