Author Topic: Extend Rendon  (Read 65924 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Extend Rendon
« Topic Start: November 14, 2014, 01:25:43 PM »
He's a Boras client, so it probably won't happen, but he's entering his third season. At this point he's proven more than enough, but he's still far enough away from free agency that he might go for the guaranteed pay day. It seems like this would be the offseason to make a push to extend him because the closer he gets to free agency the less the odds. Of course, extending young talent doesn't seem to be this team's usual way of doing things.

Offline Mr Clean

Re: Extend Rendon
« Reply #1: November 14, 2014, 01:51:59 PM »
He's a Boras client, so it probably won't happen, but he's entering his third season. At this point he's proven more than enough, but he's still far enough away from free agency that he might go for the guaranteed pay day. It seems like this would be the offseason to make a push to extend him because the closer he gets to free agency the less the odds. Of course, extending young talent doesn't seem to be this team's usual way of doing things.

Interesting you bring that up

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2014/11/14/scott-boras-on-the-nationals-its-litmus-time/

Offline blue911

« Reply #2: November 14, 2014, 02:01:42 PM »
Boras is the best.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #3: November 14, 2014, 06:01:32 PM »
Boras is the best.

Yeah, because his attempts to leverage the media are so subtle. :roll:

I don't think Rizzo gives a crap.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #4: September 11, 2018, 08:08:53 AM »

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #5: September 11, 2018, 08:47:31 AM »
Basically, give him Werth's money over one fewer year.  do it, Rizzo! If 6/$140MM  gets it done, it is fine  by me.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #6: September 11, 2018, 11:23:19 AM »
anthony rendon is nicklas backstrom

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #7: September 11, 2018, 11:32:13 AM »

Pretty fair analogy...

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #8: September 11, 2018, 12:10:00 PM »

excellent :clap:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #9: September 11, 2018, 12:18:11 PM »
For those of us who aren't in the area and don't follow the Caps, flesh that analogy out for me a bit, if you will.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #10: September 11, 2018, 12:21:54 PM »
For those of us who aren't in the area and don't follow the Caps, flesh that analogy out for me a bit, if you will.

Basically, a great player who is not an "alpha" leader of a team or face of a franchise. Think about all the criticism of Rendon for being so relaxed, smiling too much, not "caring" enough. Backstrom basically had the same criticism, despite being one of the best centers in the game. To me, it's a no-brainer to lock up Rendon. He is not someone who will be the Bryce Harper marketing juggernaut (like Ovechkin, in this analogy), but will produce and earn his paycheck. They fly under the radar nationally despite being really dang good, but don't seek out the spotlight or anything.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #11: September 11, 2018, 12:37:24 PM »
Yep. Backstromnis my favorite Cap. And Rendon my favorite Nat. At least after Murphy left.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #12: September 11, 2018, 12:39:18 PM »
Basically, a great player who is not an "alpha" leader of a team or face of a franchise. Think about all the criticism of Rendon for being so relaxed, smiling too much, not "caring" enough. Backstrom basically had the same criticism, despite being one of the best centers in the game. To me, it's a no-brainer to lock up Rendon. He is not someone who will be the Bryce Harper marketing juggernaut (like Ovechkin, in this analogy), but will produce and earn his paycheck. They fly under the radar nationally despite being really dang good, but don't seek out the spotlight or anything.

Would injury prone fit in?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #13: September 11, 2018, 12:39:33 PM »
Scottie Pippen

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #14: September 11, 2018, 12:40:11 PM »
Got it. I'd be 1000% on board with that.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #15: September 11, 2018, 12:47:47 PM »
Here's why I prefer Harper over Rendon...I just don't see Rendon carrying a team on his back like Harper.

Hopefully we can have both.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #16: September 11, 2018, 12:55:33 PM »
Here's why I prefer Harper over Rendon...I just don't see Rendon carrying a team on his back like Harper.

Hopefully we can have both.
What has Harper carried the team to this Year?  Or even 2015 when he had his best year?  One or even two guys can’t do it in baseball.  Need more depth. Question is can they afford both and still build rest of the team.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #17: September 11, 2018, 01:00:02 PM »
What has Harper carried the team to this Year?  Or even 2015 when he had his best year?  One or even two guys can’t do it in baseball.  Need more depth. Question is can they afford both and still build rest of the team.

...  and how much will the new Zim deal cost?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #18: September 11, 2018, 01:08:32 PM »
...  and how much will the new Zim deal cost?
Ouch. He will just have to be satisfied with his ownership shares.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #19: September 18, 2018, 12:34:07 PM »
bump

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #20: September 18, 2018, 12:42:34 PM »
So he's on a bit of a September roll and FP had an interesting take on it. He said laid back players like Rendon don't let the daily grind get them so they're still mentally fresh late in the season.

I know I kid a lot about his goofy grin on the field but he is a valuable asset. I would love it if the Nats extend him but I think he will go via FA and see what the market will bear.

Offline natswinws

« Reply #21: September 19, 2018, 12:40:10 PM »
It would be great to keep Harper but he can be replaced. Rendon cannot. He plays a great third base and you know what you're going to get with him at the plate. He must be resigned when the time comes.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #22: September 19, 2018, 01:48:15 PM »
Yup.
It would be great to keep Harper but he can be replaced. Rendon cannot. He plays a great third base and you know what you're going to get with him at the plate. He must be resigned when the time comes.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #23: September 25, 2018, 11:55:53 AM »
If Harper leaves - which I am fine with - and the Nats don't immediately move to pay Rendon whatever it takes then I will probably in future will be factoring that into my investment level. I make some games and buy Nats merchandise, but I'll be taking my pennies elsewhere and only watching on TV if they don't move to keep elite on field talent. They won't notice losing my income, but I'll feel better.

Losers.

Offline LightningMcQueen

« Reply #24: September 27, 2018, 04:48:16 PM »
Loved the story in the Post about him today. Didn't realize how productive he's been compared to the rest of MLB.

Gotta keep him around.