Author Topic: Nationals @ Phillies, Game 3  (Read 14980 times)

Offline whytev

Re: Nationals @ Phillies, Game 3
« Reply #375: August 27, 2014, 11:08:56 PM »
You can bring up Treinan for a spot start or bullpen by committee thing or use the off days to spread everyone out to give skip a Fister start ... I don't want to skip Stras or Gio - both need to pitch on their regular rest/routine

I just pulled up the schedule.

Day off tomorrow, Fister just threw.

Next six days:

Zimm
Stras
Roark
Gio
Fister
Zimm

Then a day off...realistic to rest Stras if that is what you are going for, but, not Fister.

Then 17 in a row put the day off on Gio's day.  Potentially you could push Gio back a day and rest Fister.  But I don't see any reason to do anything like that except to reset your postseason rotation.

F.P. is right about Felix.  Seattle bumped him to make him the guy for a 1 game playoff.  They are fighting for nothing more than the W.C. because they are third in the best division in baseball.  That one game is everything.

Offline whytev

« Reply #376: August 27, 2014, 11:09:19 PM »
Ray is unloading on Matt Williams for not going to Thornton for Sizemore and FP for being afraid to agree with him.

What are you watching?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #377: August 27, 2014, 11:09:36 PM »
3 days ago you would have said the natsneed to got 16-18

Well sure - 10 days ago it was something different

3 days from now it will be something different again

Not sure what your point is

I just want to keep a running tally somewhere  :shrug:

Offline tomwvr

« Reply #378: August 27, 2014, 11:11:55 PM »
we are now 500 away from home - if this team had not have had that 9-1 home stand we would be in a very bad place right now - but people are thinking that was the Nats when I think the team is more like what we just saw these last three games - lost with a manager who doesn't know what to do with this team. They win despite what he does.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #379: August 27, 2014, 11:11:59 PM »
I just pulled up the schedule.

Day off tomorrow, Fister just threw.

Next six days:

Zimm
Stras
Roark
Gio
Fister
Zimm

Then a day off...realistic to rest Stras if that is what you are going for, but, not Fister.

Then 17 in a row put the day off on Gio's day.  Potentially you could push Gio back a day and rest Fister.  But I don't see any reason to do anything like that except to reset your postseason rotation.

F.P. is right about Felix.  Seattle bumped him to make him the guy for a 1 game playoff.  They are fighting for nothing more than the W.C. because they are third in the best division in baseball.  That one game is everything.

Yeah might be hard - maybe just the west coast cooler temperatures will help Fister :shrug:

Offline whytev

« Reply #380: August 27, 2014, 11:12:44 PM »
Well sure - 10 days ago it was something different

3 days from now it will be something different again

Not sure what your point is

I just want to keep a running tally somewhere  :shrug:

Another way to look at is is if the Braves sweep us, they only need to beat us by another half a game to tie, and an entire game to win.  A 6.5 game buffer with 6 remaining is not enough.

How they take on the Braves is the real indication of how they will do in the post-season.  It's must win ball.  Put up or shut up.

I think they will win the division, but I share some of the concerns about if they have what it takes to win in the post season.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #381: August 27, 2014, 11:13:15 PM »
we are now 500 away from home - if this team had not have had that 9-1 home stand we would be in a very bad place right now - but people are thinking that was the Nats when I think the team is more like what we just saw these last three games - lost with a manager who doesn't know what to do with this team. They win despite what he does.

Nats have the best record in the league - only 3 games behind the best record in baseball -  that's an awful lot of winning just to spite someone

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #382: August 27, 2014, 11:15:38 PM »
Another way to look at is is if the Braves sweep us, they only need to beat us by another half a game to tie, and an entire game to win.  A 6.5 game buffer with 6 remaining is not enough.

How they take on the Braves is the real indication of how they will do in the post-season.  It's must win ball.  Put up or shut up.

I think they will win the division, but I share some of the concerns about if they have what it takes to win in the post season.

Seriously the braves are a crap baseball team. Nats are MUCH better than they are. Even if we lose those games to them it won't matter because the braves are not good enough to consistently beat anyone else.

Braves are 5 games over 500

Nats are EIGHTEEN games over 500

the odds of them catching and passing the Nats are really very remote

Nats need to just worry about themselves and let the braves do what they do which is play sub 500 baseball for the rest of the season

Offline whytev

« Reply #383: August 27, 2014, 11:16:12 PM »

Walking off that many times is dumb luck.  9-1 was lucky, but they deserved it because they lost a lot of tight, extra inning games early on.  It's clutch and great to be able to make a good walkoff hit (the last one doesn't count), but they definitely were lucky to have those close games go their way.  It is somewhere in the middle.  The last two games (not this one) were close and had some weird calls/close calls/bad luck.  We didn't deserve to lose both of them, but we also didn't deserve to win 9 straight.  Things even out.

