Author Topic: Extend Rendon  (Read 66470 times)

Offline tenken627

Re: Extend Rendon
« Reply #225: March 03, 2019, 06:32:57 PM »
He's just trying to get a rise out of people. Tell by his gotta go, gotta watch Trump make a speech post. Its like ok, thats fine. Why announce it?

Its fine as long as you know what he's about. Making some peculiar claims about baboons though. Maybe hes a baboon so he knows what hes talking about? Baboons are cool

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #226: March 04, 2019, 10:34:00 AM »
If Anthony Rendon cranks out another 6 WAR season, I don't know how he can settle for less than $150+ million.

I'm hoping with Zimmerman almost off the books that they can make a strong play to give Rendon a huge contract.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #227: March 04, 2019, 10:39:10 AM »
If Anthony Rendon cranks out another 6 WAR season, I don't know how he can settle for less than $150+ million.

I'm hoping with Zimmerman almost off the books that they can make a strong play to give Rendon a huge contract.

At some point they are going to want to duck below the threshold just to reset the penalties

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #228: March 04, 2019, 10:43:32 AM »
At some point they are going to want to duck below the threshold just to reset the penalties
I just pointed out in the offseason thread that's why I want them to pass on Kimbrel.

I think Rendon is worth keeping our powder dry this year and getting under the tax. Do what we can with the players in house, stay salary neutral at the deadline, and then make a huge play for Rendon next offseason. We've been more active than most teams this offseason and I don't see what more really is worth adding when you count losing more draft picks and making it harder to sign Rendon long term.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #229: March 07, 2019, 08:45:14 PM »

While Zimmerman's big contract will be off the books soon, you do understand that Zimm will be a Nat for a while longer, right ?

Right ?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #230: March 08, 2019, 05:30:15 AM »
While Zimmerman's big contract will be off the books soon, you do understand that Zimm will be a Nat for a while longer, right ?

Right ?

Yes, I'm aware my favorite National may be around for a while.

His $18 million price tag won't be.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #231: March 10, 2019, 07:11:03 PM »
Yes, I'm aware my favorite National may be around for a while.

His $18 million price tag won't be.

The Face of the Franchise will have no problem with that.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #232: March 11, 2019, 01:13:46 AM »
I just pointed out in the offseason thread that's why I want them to pass on Kimbrel.

I think Rendon is worth keeping our powder dry this year and getting under the tax. Do what we can with the players in house, stay salary neutral at the deadline, and then make a huge play for Rendon next offseason.

Normally I'd say: screw that, win now.  But now that it's becoming more apparent that the team is currently managed by an assclown, waiting out his regime is probably a sound strategy.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #233: March 19, 2019, 10:54:44 AM »
So with Arenado and now Trout extended what about the Nats and Rendon?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #234: March 19, 2019, 11:57:20 AM »
So with Arenado and now Trout extended what about the Nats and Rendon?

I really wonder if the Nationals want to keep Rendon with Kieboom waiting in the wings.  Kieboom could play third, and they could go with another fill-in at 2nd until Garcia is ready in another year or two.  Has anyone looked at whether they can even afford a reasonable extension for Rendon without going back over the luxury tax cap?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #235: March 19, 2019, 12:02:02 PM »
I really wonder if the Nationals want to keep Rendon with Kieboom waiting in the wings.  Kieboom could play third, and they could go with another fill-in at 2nd until Garcia is ready in another year or two.  Has anyone looked at whether they can even afford a reasonable extension for Rendon without going back over the luxury tax cap?

Neither one of then have done crap above Single A.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #236: March 19, 2019, 12:21:49 PM »
Neither one of then have done crap above Single A.

That's an exaggeration, but only a small one.  Kieboom was fine in AA last year.  Not great, but fine.  Fine in AA is very nice for a 20-year-old, but it doesn't scream immediate promotion to the majors.   The additional factor with Garcia is that he's 19 but is very physically advanced for his age.  It's hard to project that type of guy both positionally and whether they top out sooner than expected.   He might do wonderfully.  He might also flop in the higher minors, get fat, or get hurt.

People need to cool it with the thought that bouncing 19 and 20 year olds from the low minors straight to the majors is a viable strategy.  At present, the Nats are lined up to have 3 openings after 2019 - 1B, 2B and 3B.  If they're rather lucky, they'll have one MLB-ready guy to fill one of those positions.   Point being: you try to bring back Rendon whether or not either Kieboom, Garcia, or both does crap above A ball this year.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #237: March 19, 2019, 12:30:09 PM »
The quick emergence of Soto made expectations on these other guys unrealistic.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #238: March 19, 2019, 01:00:47 PM »
The quick emergence of Soto made expectations on these other guys unrealistic.

