Author Topic: Rolling Thunder  (Read 42772 times)

Online Natsinpwc

Re: Rolling Thunder
« Reply #650: June 08, 2019, 11:32:11 AM »
the ones he didn't starve or kill.
Those still loved him. In any event didn’t he kill and torture mostly the educated class?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #651: June 08, 2019, 12:03:21 PM »
Those still loved him. In any event didn’t he kill and torture mostly the educated class?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #652: June 14, 2019, 04:25:51 PM »
Saw a couple of Ospreys over E. Loudoun today (a little east of Dulles).     I've been out here a long time and don't recall ever seein' that craft out here in that pattern.

EDIT:    Upon further review, I wonder if it was some type of flyover of Trump's golf course along the Potomac.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #653: June 14, 2019, 04:43:06 PM »
Saw a couple of Ospreys over E. Loudoun today (a little east of Dulles).     I've been out here a long time and don't recall ever seein' that craft out here in that pattern.

EDIT:    Upon further review, I wonder if it was some type of flyover of Trump's golf course along the Potomac.

They’ve flown over w.pwc a few times.

Offline wj73

« Reply #654: June 14, 2019, 08:21:18 PM »
They come up to Camp David on occasion (we live 3 miles from there), especially when Cabinet members are up there. Never saw them before this POTUS - previous ones used helicopters. The Ospreys seem MUCH louder than helicopters.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #655: June 14, 2019, 08:27:24 PM »
They come up to Camp David on occasion (we live 3 miles from there), especially when Cabinet members are up there. Never saw them before this POTUS - previous ones used helicopters. The Ospreys seem MUCH louder than helicopters.

The "noise" is what got my attention.    They have a louder and deeper sound than a standard rotor aircraft.    Living near an airport, you get used to the usual suspects (helicopters, big jets, private planes, etc.).    Generally along the river (Potomac), the variation of aircraft increases but the V-22 is a stranger in this part of the county/river.

I google mapped it and the Ospreys could have been goin' from the Camp David area to Quantico.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #656: June 14, 2019, 08:39:27 PM »
I’ve seen them twice here (Alexandria section of fairfax), both times flying low and loud as hell, cool sight though

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #657: June 14, 2019, 08:43:25 PM »
Did anyone see (or hear) the F-35 that basically flew up 14th St?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #658: June 14, 2019, 09:14:42 PM »
Much, much heavier lift.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #659: June 14, 2019, 09:15:40 PM »

Offline mitlen

« Reply #660: June 23, 2019, 10:02:01 AM »
Several of those killed were members of the Jarhead Motorcycle Club and were on their way to an event at the American Legion, according to the station. The club's members include active and veteran Marines.  ....

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/23/us/motorcycle-collision-new-hampshire-veterans/index.html

Be careful out there.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #661: June 23, 2019, 10:50:17 AM »
Several of those killed were members of the Jarhead Motorcycle Club and were on their way to an event at the American Legion, according to the station. The club's members include active and veteran Marines.  ....

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/23/us/motorcycle-collision-new-hampshire-veterans/index.html

Be careful out there.

Just awful...

Online dracnal

« Reply #662: June 23, 2019, 01:08:37 PM »
My 18 year old daughter has her heart set on buying a motorcycle and making that her day to day transport. I'll admit that I'm really hoping she'll get distracted and focus on a new goal.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #663: June 23, 2019, 01:26:09 PM »
I have my kids calling them donor cycles- hopefully that sinks in by the time they’re old enough to ride

Offline mitlen

« Reply #664: June 23, 2019, 01:46:39 PM »
My 18 year old daughter has her heart set on buying a motorcycle and making that her day to day transport. I'll admit that I'm really hoping she'll get distracted and focus on a new goal.

Distracted driving is a real problem for motorcyclists.     I've had cars turn in front of me several times  ...  drivers on a cell (maybe looking on a map app).     Sometime they're simply lookin' down range at the other 4 wheeled vehicles behind me.    Of course, that's better than following a lady who was "drifting" in her lane.     Plan of action was to pass and get away.     As I went by (on 7 at speed), I noticed she was reading a book to her children   ....   who were in the back seat.

