Author Topic: National League Division Series, Game 2  (Read 96743 times)

Offline 1995hoo

Re: National League Division Series, Game 2
« Reply #2150: October 05, 2014, 08:52:23 AM »
baseball sucks

What amuses me is how the media are hailing this long game as a "classic," yet when an NHL playoff game goes to overtime they all squawk about "long games" and talk about whether there should be a different method of breaking a tie so games don't stretch on indefinitiely. Hypocrites.

Oh, by the way, this fan base sucks.  More than half empty stadium at the end of the game in a must win, extra inning, suspense filled postseason ballgame.  Really?

Not saying this to justify anyone leaving early, but I highly suspect many people came unprepared for a colder night. Of course, it's easy enough to do what we did in 2012 when the jackets we wore weren't enough—go drop $40 on a Nats blanket!

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #2151: October 05, 2014, 09:05:43 AM »
If this team ever makes the playoffs again, please go in as a number 3 seed.  These guys can't handle the hype that's been whipped up around them the past 3 seasons.

The wild card teams stay hot and have an advantage. Wouldn't mind being a 3 seed.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #2152: October 05, 2014, 09:07:11 AM »
This game and this series should be an indicator to MLB.  You cannot, CANNOT, CANNOT give teams four off days prior to starting a series.  It's not like we coasted into this spot, we kept playing hard despite our sizable lead (and pushed for the #1 seed as a team should) only to get burned by a team that had to keep playing because they lost their division.

Every team should get an off-day the day after the regular season is over (in case there's a need for 163) then the wildcards should play on that Tuesday and all series should start on Wednesdays.  It's ridiculous to ask any team to shut it down for four days while they wait around for two inferior teams to work out their mess.  These players get 18 days off (not including the ASB) during a six-month period for the regular season.  freak travel - there are airplanes for that crap.  You don't want to have to travel and play the next day, WIN YOUR freakING DIVISION.  And by the way, it happens all the freaking time during the regular season anyway.

MLB post-season scheduling is completely antithetical to the way the game is played for six straight months - and on top of it, it coddles the wildcard winners every year.  If we're going to win a playoff series, we're better off letting the Barves win the division and we can play the wildcard game.

This 100%.

Wild Card teams are at an advantage.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #2153: October 05, 2014, 09:09:32 AM »
The crowd was fine.

Much better last night than Game 1. I was at Game 1 and it was sad.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2154: October 05, 2014, 09:12:08 AM »
They leave days for tiebreakers
This game and this series should be an indicator to MLB.  You cannot, CANNOT, CANNOT give teams four off days prior to starting a series.  It's not like we coasted into this spot, we kept playing hard despite our sizable lead (and pushed for the #1 seed as a team should) only to get burned by a team that had to keep playing because they lost their division.

Every team should get an off-day the day after the regular season is over (in case there's a need for 163) then the wildcards should play on that Tuesday and all series should start on Wednesdays.  It's ridiculous to ask any team to shut it down for four days while they wait around for two inferior teams to work out their mess.  These players get 18 days off (not including the ASB) during a six-month period for the regular season.  freak travel - there are airplanes for that crap.  You don't want to have to travel and play the next day, WIN YOUR freakING DIVISION.  And by the way, it happens all the freaking time during the regular season anyway.

MLB post-season scheduling is completely antithetical to the way the game is played for six straight months - and on top of it, it coddles the wildcard winners every year.  If we're going to win a playoff series, we're better off letting the Barves win the division and we can play the wildcard game.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2155: October 05, 2014, 09:12:37 AM »
Guess I dont get to use my game 5 tickets

Offline Manly

• UK, ok!
    • UKMLB
« Reply #2156: October 05, 2014, 09:14:04 AM »
I am still so wound up. I don't even want to think about baseball right now. And I have woken up with a cricked neck to compound things.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2157: October 05, 2014, 09:14:48 AM »

It wasn't a problem for the Red Sox or Cardinals last season

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2158: October 05, 2014, 09:33:45 AM »
This 100%.

Wild Card teams are at an advantage.
The Orioles don't give a crap. Didn't phase them.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #2159: October 05, 2014, 09:36:48 AM »
The Orioles don't give a crap. Didn't phase them.

Wrongfan so hilariously WRONG

The Os arent playing a Wild Card team and started a day earlier.

Offline Clever

« Reply #2160: October 05, 2014, 09:38:20 AM »
Wrongfan so hilariously WRONG

The Os arent playing a Wild Card team and started a day earlier.

Not to mention the fact that they have tremendously benefited from the Tigers bullpen sucking balls.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2161: October 05, 2014, 09:38:23 AM »
Ain't working real well for the Angels either.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #2162: October 05, 2014, 09:39:09 AM »
I'm not saying the Nats shouldn't be able to overcome this BTW, but the team that comes out of the single game is at an advantage. I'll take the burning of one pitcher over cold bats Abby year

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #2163: October 05, 2014, 09:48:38 AM »
Agree with Kev on this one.  I was actually hoping we WOULDN'T be top seed.