Offline PC

« Reply #384: August 27, 2014, 11:17:04 PM »
What are you watching?

postgame show

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #385: August 27, 2014, 11:17:14 PM »
Walking off that many times is dumb luck.  9-1 was lucky, but they deserved it because they lost a lot of tight, extra inning games early on.  It's clutch and great to be able to make a good walkoff hit (the last one doesn't count), but they definitely were lucky to have those close games go their way.  It is somewhere in the middle.  The last two games (not this one) were close and had some weird calls/close calls/bad luck.  We didn't deserve to lose both of them, but we also didn't deserve to win 9 straight.  Things even out.

1 run games almost always even out after an entire season

Offline whytev

« Reply #386: August 27, 2014, 11:20:13 PM »

Seriously the braves are a crap baseball team. Nats are MUCH better than they are. Even if we lose those games to them it won't matter because the braves are not good enough to consistently beat anyone else.

Braves are 5 games over 500

Nats are EIGHTEEN games over 500

the odds of them catching and passing the Nats are really very remote

Nats need to just worry about themselves and let the braves do what they do which is play sub 500 baseball for the rest of the season

That is how you get into the post season.  Choke a lot in the worst division, and still prevail.

Kicking the crap out of them is how you get in the post season and prove you're ready to compete and you're not afraid of any opponent.

Offline whytev

« Reply #387: August 27, 2014, 11:21:44 PM »
1 run games almost always even out after an entire season

A 1 run game and a walkoff are two different things.

A walkoff is like OT in hockey.  You can walkoff 4-0, but it's still a walkoff.

Those probably even out too, but you get my point.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #388: August 27, 2014, 11:25:25 PM »
That is how you get into the post season.  Choke a lot in the worst division, and still prevail.

Kicking the crap out of them is how you get in the post season and prove you're ready to compete and you're not afraid of any opponent.

Meh

Nats had the best record in baseball and kicked the ever living crap out of the Cardinals in the regular season in 2012 and look how that turned out.

Conversely, Cardinals won a world series after playing like ASS in a crappy division winning only 83 regular season games.

What you do in the regular season has NO bearing on the post season whatsoever. The only place the regular season plays a part is setting your rotation for the post season. Records pretty much mean nothing.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #389: August 27, 2014, 11:27:16 PM »
A 1 run game and a walkoff are two different things.

A walkoff is like OT in hockey.  You can walkoff 4-0, but it's still a walkoff.

Those probably even out too, but you get my point.

Indeed I do

Offline whytev

« Reply #390: August 27, 2014, 11:33:09 PM »
Meh

Nats had the best record in baseball and kicked the ever living crap out of the Cardinals in the regular season in 2012 and look how that turned out.

Conversely, Cardinals won a world series after playing like ASS in a crappy division winning only 83 regular season games.

What you do in the regular season has NO bearing on the post season whatsoever. The only place the regular season plays a part is setting your rotation for the post season. Records pretty much mean nothing.

They went cold in September and nobody cared because they had such a big lead.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #391: August 27, 2014, 11:38:09 PM »

So blowing an 8 game lead would be good?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #392: August 27, 2014, 11:38:16 PM »

Didn't change the fact that the Nats had crushed their post season opponent in the regular season and still lost to them in the playoffs.

Regular season really doesn't matter. For every example of a team winning because they got "hot at the right time"  there are an equal amount of teams that backed into the post-season and won the whole enchilada.

Just win the division - (really, nobody gives a crap how)
Get to the post season as healthy and rested as you can
Set your rotation how you want it

The rest is up to the Baseball Gawds - Let the chips fall where they may ...

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #393: August 28, 2014, 12:11:26 AM »
PC I do think you had a bit of a point in one of your earlier comments.  :lol:

Offline PC

« Reply #394: August 28, 2014, 12:12:55 AM »

;)

Offline whytev

« Reply #395: August 28, 2014, 12:18:28 AM »
So blowing an 8 game lead would be good?

How was that what you took away?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #396: August 28, 2014, 08:16:51 AM »
spidernat:

This is the single most predictable post in the history of message boards - smh

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #397: August 28, 2014, 08:23:43 AM »
Mariners lost to the Rangers last night 12-4. That was the game that Felix was supposed to start.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #398: August 28, 2014, 08:39:53 AM »
Mariners lost to the Rangers last night 12-4. That was the game that Felix was supposed to start.

Saw that - that was ugly

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #399: August 28, 2014, 10:10:37 AM »
After the game, FP and Ray sounded like they had been in this GDT.