Online dracnal

« Reply #665: June 24, 2019, 09:26:58 AM »
Distracted driving is a real problem for motorcyclists.     I've had cars turn in front of me several times  ...  drivers on a cell (maybe looking on a map app).     Sometime they're simply lookin' down range at the other 4 wheeled vehicles behind me.    Of course, that's better than following a lady who was "drifting" in her lane.     Plan of action was to pass and get away.     As I went by (on 7 at speed), I noticed she was reading a book to her children   ....   who were in the back seat.

Yeah, I've heard countless stories of folks driving cars who just don't pay attention and destroy bikers, even though said bikers were driving safely and paying full attention. She's a good driver, but I really feel happier with her having a full on car with airbags and frame to protect her.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #666: June 24, 2019, 11:59:03 AM »
Yeah, I've heard countless stories of folks driving cars who just don't pay attention and destroy bikers, even though said bikers were driving safely and paying full attention. She's a good driver, but I really feel happier with her having a full on car with airbags and frame to protect her.

I totally understand.    My dad told me the same thing in the 60s.    Motorcycling is a totally different driving experience.    It's constantly paying attention/head on a swivel   ....  even on a back road alone.     Gravel, animals, etc. can sneak up on you.     If she/you decided to go with a bike, make sure she takes the safety course/intro given at the Community College in E. Loudoun.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#m_course.asp

Gives ya good tips/skills.    You're with bikers of varying skill levels and most importantly, ya don't have to take the driving part of the license test.      :)

Online dracnal

« Reply #667: June 24, 2019, 12:29:59 PM »
I totally understand.    My dad told me the same thing in the 60s.    Motorcycling is a totally different driving experience.    It's constantly paying attention/head on a swivel   ....  even on a back road alone.     Gravel, animals, etc. can sneak up on you.     If she/you decided to go with a bike, make sure she takes the safety course/intro given at the Community College in E. Loudoun.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#m_course.asp

Gives ya good tips/skills.    You're with bikers of varying skill levels and most importantly, ya don't have to take the driving part of the license test.      :)

Thanks, mitlen. Great advice.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #668: June 24, 2019, 02:15:49 PM »
Thanks, mitlen. Great advice.

IIRC the Community College provides the bikes.    You don't even have to own one.    That way, you don't have to spend money (other than the training fee) to find out if you like it.        May need a permit to take the class.

One of the things I enjoyed was the immersion in motorcycle riding over 3 days.    Some class room/some road (parking lot) work.    There are riders who've been on the road 50 years to novices.   

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #669: June 26, 2019, 08:40:04 AM »
We had some pints with a group of British "Rolling Thunder" bikers in Ieper (Ypres) last week.  Their leathers were painted with the Menin Gate, poppies, Spitfires, etc, and they were doing their annual pilgrimage to the salient, Somme, Dunkirk, and Normandy. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #670: June 26, 2019, 09:26:35 AM »
We had some pints with a group of British "Rolling Thunder" bikers in Ieper (Ypres) last week.  Their leathers were painted with the Menin Gate, poppies, Spitfires, etc, and they were doing their annual pilgrimage to the salient, Somme, Dunkirk, and Normandy. 

Very cool beans  ...   :clap:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #671: July 04, 2019, 07:15:17 PM »
Trimmin' my flowers, refreshin' my Vienna Lager in E. Loudoun and a unique signature (non-passenger jet noise) is in my ear.    I look up and there's the B-2.    Young girl sez, "It looks like a kite."      I sez, "It's a B-2 Stealth bomber.    A few hundred million dollar kite."      Mom chuckled.

Mentioned to the missus that I saw the B-52 on Memorial Day weekend (Rolling Thunder) and the B-2 on the 4th of July.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #672: July 04, 2019, 07:26:20 PM »
Trimmin' my flowers, refreshin' my Vienna Lager in E. Loudoun and a unique signature (non-passenger jet noise) is in my ear.    I look up and there's the B-2.    Young girl sez, "It looks like a kite."      I sez, "It's a B-2 Stealth bomber.    A few hundred million dollar kite."     Mom chuckled.
if you had been using your radar gun, you would not have noticed

Offline mitlen

« Reply #673: July 04, 2019, 07:27:35 PM »
if you had been using your radar gun, you would not have noticed

She was playin' low and slow over/near Dulles.    Up into the clouds and off to MO I suppose.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #674: July 04, 2019, 07:39:06 PM »
Himself saw a "flying sherman"