Author Topic: Nationals vs Mets, Game 1  (Read 30082 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Mets @ Nationals Game 1
« Reply #325: September 23, 2014, 10:21:06 PM »

I'm still nervous about the Cardinals. As far as I'm concerned, they're the raison d'être to fight for home field advantage.

Nats had homefield the last time they played them and then Drew Storen.

Offline natsarl

« Reply #326: September 23, 2014, 10:21:46 PM »
Span just scraped his knee. Not serious and could've stayed in game.  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #327: September 23, 2014, 10:23:57 PM »

I'm still nervous about the Cardinals. As far as I'm concerned, they're the raison d'être to fight for home field advantage.

I'm scared of the Giants.  Morse is a beast!

Offline whytev

« Reply #328: September 23, 2014, 10:24:49 PM »
There is a high school named for Walter Johnson in Montgomery County. Only connection to Minnesota is that some people nicknamed him "The Big Swede". When someone (Shirley Povich of the Washington -- not Minneapolis -- Post?) asked Johnson why he never corrected the mistaken nickname, Johnson answered "A lot of nice people are Swedish. I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings".

You can go down the roster of the 1924, 1925 (all-time best Washington team, I think) and 1933 teams without finding anyone who played major league ball in Minnesota. 

Clark Griffith himself is buried in Ft Lincoln Cemetery.

True, but it was a long time between those teams and the move.

Only one 1994 Expo played in Washingon, but more than 20 2004 Expos did.

Offline whytev

« Reply #329: September 23, 2014, 10:25:14 PM »
Span just scraped his knee. Not serious and could've stayed in game.  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Yay!

He deserves a rest anyhow.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #330: September 23, 2014, 10:26:48 PM »
Isn't Washington in the North?

I believe in continuity of the franchise.

I also hate it when they give a city a team that had one before and they recycle the name (like the Brewers, the Senators, and numerous hockey teams).

I'm cool with teams moving...but the team moved.  That's the team.

I'd love to visit.  I really wood.  The guys aren't hitting Seattle this year, so unless I want to go to San Francisco, I might as well catch a homer.

Nope. Washington was always a southern city, for better or worse. The Mason-Dixon Line separates Maryland and Pennsylvania. The District was carved out of chunk of Maryland, swamp land a few miles up the Potomac from the home of George Washington.

Offline stealyerbase

• YUMMY! Good for you too!
« Reply #331: September 23, 2014, 10:28:26 PM »
Isn't Washington in the North?

I believe in continuity of the franchise.

I also hate it when they give a city a team that had one before and they recycle the name (like the Brewers, the Senators, and numerous hockey teams).

I'm cool with teams moving...but the team moved.  That's the team.

I'd love to visit.  I really wood.  The guys aren't hitting Seattle this year, so unless I want to go to San Francisco, I might as well catch a homer.
Washington is below the Mason-Dixon line, the traditional historical survey line of the border between Maryland and Pennsylvania. Maryland is considered the south by northerners, and the north by southerners. The state was, unfortunately, a slave holding state up to and during the civil war. While sort of smack in the middle, the city I grew up in was definitely more southern. "A sleepy southern town."

Offline eddiejc1

• http://www.femfour.com
« Reply #332: September 23, 2014, 10:29:31 PM »
Yep, and it's irrelevant to this franchise.

Might be irrelevant to you. It sure as is relevant to us. As far as Twins fans go, their first pennant was in 1965 and their first world championship was in 1987.

That franchise doesn't fly a flag celebrating the championship the actually won in 1924. We do over the right field scoreboard, along with the pennant winning years of 1925 and 1933 when we lost the World Series.

I have no problem with Expos fans discussing the history of their franchise here. I do have a problem with them--or anybody else--saying that the baseball history that took here doesn't count. This isn't going to happen, but if the Canadiens were ever to uproot and go to another city, and then get replaced by a new franchise, I think most Habs would consider the new team a continuation of the old one, regardless of whether it bore the old name or logo.

This is where I and many Washington baseball fans stand. We don't have to agree, but if you are going to complain every time somebody invokes the old Senators---particularly the 1924 Nats---we aren't going to get along very well.

Offline eddiejc1

• http://www.femfour.com
« Reply #333: September 23, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
Nope. Washington was always a southern city, for better or worse. The Mason-Dixon Line separates Maryland and Pennsylvania. The District was carved out of chunk of Maryland, swamp land a few miles up the Potomac from the home of George Washington.

As a lifelong Marylander, I don't think my state is a southern state NOW. That doesn't mean I'm blind to what this state has been.

Offline stealyerbase

« Reply #334: September 23, 2014, 10:32:05 PM »
Span, what a gamer! Doesn't even mention the gout!

Offline stealyerbase

« Reply #335: September 23, 2014, 10:34:28 PM »
As a lifelong Marylander, I don't think my state is a southern state NOW. That doesn't mean I'm blind to what this state has been.
It also depends where in Maryland you live. I went to school in St. Marys County and those southern Marylanders and eastern shore folks identify with the south. Central and western Marylanders are Yankees all the way.

