Author Topic: Top Prospects  (Read 1749 times)

seadogsrock6

Top Prospects
« Topic Start: April 13, 2007, 06:53:09 PM »
Hey so I am new here and don't really know the nats farm system too well. So can someone explain where we stand right now, how that latino guy who we signed at age 16 last year, how is he doing? and name some top prospects? thanks.

Offline LetsGoNats

• We're Nat Gonna Take It!
Re: Top Prospects
« Reply #1: April 13, 2007, 07:21:25 PM »
Smiley Gonzalez, the 16 year old you referred to, is slated to make his pro debut this summer in the Gulf Coast League (rookie league). I don't believe it starts until June.

According to Baseball America, here are the Nats top 30 prospects.  Five of the top 30 are with the MLB Nats.   * Indicates that they were acquired by the organization since the start of the 2006 season.  Interesting that 15 of the top 30 (and 12 of the top 15) were acquired since the beginning of last season; an indication that Bowden has done a good job of replenishing the system and/or the cupboard was really bare (probably a combination of both). 

1.  Colin Balester, RHP, Age 20, I believe he's in Harrisburg (AA)
2.  *Chris Marrero, OF, Age 18, Playing for Hagerstown (Low A)
3.  *Colten Williams, RHP, Age 18
4.  Kory Casto, OF, Age 25, Playing for Nats
5.  *Esmailyn (Smiley) Gonzalez, SS, Age 17 (will play for GCL Nationals)
6.  *Zech Zinicola, RHP, Age 22, probable future closer to replace the Chief
7.  *Glenn Gibson, LHP, Age 19
8.  *Matt Chico, LHP, Age 23, playing for Nats
9.  *Stephen King, SS, Age 19, playing for Hagerstown (Low A)
10. Ian Desmond, SS, Age 21, playing for Potomac (High A); saw him play last night- doesn't seem special to me
11. *Jesus Flores, C, Age 22, playing for Nats (rule 5 draftee that has to stay on the big club all year or be offered back to the Mets for $25k)
12.  *Garrett Mock, RHP, Age 24
13. *Emiliano Fruto, RHP, Age 22, playing for Columbus; pitched 6 innings of no-hit ball the other night.
14. *Jhonny Nunez, RHP, Age 21, playing for Hagerstown (Low A)
15. *Shairon Martis, RHP, Age 20, playing for Potomac (High A); I believe he pitched shutout ball the other night
16. Larry Broadway, 1B, Age 26, playing for Columbus (AAA)
17. *Stephen Englund, OF, Age 19
18. Justin Maxwell, OF, Age 23
19. *Adam Carr, RHP, Age 23, playing for Potomac (High A); throws absolute smoke; I saw him last night.  He struggles with control, but he can bring it.  I think he played 1b in college, so he's just learning to pitch.
20. John Lannan, LHP, Age 22
21. Craig Stammen, RHP, Age 23, playing for Potomac (High A); he started last night in the game I went to; the results were good 6+ innings, 1 run allowed, but he was underwhelming with only 1 k.
22. Marco Estrada, RHP, Age 23
23. Brian Peacock, C, Age 22, playing for Potomac (High A); off to a slow start
24. Clint Everts, RHP, Age 22, playing for Potomac (High A); won his first start the other night
25. Shawn Hill, RHP, Age 25, playing for the Nats
26. Devan Ivany, C, Age 26
27. Frank Diaz, OF, Age 23
28. *Cory Van Allen, LHP, Age 22
29. *Levale Speigner, RHP, Age 26, playing for Nats; has to stay with big club all year (rule 5 draftee)
30. Mike Hinckley, LHP, Age 24; not sure where he is at, but he dropped from our #7 prospect last year

You can look up any of these players at the minor league baseball site www.milb.com and enter the players name in the "player search" to see where they are playing and how they are doing.   They have a "player tracker" on that website where you can select players to follow, but I couldn't get it to work right.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #2: April 14, 2007, 12:42:15 AM »
You can also check out the names through The Baseball Cube site (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/)

ncg1983

« Reply #3: April 14, 2007, 03:10:09 PM »
Does anyone know where Willems is this year?  I don't see him on Hagerstown, so I'm assuming he'll play for the GCL Nats again this year?

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #4: April 14, 2007, 04:52:52 PM »
Does anyone know where Willems is this year?  I don't see him on Hagerstown, so I'm assuming he'll play for the GCL Nats again this year?

First-round draft picks usually don't play for the same team two years in a row.  If so, it's a damn shame :?

I really think the Nats should have (and should) draft college talent.  Look at Zimmerman and Cordero.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #5: April 14, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »
I assumed Willems was going to play for the Lake Monsters.

seadogsrock6

« Reply #6: April 14, 2007, 06:09:42 PM »
thanks guys.

Offline LetsGoNats

• We're Nat Gonna Take It!
« Reply #7: April 14, 2007, 10:14:03 PM »
I cam across this website that gives updates on all the Nats farm teams.

http://farmauthority.dcsportsnet.com/?p=979

ncg1983

« Reply #8: April 23, 2007, 12:41:47 PM »
Emiliano Fruto -

How about these numbers.  We got this guy for Vidro correct?  He's only 22 and from his size (6'3 235lb) almost looks like a young Livan.  Maybe we'll see him in September.

Started 3 games for columbus, 16 innings, 5 hits, 11bbs, 14k's and is 1-1 with a 2.25 ERA.