Author Topic: Extend Rendon  (Read 66758 times)

Re: Extend Rendon
« Reply #1100: November 07, 2019, 05:53:35 PM »
Texas rangers will sign him with basically the same amount the Nats offered last September. But with no deferred money  :mg:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1101: November 07, 2019, 05:57:48 PM »
Texas rangers will sign him with basically the same amount the Nats offered last September. But with no deferred money  :mg:
interesting speculation from one of the mlb.com writers that the Rangers might be more interested in Donaldson than Rendon if they are reluctant to go for a commitment to 7 years.

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #1102: November 07, 2019, 08:14:50 PM »
I think as Defending Champs you have to spend market value to bring the band back.  Unless somebody gives Rendon a totally stupid deal, you match or better it.  Keep him here.  Work it out with Stras.  Bring Howie back along with Zim to split 1B.  Let this group defend their title.

That would be ideal. Is Howie under contract?  I know that the Nats declined the option on Zim and Adams. I think they will try and work out a 1-3 year deal for Zimmerman, but I don't have any inside info. We should do everything we can to resign Stras & Rendon. If we lose either of them I hope they go to the AL where we won't have to face them much. I'd like to see Voth get his shot in the big leagues, and maybe Ross too.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #1103: November 07, 2019, 08:25:34 PM »
Howie gonna go be a DH somewhere for 8 mil

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1104: November 08, 2019, 08:20:03 AM »
Howie gonna go be a DH somewhere for 8 mil
Move Betts to 2d, JD to Left, Beni to right, sign howie to DH, and the pitching will still stink.

Online Slateman

« Reply #1105: November 08, 2019, 08:43:53 AM »
Move Betts to 2d, JD to Left, Beni to right, sign howie to DH, and the pitching will still stink.
Been a long time since Betts played second

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #1106: November 08, 2019, 09:46:51 AM »
interesting speculation from one of the mlb.com writers that the Rangers might be more interested in Donaldson than Rendon if they are reluctant to go for a commitment to 7 years.
Is Rendon reluctant to commit for 7 years, though?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #1108: November 09, 2019, 07:25:38 PM »
Phil Woods said today that he was talking to a Rangers executive before the end of the season about their possible interest in Rendon.  The Rangers exec told him that their team was in such urgent need of getting more starting pitching first to be competitive that they were very unlikely to spend big money on Rendon.

Online Slateman

« Reply #1109: November 09, 2019, 08:32:53 PM »

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1110: November 09, 2019, 09:03:48 PM »
People tried to mock me and blue when we said Rendon was a top 10 player in baseball :lol:
who be those people? What form of "enhanced interrogation" can we give them?

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #1111: November 14, 2019, 02:31:27 AM »

No state income tax for the state of Texas could also widen the difference in offers financially if the rangers are making serious offers. I thought I remember the Lerners blaming the MASN deal from making competitive offers. The Lerners can't keep blaming masn after the judge has ruled right?

Online rbw5t

« Reply #1112: November 14, 2019, 12:07:16 PM »
No state income tax for the state of Texas could also widen the difference in offers financially if the rangers are making serious offers. I thought I remember the Lerners blaming the MASN deal from making competitive offers. The Lerners can't keep blaming masn after the judge has ruled right?

I think they can (and will) keep blaming MASN until the money has actually been paid.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1113: November 14, 2019, 07:29:22 PM »

Yep so many good players are angling to play in Miami, Tampa, and Phoenix they're all queued up itching to sign just so they can avoid paying those exhorbitant NYC, Boston, Philly, and Cali taxes.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #1114: November 14, 2019, 10:08:53 PM »
Someone mentioned potential interest from the Dodgers. Howie's rally speech referred to issues with his experience there that he indicated were problematic for him, perhaps Tony picked up on that.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1115: November 14, 2019, 10:09:46 PM »
Are you sure it's taxes and not the large population amounts in those areas ?

Yep so many good players are angling to play in Miami, Tampa, and Phoenix they're all queued up itching to sign just so they can avoid paying those exhorbitant NYC, Boston, Philly, and Cali taxes.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1116: November 15, 2019, 09:17:47 AM »
Your sarcasm detector isn't working, Mathguy.

Are you sure it's taxes and not the large population amounts in those areas ?

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #1117: November 15, 2019, 09:28:45 AM »
You don't choose to play or not to play in a particular city because of the state and local taxes. You (or your agents/managers/accountants) adjust the actual value to you of any contract offer based on factors such as those state and local taxes.

Online Slateman

« Reply #1118: November 15, 2019, 09:44:27 AM »
I'm gonna be honest, I dont think people who make that kind of money are all that concerned with taxes

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #1119: November 15, 2019, 09:50:01 AM »
I'm gonna be honest, I dont think people who make that kind of money are all that concerned with taxes

They are, at least most that I have encountered. A number of Preds players have made comments to me about how great it is living in TN with low taxes and a handful of NYY players have complained to me about all the taxes in NYC. That said, it's not really a deciding factor, just an extra perk a team can offer players when presenting to them. The top-of-the-market type players have agencies and financial advisers who can really do great things to lessen tax burdens and all that, too. Even the league-min guys are making enough to afford to pay a CPA to find ways to lessen the burden (writing off a home gym, charitable donations, etc).

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1120: November 15, 2019, 10:20:15 AM »

Oh yeah they are.  I'd go as far as to say that they are way *more* concerned with taxes. Hence our most recent federal tax changes...

Online Slateman

« Reply #1121: November 15, 2019, 12:08:53 PM »
You guys are confusing people who work to generate wealth with people who make a lot of money. They are vastly different.

If this were the case, no one would be signing in LA or New York.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #1122: November 18, 2019, 12:58:38 AM »
Not that it matters, but I worked at two different places in Florida and paid no state Income tax.

I received an offer In Maryland that was going to pay more than both of those jobs put together. I unassed myself and was up here in 15 days and never once gave a freak about the taxes. My allegiance lies where the money is high.

Online rbw5t

« Reply #1123: November 18, 2019, 01:23:24 PM »
Not that it matters, but I worked at two different places in Florida and paid no state Income tax.

I received an offer In Maryland that was going to pay more than both of those jobs put together. I unassed myself and was up here in 15 days and never once gave a freak about the taxes. My allegiance lies where the money is high.

But you describe an easy case, where the pay is still much higher in MD, even after the tax.  Imagine two jobs are equally desirable, and one pays 5% more, but in a state where tax is 10% (and the other job is in a 0% tax state).  You keep less money despite a higher stated salary.  That's the point people are getting at.  Texas and Florida have an advantage over CA and NY in that respect -- the high tax teams have to offer enough over the no-tax states just to make the offer equal.

Online Slateman

« Reply #1124: December 02, 2019, 09:33:57 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1201676271404478465
Several executives during the GM meetings insisted that the Texas #Rangers are the favorites to land free-agent third baseman Anthony Rendon, and on Sunday, he met for the first time with the Rangers' contingent in his hometown of Houston, per
@Evan_P_Grant