The idea of the higher seeded team sitting around too long and being taken out by a hot wildcard is commonplace, and not just in baseball.  Just another reason I think the DS should be 7 games (or fix the sitting around problem as Kev suggested)

Offline santanaf

« Reply #2164: October 05, 2014, 10:00:17 AM »
Should MLB allow top seeded team to choose who they play out of available opponents? Seems like that might allow the #1 seed to choose the team they feel best suited against, like a coin toss chooses to play offense or defense.

The reason this situation really pisses me off is that the Nats would have won the pennant and been in the World Series in both 2012 and 2014 prior to postseason becoming this monstrosity of off days and four rounds that it is.

Offline stealyerbase

• YUMMY! Good for you too!
« Reply #2165: October 05, 2014, 10:08:46 AM »
Sorry I missed you all during an epic GDT. I actually had a gig last night. Before you get all NANF on me....we brought a lap top and streamed the game in the club which had no TV's but thankfully had WiFi. There was a crowd around that computer of about fifteen! I'm onstage singing and getting constant sign language updates from my wife. I must say, we were all surprised when the show ended before the baseball game. Sigh. Get 'em Monday boys.  :pray:

Offline ZIM4MVP

« Reply #2166: October 05, 2014, 10:12:08 AM »
Just woke up.  Still hurts

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #2167: October 05, 2014, 10:33:45 AM »
Oh, by the way, this fan base sucks.  More than half empty stadium at the end of the game in a must win, extra inning, suspense filled postseason ballgame.  Really?

I'm still depressed this morning and I'd rather not talk about the game at all, but I want to say one thing in response to this post: freak YOU. First of all, I would say more than 80% stayed for most of the game. Second, unless you you were there and stayed the entire game (which we did) you have no idea how unprepared for the cold, tired, and hungry people were. And people have kids, babysitters, pets, etc., to take care, so please spare us the macho posturing as you sat there on your couch nodding off.

The people that were there were cheering their lungs out until the very last out. I don't know if you could pick that up from your living room. I've never been more proud of the Nats fan base last night. I'm just sorry they weren't rewarded.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2168: October 05, 2014, 10:36:07 AM »
I'm still depressed this morning and I'd rather not talk about the game at all, but I want to say one thing in response to this post: freak YOU. First of all, I would say more than 80% stayed for most of the game. Second, unless you you were there and stayed the entire game (which we did) you have no idea how unprepared for the cold, tired, and hungry people were. And people have kids, babysitters, pets, etc., to take care, so please spare us the macho posturing as you sat there on your couch nodding off.

The people that were there were cheering their lungs out until the very last out. I don't know if you could pick that pick from your living room. I've never been more proud of the Nats fan base last night. I'm just sorry they weren't rewarded.

QFT. I disagree with you on most things but this post is 100% fact.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2169: October 05, 2014, 10:36:47 AM »

The people that were there were cheering their lungs out until the very last out. I don't know if you could pick that pick from your living room. I've never been more proud of the Nats fan base last night. I'm just sorry they weren't rewarded.

He was at the game.

« Reply #2124: Today at 12:54:48 AM »
Just got home.  Really depressing show on offense...everyone trying to hit home runs in cold weather.  Just stupid.  This team needs a couple of more real veterans to grind out a bats.  And a real closer.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #2170: October 05, 2014, 10:42:07 AM »
Just woke up.  Still hurts

This almost hurt as much as Game 5 in 2012. And funny how I'm angry at the effing umpires just like I was after that game too.

It's really hard to love this sport when the officiating is as incompetent as it. It's just a matter of time before incompetent umpiring leads to having their authority completely taken away from them. Instant replay already has taken away some of their ability to freak up a game and has shown just how truly incompetent they are. (Frankly, I believed instant replay would show how good they were. What a joke. It just shows how many calls they routinely blow.)

Now we need electronic balls and strikes to totally take away the umpires' ability to ruin baseball. Last night's plate umpiring was an effing joke and even the commentators on the MLBN were kind of ridiculing strike calls in the post game highlights shows. That's just not good for the game. It will drive fans away from the game out of frustration.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #2171: October 05, 2014, 10:43:35 AM »
He was at the game.

Then he should freaking know better. Talk about the goddamn fan police.

I'm sure Pirates fans would have hung in there better. I doubt a single person the other day left when the Bucs were getting that 8-0 shellacking by the Giants. :shock:

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #2172: October 05, 2014, 10:52:40 AM »
I agree SF, the folks who were there were into it, just unreal to me how many people left.  Of course, there were people leaving before the end of Zimmerman's no hitter too

Dude, what are you talking about. I was there for the no-hitter. Maybe a couple of people here and there left (some people have lives and obligations to meet, you know) but who the hell left you in charge of the Fan Police this morning.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2173: October 05, 2014, 12:16:06 PM »
The last time I woke up feeling this out of sorts I was in a bathtub full of ice with stitches on my abdomen. 

Oof.

The Metro was packed and dead silent after the game (my car at least) - a first for a Saturday night. 

Offline More of #34

« Reply #2174: October 05, 2014, 12:24:39 PM »
I feel so dejected.  I watched every single game this year.  I thought for sure we had it (the ability to win the World Series.) I never gave a thought to losing the first series not with home field advantage and the magical ride we were on.  Alas.....the magic has all but disappeared.