Author Topic: Rolling Thunder  (Read 42779 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Rolling Thunder
« Reply #500: May 25, 2018, 09:03:49 PM »
Good luck to all going / participating. I’ll be at a local cemetery tomorrow placing flags on veteran grave sites in the morning.

I still have one from ANC.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #501: May 25, 2018, 09:10:52 PM »
This is why we do it.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #502: May 25, 2018, 09:22:51 PM »

Offline mitlen

« Reply #503: May 26, 2018, 01:44:49 PM »
Looks like the rain will make me a pass again this year.  Not sure I could wrestle the bike in good weather with my shoulder, much less in rain...

Enjoy...

I went out today for the second straight day in a long long time.    I was thinkin' about how smart this move is.    To come from the Fashionable West End, bad shoulder, VaRKcycle, Rolling Thunder, possible rain, etc., ...  not a good idea.    I was talkin' to some people about how you/we lose certain MC skills as we get older.    If ya live long enough, you recognize it and act accordingly.    Another good reason to take the truck to the marina.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #504: May 26, 2018, 02:02:18 PM »
I went out today for the second straight day in a long long time.    I was thinkin' about how smart this move is.    To come from the Fashionable West End, bad shoulder, VaRKcycle, Rolling Thunder, possible rain, etc., ...  not a good idea.    I was talkin' to some people about how you/we lose certain MC skills as we get older.    If ya live long enough, you recognize it and act accordingly.    Another good reason to take the truck to the marina.

Thanks...I don't get accused of being smart very often...  :D

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #505: May 26, 2018, 06:24:11 PM »
by the way, the Roadducks are playing are playing from 4- 8 in CCSP's parking lot Friday (too late), Saturday (nearly too late) and Sunday, free with a cash bar and food for purchase.  CCSP always has a heavy presence of Rolling Thunder participants.  Should have given Mitlen a heads up earlier.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #506: June 06, 2018, 04:40:10 PM »
D-Day

Offline mitlen

« Reply #507: August 06, 2018, 09:32:49 AM »
Hiroshima

We were talkin'/writin' about the Enola Gay in another thread.     Today is why she's in the Udvar-Hazy Center.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enola_Gay

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #508: August 06, 2018, 11:08:53 AM »
Hiroshima

We were talkin'/writin' about the Enola Gay in another thread.     Today is why she's in the Udvar-Hazy Center.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enola_Gay
my Dad's got a citation from the War Department dated 8/6/45.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #509: August 06, 2018, 11:12:09 AM »
my Dad's got a citation from the War Department dated 8/6/45.

Was he a crew member?    Enola Gay or Tinian?    Other action on that day or previous to 8/6?    I know.   I know.    Askin' too many questions but I was a history major and personal stories make history live.    :)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #510: August 06, 2018, 01:20:51 PM »
Was he a crew member?    Enola Gay or Tinian?    Other action on that day or previous to 8/6?    I know.   I know.    Askin' too many questions but I was a history major and personal stories make history live.    :)
Worked on the Manhattan Project, first at Columbia and then at Oak Ridge. 

Dad was a chemistry major (class of '42) who went to work setting up TNT plants (and playing semi-pro basketball as a 6' 2" center), first in Illinois and then at Niagara Falls.  I guess he gained some expertise in weapons production lines, so he was given an opportunity to volunteer for an undisclosed project. He of course said I like it here, what if I don't volunteer, to which the response was "we'll draft you and pay you less."  Convinced, he first ended up working at the test pile at Columbia then went down to Oak Ridge to set up the gaseous diffusion line.  He more or less was a production supervisor and trouble shooter, but he got to work with a couple of guys with Nobels.  Grandma got to know a few of them; they liked her strudel (a recipe that's lost :( ).

