Author Topic: Extend Rendon  (Read 66499 times)

Offline Ace_1106

Re: Extend Rendon
« Reply #250: March 20, 2019, 09:29:01 AM »
Alex Bregman just got a 6 year, 100 million dollar deal. I think this is good news for us to extend Rendon.

Bregman is coming off a career year and is only 24.

16.6m/ year for Bregman. You'd think Rendon would take a 5 year, 90 mil deal.

😂😂

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #251: March 20, 2019, 09:57:07 AM »
Rendon is making $19 million this year. You want him to take a pay cut?

I'd start at $125M/5, see where it goes from there. I don't get the sense that he wants to play forever from listening to interviews with him. If he wants more years, I'd give it to him, with commensurate money, with the understanding that he's moving to 2B at some point.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #252: March 20, 2019, 10:22:43 AM »
with the understanding that he's moving to 2B at some point.
Why? Second requires more mobility and range than third, both of which diminish with age.  Third requires better reflexes and stronger arm than second, both of which don't diminish as fast.   Career shortstops often move to third late in their careers.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #253: March 20, 2019, 10:43:56 AM »
I'd start at $125M/5, see where it goes from there. I don't get the sense that he wants to play forever from listening to interviews with him. If he wants more years, I'd give it to him, with commensurate money, with the understanding that he's moving to 2B at some point.
next move is across to 1st, not back to 2d. 

5 / $140MM is $28MM AAV.  That's not much of a discount to Arenado.  I'd go 6/ $170 to get it done.  defer $20MM of it if Rendon would agree, but don't get piggy.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #254: March 20, 2019, 10:56:54 AM »
FWIW, according to this: https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/washington-nationals/payroll/2020/ the Nationals have about $39 million in space for 2020 assuming they want to stay under the CBT.  So figure if Rendon gets $25 million, that leaves $14 million for other FAs, and that's before arbitration.  That number includes $18 million for Zimmerman, but if you assume. he's bought out, that proves another $16 million in space for 2020.

Open slots:  5th starter, 1B, BP

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #257: March 20, 2019, 12:18:19 PM »
“ I think if your identity is not in the game, if you’re who you are as a person, you’re not using this to base who you are as a person. … Unless your identity is in the game, I feel like you shouldn’t be looking for that.
Can someone please translate....

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #258: March 20, 2019, 12:21:32 PM »
Why? Second requires more mobility and range than third, both of which diminish with age.  Third requires better reflexes and stronger arm than second, both of which don't diminish as fast.   Career shortstops often move to third late in their careers.

You're right. I was thinking about making room for Keiboom, but he might be better suited to 2nd.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #259: March 20, 2019, 12:22:50 PM »
Can someone please translate....

He did an entire interview with Grant and Danny where he featured this line of thought. I wasn't sure exactly what it meant except maybe "I don't need all the money in the world" and maybe "I don't want to play forever."

Offline rbw5t

« Reply #260: March 20, 2019, 12:28:09 PM »
I think from his perspective it means they have to pay him a lot.  He doesn't eat, breathe, live and die baseball, so won't settle for a below market deal just get a deal done.  His personal identity isn't wrapped up in his reputation as a player, so he doesn't need to be loved by the organization or fans in a way that would lead to taking a team discount.  I agree he's hard to translate, but to me the point is, rather than being a Stras type who just wanted to get it taken care of, he more of the mind that "this is a job, pay me the salary that I'm worth."

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #261: March 20, 2019, 12:40:49 PM »
I think from his perspective it means they have to pay him a lot.  He doesn't eat, breathe, live and die baseball, so won't settle for a below market deal just get a deal done.  His personal identity isn't wrapped up in his reputation as a player, so he doesn't need to be loved by the organization or fans in a way that would lead to taking a team discount.  I agree he's hard to translate, but to me the point is, rather than being a Stras type who just wanted to get it taken care of, he more of the mind that "this is a job, pay me the salary that I'm worth."
It may be then that he doesn't envision playing for many years and so he could be happy with a relatively short term contract. Four or five years.  If so they should give him whatever he's asking for.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #262: March 20, 2019, 01:02:31 PM »
Remember this is the guy who has said baseball is boring, I think he’s phenomenally gifted at something he doesn’t really enjoy, so it may just be a matter of hitting a certain number in the bank then retirement

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #263: March 20, 2019, 01:17:41 PM »
Remember this is the guy who has said baseball is boring, I think he’s phenomenally gifted at something he doesn’t really enjoy, so it may just be a matter of hitting a certain number in the bank then retirement

This is how I read it. Just get as much as he can on the one contract and be done.

(Smirk)

Offline Ace_1106

« Reply #264: March 20, 2019, 02:26:07 PM »
He said WATCHING baseball was boring.

I stated before that their original offer was way too low. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't hit the free agent market.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #265: March 20, 2019, 02:38:55 PM »

I stated before that their original offer was way too low. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't hit the free agent market.

What was the original offer?

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #266: March 20, 2019, 03:38:46 PM »

Yea, the way he's always smiling on the diamond, he clearly enjoys playing the game.  I enjoying watching baseball...but do I take naps sometimes while watching the Nats on TV in the middle innings?  Sure.  I love baseball and defend it from non-fans that call it boring...but truthfully...it is boring at times.  Just a slow, long season.

Offline Ace_1106

« Reply #267: March 20, 2019, 04:21:11 PM »

Very similar to his current salary.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #268: March 20, 2019, 04:25:44 PM »
Very similar to his current salary.

Source?

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #269: March 20, 2019, 08:13:25 PM »
I heard Thom Lavero say on the radio today a MASN settlement is expected any day now. He said it is expected the decision will mostly be in the Nats favor. He said the Nats case for the settlement is they need the money to sign players. So Lavero said if all that is true the Nats would be under real pressure to sign Rendon to an extension because they can't argue the case on signing players and then pocket the money.
He also said if MASN appeals the case they can't on the procedure just the amount awarded and that would be a quick appeal.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #270: March 20, 2019, 08:25:57 PM »
FWIW, according to this: https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/washington-nationals/payroll/2020/ the Nationals have about $39 million in space for 2020 assuming they want to stay under the CBT.  So figure if Rendon gets $25 million, that leaves $14 million for other FAs, and that's before arbitration.  That number includes $18 million for Zimmerman, but if you assume. he's bought out, that proves another $16 million in space for 2020.

Open slots:  5th starter, 1B, BP
Zim ain't getting $18mm next year.  He might get $1.8mm (+ $2mm, or whatever the buyout price is).  That adds another $14mm in space for 2020.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #271: March 20, 2019, 08:37:32 PM »
He did an entire interview with Grant and Danny where he featured this line of thought. I wasn't sure exactly what it meant except maybe "I don't need all the money in the world" and maybe "I don't want to play forever."
LOL -- no point in trying to understand what Rendon might be insinuating. The fact is that he's just a laid back dude.  I remember in 2015, when things started getting ugly in August, he didn't feel any sense of urgency whatsoever.  The way he figured it, there was plenty of time to make up the deficit in the NL East.  My conclusion is that he's nether good at math nor communication.  He's just a talented baseball player.  And I hope the Lerner's can make this happen soon.     

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #273: March 21, 2019, 06:34:25 PM »

Good question.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #274: March 22, 2019, 10:02:08 AM »
Remember when it was reported he wanted Altuve’s deal? I bet the Nats wish they had given him that. So dumb.