Author Topic: National League Division Series, Game 2  (Read 96718 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: National League Division Series, Game 2
« Reply #2175: October 05, 2014, 12:28:40 PM »
What amuses me is how the media are hailing this long game as a "classic," yet when an NHL playoff game goes to overtime they all squawk about "long games" and talk about whether there should be a different method of breaking a tie so games don't stretch on indefinitiely. Hypocrites.
I've never heard anyone say this. Hockey playoffs and overtime games specifically are routinely hailed as some of the most riveting sequences in all of sports.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #2176: October 05, 2014, 12:29:36 PM »
I've never heard anyone say this. Hockey playoffs and overtime games specifically are routinely hailed as some of the most riveting sequences in all of sports.

This...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #2177: October 05, 2014, 12:32:25 PM »

Exactly.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #2178: October 05, 2014, 12:48:38 PM »
I've still got hope. If we can squeak out a win tomorrow I feel pretty good about our chances in Game 4...

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #2179: October 05, 2014, 12:53:49 PM »
If the bats come alive we can totally run the table.

This team has actually had their backs against the wall several times this season and came through.

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #2180: October 05, 2014, 12:59:24 PM »
I wish the Nats would have played the Pirates so the dual loyalty concept of many on this board would have been tested.

There's no testing needed.  I'm a Pirates fan first and always will be.  I watched games in Forbes Field with my dad many years ago. That's where my love for baseball started and it will always have roots there.  Simple as that.

If you were true to your moniker, you would understand about really enjoying baseball and enjoying watching it wherever you can.  I'd go to Astros games if I lived in Houston and cheer for the home team unless the Bucs were in town. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #2181: October 05, 2014, 01:03:11 PM »
The wild card teams stay hot and have an advantage. Wouldn't mind being a 3 seed.

:lmao:

This almost hurt as much as Game 5 in 2012. And funny how I'm angry at the effing umpires just like I was after that game too.

shocker 

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #2182: October 05, 2014, 01:04:28 PM »
The wild card teams stay hot and have an advantage. Wouldn't mind being a 3 seed.
Or it could just be that SF and KC are two good teams.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #2183: October 05, 2014, 01:24:08 PM »
Or it could just be that SF and KC are two good teams.

Now weak Nats fans have another team to hate to go with the cardinals for daring to beat the Nats in the playoffs, while they feel sorry for Drew Storen.

Offline ZIM4MVP

« Reply #2184: October 05, 2014, 02:08:46 PM »
If the bats come alive we can totally run the table.

This team has actually had their backs against the wall several times this season and came through.

this time we have the wall infront of us and I just don't believe were going through it.  in typical DC fashion, I wouldnt be surprised if we make it to Game 5 to either get blown out or lose in dramatic fashion.  I've never wanted to be more wrong

Offline spidernat

« Reply #2185: October 05, 2014, 02:11:46 PM »
I wouldnt be surprised if we make it to Game 5 to either get blown out or lose in dramatic fashion.  I've never wanted to be more wrong

I hadn't even thought of this possibility but it wouldn't shock me. In the meantime we are being laughed at by orioles fans.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #2186: October 05, 2014, 02:15:59 PM »
I guess it being so many innings I can somewhat understand the length of this GDT but with so many regulars at the game we still had over 2000 posts. And game 1 had over 1600.  :shock:  The bandwagon element must've been strong in these threads.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2187: October 05, 2014, 02:57:04 PM »
To people nagging about off days: this didn't matter to the 2012 Yankees, the 2013 Red Sox, or the 2013 Cardinals.  Funny how it mostly just seems to affect the Nats. :?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2188: October 05, 2014, 03:10:37 PM »
Agree

I've still got hope. If we can squeak out a win tomorrow I feel pretty good about our chances in Game 4...

Offline spidernat

« Reply #2189: October 05, 2014, 03:24:49 PM »
I wish the Nats would have played the Pirates so the dual loyalty concept of many on this board would have been tested.

We don't have many of those. It's the AL east "split loyalty fan" traitorous element that is a scourge on the fanbase.

Offline whytev

« Reply #2190: October 05, 2014, 05:16:51 PM »
What amuses me is how the media are hailing this long game as a "classic," yet when an NHL playoff game goes to overtime they all squawk about "long games" and talk about whether there should be a different method of breaking a tie so games don't stretch on indefinitiely. Hypocrites.

Not saying this to justify anyone leaving early, but I highly suspect many people came unprepared for a colder night. Of course, it's easy enough to do what we did in 2012 when the jackets we wore weren't enough—go drop $40 on a Nats blanket!

In hockey and baseball, these games are the games you never forget. Sometimes I think the people in charge don't even like sports.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #2191: October 05, 2014, 05:20:20 PM »
There's no testing needed.  I'm a Pirates fan first and always will be.  I watched games in Forbes Field with my dad many years ago. That's where my love for baseball started and it will always have roots there.  Simple as that.

If you were true to your moniker, you would understand about really enjoying baseball and enjoying watching it wherever you can.  I'd go to Astros games if I lived in Houston and cheer for the home team unless the Bucs were in town. 

I just don't appreciate others teams fans talking smack about the Nats  fans' loyalty after spending six effin hours in the cold with about 30k fans.

We joke a lot about the Fan Police around here but who are you to judge how fans should behave at the park? If people want to leave early because they have other obligations, so what? It doesn't make you a better fan for staying.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #2192: October 05, 2014, 05:25:22 PM »
We don't have many of those. It's the AL east "split loyalty fan" traitorous element that is a scourge on the fanbase.

The Orioles thing is understood though.

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #2193: October 05, 2014, 05:39:52 PM »
The Orioles thing is understood though.

Understood to be a scourge

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #2194: October 05, 2014, 05:46:49 PM »
I just don't appreciate others teams fans talking smack about the Nats  fans' loyalty after spending six effin hours in the cold with about 30k fans.

We joke a lot about the Fan Police around here but who are you to judge how fans should behave at the park? If people want to leave early because they have other obligations, so what? It doesn't make you a better fan for staying.

There were a TON of empty seats last night late in the game.  I wasn't there but have two eyes that work fine.  I'm not saying those that stayed didn't do a great job supporting the team but a LOT of people left early. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2195: October 05, 2014, 06:08:36 PM »
i had a few friends leave early, most said it was due to the cold.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #2196: October 05, 2014, 06:12:43 PM »
Drat :( ok hopefully me going to the movies has the same effect as me going swimming :lol:

:hysterical:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #2197: October 05, 2014, 06:14:30 PM »
i had a few friends leave early, most said it was due to the cold.

Ex-friends I hope.

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #2198: October 05, 2014, 06:25:55 PM »

Dude, I was there too, and the fans who stayed really supported, but I just don't understand how someone who says they're a fan of this team can leave a close, critical game like that in the 8th, 9th or 10th and a ton did. I'd guess by the end there were maybe 20-25K still there.  It was cold, but it wasn't THAT cold, and that was one of those games 100,000 people would be claiming they stayed if the Nats would have pulled it out.  It's still an event driven fan base.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #2199: October 05, 2014, 06:36:01 PM »
It's still an event driven fan base.

Totally. I would say it's going to take some time but it also takes winning and so far it's not looking good.

Also, it wasn't as cold last night as it was for game 4 of 2012.