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #511: August 06, 2018, 01:23:19 PM »

Dad was a chemistry major (class of '42) who went to work setting up TNT plants (and playing semi-pro basketball as a 6' 2" center), first in Illinois and then at Niagara Falls.  I guess he gained some expertise in weapons production lines, so he was given an opportunity to volunteer for an undisclosed project. He of course said I like it here, what if I don't volunteer, to which the response was "we'll draft you and pay you less."  Convinced, he first ended up working at the test pile at Columbia then went down to Oak Ridge to set up the gaseous diffusion line.  He more or less was a production supervisor and trouble shooter, but he got to work with a couple of guys with Nobels.  Grandma got to know a few of them; they liked her strudel (a recipe that's lost :( ).

Small world...my paternal grandfather worked at Oak Ridge, and I seem to recall my father telling me that grandpa had a citation related to the bomb production as well...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #512: August 06, 2018, 01:35:24 PM »

Thanks for the follow-up JCA.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #513: August 27, 2018, 03:18:21 PM »
McCain will lie in state on Friday in the Capitol Rotunda beginning approximately 10 AM.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #514: August 31, 2018, 04:53:16 PM »
Just got back from the Rotunda.    I was with the first group that got in and it was worth it all.   

Fair winds and following seas John McCain.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #515: August 31, 2018, 05:43:12 PM »
Just got back from the Rotunda.    I was with the first group that got in and it was worth it all.   

Well done...

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #516: August 31, 2018, 05:51:12 PM »

RIP.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #517: August 31, 2018, 07:24:38 PM »

Someone joked earlier they didn’t see you on tv, but I knew you wrrr there :thumbs:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #518: August 31, 2018, 07:29:22 PM »
Someone joked earlier they didn’t see you on tv, but I knew you wrrr there :thumbs:

There was media all over the place talking to folks.    I know I was in somebody's shot  ...   saw CNN, VOA video, Washington Post video, local channels 7 and 9, etc.    There was a crew from Phoenix.    The guys I was with were asked for comments and we were polite and said, "No thank you."    "The guys", I had never met before this morning.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #519: August 31, 2018, 07:30:36 PM »
There was media all over the place talking to folks.    I know I was in somebody's shot  ...   saw CNN, VOA video, Washington Post video, local channels 7 and 9  ...   The guys I was with were asked for comments and we were polite and said, "No thank you."

Awesome. Glad you got to pay your respects to a fellow Vet.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #520: December 03, 2018, 04:31:11 PM »
Tomorrow will be a good time to stop by the Rotunda and pay respects to the WWII generation (my dad, uncles, GHWB, etc.).     Take a moment to recognize decency as well.     From there, I can go to the stadium to pick up my Stein.    They'd understand.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #521: December 03, 2018, 04:54:26 PM »
Tomorrow will be a good time to stop by the Rotunda and pay respects to the WWII generation (my dad, uncles, GHWB, etc.).     Take a moment to recognize decency as well.     From there, I can go to the stadium to pick up my Stein.    They'd understand.
:clap:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #522: December 12, 2018, 07:44:20 PM »
Wreaths Across America on Saturday (15th) around noon.     Looks like rain all day.     I'll go golfing tomorrow.    Unload the rain gear when I get home and put it where I can find it Saturday morning.     

https://www.wreathsacrossamerica.org/

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #523: December 12, 2018, 07:57:08 PM »
Wreaths Across America on Saturday (15th) around noon.     Looks like rain all day.     I'll go golfing tomorrow.    Unload the rain gear when I get home and put it where I can find it Saturday morning.     

https://www.wreathsacrossamerica.org/

I'll be at Quantico National Military Cemetery.  Last year we couldn't find parking, hopefully we'll find a spot this year.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #524: December 12, 2018, 08:01:12 PM »
I'll be at Quantico National Military Cemetery.  Last year we couldn't find parking, hopefully we'll find a spot this year.

I usually walk to Chestnut Grove (Herndon).    It's a few miles but an easy walk.     I head to Arlington (subway) for the pick up.