Author Topic: Extend Rendon  (Read 66633 times)

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
Re: Extend Rendon
« Reply #25: September 27, 2018, 05:11:39 PM »
Loved the story in the Post about him today. Didn't realize how productive he's been compared to the rest of MLB.

Gotta keep him around.

Rendon delivers.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #26: September 27, 2018, 05:13:40 PM »
Rendon delivers.
BIL says he smiles too much. And doesn’t have Harpers hair.

« Reply #27: September 27, 2018, 05:22:30 PM »
Absolutely, lock him up.

25/100, .290-.300, 40+ doubles, 100 R, excellent OBP and gold glove caliber defense at 3B every year. As consistent as they come.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #28: September 27, 2018, 10:01:18 PM »
Boras is his agent. He's not signing before hitting free agency unfortunately.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #29: September 27, 2018, 10:02:29 PM »
getting Jedi mind tricked by Boras needs to end

Offline LightningMcQueen

« Reply #30: September 28, 2018, 09:21:52 AM »
Boras is his agent. He's not signing before hitting free agency unfortunately.

I thought it was interesting in the Rendon story in the Post, he touched on this specifically, and said "Boras works for me" referring to Rendon choosing if he wants to resign before he enters Free Agency, etc.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #31: September 28, 2018, 12:13:43 PM »
Strasburg's agent is Boras so I guess it could happen. Let's hope so.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #32: September 28, 2018, 06:26:11 PM »
Unless Rendon is paid exorbitantly elsewhere, him leaving would simply be a sign the Nationals are not an organization serious about winning. He needs to be resigned this year combined with investments in the pitching staff. Our payroll should be securely top third in the majors and we have a lot of room opening this offseason.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #33: September 28, 2018, 08:08:04 PM »
Can Kieboom play 3rd?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #34: September 28, 2018, 08:14:07 PM »
Can Kieboom play 3rd?

Probably. He's got a decent arm at short so I would assume it plays at third.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #35: September 28, 2018, 08:17:33 PM »
Probably. He's got a decent arm at short so I would assume it plays at third.

Robles takes over from Harper.
Kieboom takes over from two bags.

Problem solved.   :mg:

Offline Air Desmond

Anthony Rendon - Pay that man
« Reply #36: September 28, 2018, 11:17:36 PM »
This guy is an elite ballplayer. I don’t need a silly all star game to validate that. The model of consistency.

.311 avg  .913 ops gold glove defense

He’s played his career in the shadows of more hyped players, but it’s time to make him a franchise player. Signing Rendon long term should be the #1 priority this winter.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: Anthony Rendon - Pay that man
« Reply #37: September 28, 2018, 11:18:47 PM »
With all due respect can we put this in the Extend Rendon thread?

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #38: September 29, 2018, 10:45:51 AM »
Didn't someone post a link on that story? I thought JCA did but I can't find it.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #41: September 29, 2018, 02:04:39 PM »

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #42: September 29, 2018, 07:16:20 PM »
an argument for Rendon over Harper:  http://natsgm.com/2018/09/29/nationals-face-franchise-altering-decision-this-winter/
well, there might be a way to swing keeping both.  the budget crunch is in 2020, when Rendon would be a free agent.  You let Michael Taylor walk rather than offer him a 3d year of arbitration.  That would save maybe $4MM (he's $2.5MM for 2018, and will get a raise next year).  RZ is due his buyout of $2MM, saving $16MM from 2019.  Roark is also gone, saving the $8MM or so he'd get next year.  The only expensive arb guy would be Turner in his 2d year of arbitration.  Even if RZ is extended at  some lower amount per year than his option, he probably does not get more than what other non-all star FA 1Bs have been getting. Figure his AAV ends up around $10-12MM.  Add in that Anthony's $18MM in his final arbitration year is baked into 2019, and there's probably  enough savings to cover Turner's arb increase and Rendon's AAV. 

Offline Ray D

« Reply #43: September 30, 2018, 09:57:07 AM »
well, there might be a way to swing keeping both.   
But for what purpose.  I mean if Robles is ready to step in and take over center. If not, perhaps there's an argument to keep Harper.  But if Robles is ready, we're not retaining Soto, Robles, Eaton, and Harper. So if we sign Harper one of the other three is odd mad out, and we're not going to get enough in trade for any of those three to justify the cost of Harper.
And even if Robles is not quite ready at the start of the season, you have to project when he will be.  If it's say, a couple of months, we'd be fine with Taylor in center for that short a period.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #44: September 30, 2018, 12:48:45 PM »
But for what purpose.  I mean if Robles is ready to step in and take over center. If not, perhaps there's an argument to keep Harper.  But if Robles is ready, we're not retaining Soto, Robles, Eaton, and Harper. So if we sign Harper one of the other three is odd mad out, and we're not going to get enough in trade for any of those three to justify the cost of Harper.
And even if Robles is not quite ready at the start of the season, you have to project when he will be.  If it's say, a couple of months, we'd be fine with Taylor in center for that short a period.
well, it is kind of like Mike Morse when they signed Adam Laroche.  If you sign Harper, then Eaton is traded.  as for what you can get, :shrug: .  3 years of cheap team control for a high OBP leadoff type who plays corner outfield.  I don't know what you would get.  HE seemed pretty healthy for the 2d half of the season.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45: October 25, 2018, 06:15:29 PM »
Finalist for a Gold Glove (Arenado, Shaw).

Online imref

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #47: November 08, 2018, 04:17:45 PM »
My only concern with Rendon is health.  He's had trouble staying healthy as a younger player.  How will he age?  I see a ton of parrallels to Zimmerman.  Can Rendon play 3B at an elite level and stay healthy for years and years to come?  If he's going to be often on the DL and eventually need to move off 3B to 1B later in his career, what's his value then? 

I love Tony as a player and want him to stick around, but there are some red flags we've seen before with guys we extended for big money. 

Online imref

« Reply #48: November 08, 2018, 04:21:32 PM »
My only concern with Rendon is health.  He's had trouble staying healthy as a younger player.  How will he age?  I see a ton of parrallels to Zimmerman.  Can Rendon play 3B at an elite level and stay healthy for years and years to come?  If he's going to be often on the DL and eventually need to move off 3B to 1B later in his career, what's his value then? 

I love Tony as a player and want him to stick around, but there are some red flags we've seen before with guys we extended for big money. 

He's averaged around 145 games a year for the last 3 years, and has only once missed signifiant time so I'm not too worried about his health.  How he ages is a fair question, but Zimm fell apart due to shoulder injuries.   We don't have anyone in the system coming along to replace Rendon, so I'd think a 5-6 year deal with a couple of mutual options would make sense if he'd take it.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
Re: Anthony Rendon - Pay that man
« Reply #49: November 08, 2018, 05:12:14 PM »
This guy is an elite ballplayer. I don’t need a silly all star game to validate that. The model of consistency.

.311 avg  .913 ops gold glove defense

He’s played his career in the shadows of more hyped players, but it’s time to make him a franchise player. Signing Rendon long term should be the #1 priority this winter.

100%