Author Topic: Extend Rendon  (Read 66824 times)

Offline whiffnet

Re: Extend Rendon
« Reply #400: April 14, 2019, 12:13:58 PM »
Albies is 22 years old...why in the world would somebody quote how many homers he hit as a teenager in the minors like that's who he is?  He plays a more premium defensive position than Markakis if you're making that comp.  He also can run, something Markakis can't do.

Because it is evidence that he doesn't project for power, I don't care how many he hit in the beginning of last season, he is 5'7 inches, he was NEVER expected to hit for power, it wasn't like they were just waiting for him to get older. Last year was on outlier, evidenced by the fact that he only hit 4 HR in the 2nd half and 1 so far this year despite being off to a hot start.

I wasn't comparing him as a player to Markakis, just his offensive production, which I clearly stated...

People see that HR total last year and they get the wrong impression, he is a ~15 HR per year max hitter. Who SO FAR has only managed .270/.320 in the MLB and if he continued where he left off last year would need to be platooned. No I don't expect EITHER of those things to remain true, but they are why he didn't receive more money, he wanted guaranteed money ASAP, that was his choice, if he wanted more he should have waited to negotiate.