Do you have any stats to back that up?  :hysterical
I think Robles had very high expectations anyways.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #239: March 19, 2019, 01:51:23 PM »
Do you have any stats to back that up?  :hysterical
I think Robles had very high expectations anyways.

It's not Robles at issue here.  Robles is almost 22 and and aside from the unusual cameos in MLB and last season's injury, has gone lowA/highA, highA/AA, and AAA in successive seasons.   That's for a guy who has been a top-10 overall prospect in all of baseball that entire time.

That's only 1 season faster than a standardized progression.  For Kieboom to follow that progression, he'd go to AAA this season and MLB in '20.  Same progression for Garcia would be splitting this year between Potomac and Hagerstown, then AAA in '20, majors in '21.   Again, it seems people think that's realistic, to follow the progression of a guy who was a top-10 overall prospect and still has not made a meaningful impact at the MLB level.

I hope, hope, hope people understand what a black swan event Soto was.  The last time I can recall a hitter successfully going from A-ball to MLB with basically nothing in between was Albert Pujols.

Online Slateman

« Reply #240: March 19, 2019, 04:03:44 PM »
That's an exaggeration, but only a small one.  Kieboom was fine in AA last year.  Not great, but fine.  Fine in AA is very nice for a 20-year-old, but it doesn't scream immediate promotion to the majors.   The additional factor with Garcia is that he's 19 but is very physically advanced for his age.  It's hard to project that type of guy both positionally and whether they top out sooner than expected.   He might do wonderfully.  He might also flop in the higher minors, get fat, or get hurt.

People need to cool it with the thought that bouncing 19 and 20 year olds from the low minors straight to the majors is a viable strategy.  At present, the Nats are lined up to have 3 openings after 2019 - 1B, 2B and 3B.  If they're rather lucky, they'll have one MLB-ready guy to fill one of those positions.   Point being: you try to bring back Rendon whether or not either Kieboom, Garcia, or both does crap above A ball this year.

It's not. Neither one of them have done anything of note above Single A. It's silly to think that they're going to step in and replace one of the best position players in baseball.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #241: March 19, 2019, 04:19:51 PM »
It's not. Neither one of them have done anything of note above Single A. It's silly to think that they're going to step in and replace one of the best position players in baseball.

OK.  Enjoy your next AA game full of 20-year-olds, then. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #242: March 19, 2019, 04:39:51 PM »
OK.  Enjoy your next AA game full of 20-year-olds, then. 
Pass. His age is irrelavant. It's stupid to believe that hes going to magically replace the guy who is 7th in WAR since becoming a full time player.

Machado was starting at third base for a major league team at 20. And he isnt as good as Rendon

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #243: March 19, 2019, 05:29:06 PM »
I really wonder if the Nationals want to keep Rendon with Kieboom waiting in the wings.  Kieboom could play third, and they could go with another fill-in at 2nd until Garcia is ready in another year or two.

Been saying this to slate for 3 weeks now. Glad you've finally wised up about something. :)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #244: March 19, 2019, 07:47:39 PM »
This entire thread is a perfect illustration of this forum. Think that a guy who had a good spring training and half a good season in AA is a lock to replace the production of one of the best players in baseball.

Online Slateman

« Reply #245: March 19, 2019, 07:54:05 PM »
This entire thread is a perfect illustration of this forum. Think that a guy who had a good spring training and half a good season in AA is a lock to replace the production of one of the best players in baseball.
HE didn't even have a good half season in Double A.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #246: March 19, 2019, 08:45:46 PM »
Pass. His age is irrelavant. It's stupid to believe that hes going to magically replace the guy who is 7th in WAR since becoming a full time player.

Machado was starting at third base for a major league team at 20. And he isnt as good as Rendon

You may notice that I have said on multiple threads that he's not ready.   He's certainly not Machado, and there is probably less than a 20% chance of him ever being Rendon.  People don't seem to realize how good Rendon is, or they don't realize that moving SS prospects to 3B a la Machado (and Bregman) doesn't necessarily create a monster. 

But Kieboom was passable in AA as a 20-year-old, which almost by itself makes him a prospect, and it isn't nothing above A ball.   That was the point.  Like it or not, age is relevant.

Offline Expos

« Reply #247: March 19, 2019, 10:23:36 PM »
Alex Bregman just got a 6 year, 100 million dollar deal. I think this is good news for us to extend Rendon.

Bregman is coming off a career year and is only 24.

16.6m/ year for Bregman. You'd think Rendon would take a 5 year, 90 mil deal.

Online Slateman

« Reply #248: March 19, 2019, 10:25:20 PM »
Alex Bregman just got a 6 year, 100 million dollar deal. I think this is good news for us to extend Rendon.

Lol, no. They just bought out the rest of Bregman's team control and first couple years of free agency.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #249: March 19, 2019, 11:02:26 PM »

Rendon is making $19 million this year. You want him to take a pay cut?