Offline whytev

« Reply #336: September 23, 2014, 10:34:42 PM »
Washington is below the Mason-Dixon line, the traditional historical survey line of the border between Maryland and Pennsylvania. Maryland is considered the south by northerners, and the north by southerners. The state was, unfortunately, a slave holding state up to and during the civil war. While sort of smack in the middle, the city I grew up in was definitely more southern. "A sleepy southern town."

Right, but wasn't the capital during the War Between the States in Washington?

I know it was in Philadelphia before but the Canadians burned it down...sorry about that.

Offline whytev

« Reply #337: September 23, 2014, 10:36:44 PM »
Might be irrelevant to you. It sure as is relevant to us. As far as Twins fans go, their first pennant was in 1965 and their first world championship was in 1987.

That franchise doesn't fly a flag celebrating the championship the actually won in 1924. We do over the right field scoreboard, along with the pennant winning years of 1925 and 1933 when we lost the World Series.

I have no problem with Expos fans discussing the history of their franchise here. I do have a problem with them--or anybody else--saying that the baseball history that took here doesn't count. This isn't going to happen, but if the Canadiens were ever to uproot and go to another city, and then get replaced by a new franchise, I think most Habs would consider the new team a continuation of the old one, regardless of whether it bore the old name or logo.

This is where I and many Washington baseball fans stand. We don't have to agree, but if you are going to complain every time somebody invokes the old Senators---particularly the 1924 Nats---we aren't going to get along very well.

I'm not complaining.

It annoys me when F.P. says something hasn't happened in D.C. baseball since such and such a year.  That seems unfair given the decades of NOT HAVING A TEAM.

I think that's the main thing that annoys me.  That and recycling names.  I hate that so much.

I'm really glad they didn't trot out the Senators name a third time.  I guess they gave up on it.

Offline whytev

« Reply #338: September 23, 2014, 10:38:39 PM »
I'm not complaining.

It annoys me when F.P. says something hasn't happened in D.C. baseball since such and such a year.  That seems unfair given the decades of NOT HAVING A TEAM.

I think that's the main thing that annoys me.  That and recycling names.  I hate that so much.

I'm really glad they didn't trot out the Senators name a third time.  I guess they gave up on it.

Also I live in Vancouver, where Canuckleheads are constantly trying to convince everyone that Vancouver won the Stanley Cup...which they did.  Back when hockey teams looked like this:

God, I hate Canucks fans.

Offline stealyerbase

« Reply #339: September 23, 2014, 10:38:40 PM »
Right, but wasn't the capital during the War Between the States in Washington?

I know it was in Philadelphia before but the Canadians burned it down...sorry about that.
While the capital was indeed in Washington during the civil war there was serious concern since it was so difficult to get troops through rebellious Baltimore to DC. Maryland was ruled with an iron fist by the federal government during the war, especially eastern and southern Maryland.
  Troops were raised for both sides in the war from Maryland and in several battles, Maryland went toe to toe against Maryland, in some cases brother against brother.

Offline stealyerbase

« Reply #340: September 23, 2014, 10:39:47 PM »
Also I live in Vancouver, where Canuckleheads are constantly trying to convince everyone that Vancouver won the Stanley Cup...which they did.  Back when hockey teams looked like this:

(Image removed from quote.)

God, I hate Canucks fans.
Those guys look like a million bucks!

Offline whytev

« Reply #341: September 23, 2014, 10:41:33 PM »
Those guys look like a million bucks!

It's funny that The Millionaires was a cute name back then.

Now it's literally true!

Offline whytev

« Reply #342: September 23, 2014, 10:42:12 PM »
It's funny that The Millionaires was a cute name back then.

Now it's literally true!

Also the Canucks honoured the Millionaires by bringing out those jerseys for a game and they got absolutely curb-stomped.  And I laughed, and laughed.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #343: September 23, 2014, 10:42:52 PM »
It beats your hockey team looking like this:

Offline whytev

« Reply #344: September 23, 2014, 10:43:51 PM »
It beats your hockey team looking like this:

(Image removed from quote.)

I did NOT SEE that coming.  Wow.

Offline stealyerbase

« Reply #345: September 23, 2014, 10:44:18 PM »
Also the Canucks honoured the Millionaires by bringing out those jerseys for a game and they got absolutely curb-stomped.  And I laughed, and laughed.
Catching a Habs game is on my bucket list.
Seriously, come for a visit, you'll be taken care of for sure.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #347: September 23, 2014, 10:46:45 PM »
ATTENDANCE at this match: 30,714 (74% full)   

:uk:

This game is being repeated on MASN at 11:30 pm tonight only

Offline whytev

« Reply #348: September 23, 2014, 10:46:51 PM »
Catching a Habs game is on my bucket list.
Seriously, come for a visit, you'll be taken care of for sure.

I didn't catch a Habs game, but I did chew tobacco and smoke drugs with 4 of them one time.

Definitely my favourite NHL team.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #349: September 23, 2014, 10:49:05 PM »
OK, I'll bite...Whytev, what's with the Canucks hate?