Author Topic: Rolling Thunder  (Read 43282 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Rolling Thunder
« Reply #450: September 28, 2017, 09:24:04 PM »
VaRK,

You may have mentioned this before and I forgot but are the names being read alphabetically or by date of KIA?     If it's by date, do you have, or know where I can find, specific date reading times?

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #451: September 28, 2017, 09:27:42 PM »
VaRK,

You may have mentioned this before an I forgot but are the names being read alphabetically or by date of KIA?     If it's by date, do you have, or know where I can find, specific date times?

I suspect by date...no real idea though.  I have my list of 30 names is all...and it is not alphabetical.

My date is 6/30/70 on Panel 9W, Line 106, and I guess you could work yourself backwards somehow at 2 minutes per 30.  You might ask them if you have a specific date of name you are interested...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #452: September 28, 2017, 09:30:57 PM »
I suspect by date...no real idea though.  I have my list of 30 names is all...and it is not alphabetical.

My date is 6/30/70 on Panel 9W, Line 106, and I guess you could work yourself backwards somehow at 2 minutes per 30.  You might ask them if you have a specific date of name you are interested...

I suppose it'll be sometime after you on the same day.    Will they read for 24 yours?

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #453: September 28, 2017, 09:45:21 PM »
I suppose it'll be sometime after you on the same day.    Will they read for 24 yours?

Here ya go:

http://www.vvmf.org/rotn

They will tell you the approx time for a given name.

The Reading of the Names will take place at The Wall for 65 hours over a four-day period beginning with an opening ceremony on Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 3:00 p.m. 

Volunteers will read names for approximately eight hours from 4 p.m. on November 7 to 12 a.m. on November 8.  Participants will then read the names for 19 hours daily from 5 a.m. until 12 a.m. on November 8, 9, and 10.

HOW DO I KNOW WHEN A CERTAIN NAME IS BEING READ?

You can visit www.vvmf.org/rotn. The following are approximations of when names will be read according to date of casualty:

DATE                            START            END
Tuesday, November 7           June 1956    October 1966
Wednesday, November 8   October 1966    March 1968     
Thursday, November 9       March 1968   April 1969 
Friday, November 10           April 1969    May 1975   

Offline mitlen

« Reply #454: September 28, 2017, 09:56:56 PM »
Thanks for the info.    At this time, I'm more interested in time frames.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #455: September 29, 2017, 11:34:46 AM »
In the Burns/Novick doc, those who passed away in the narrative, they would focus on the names on the Wall.  The first two names are advisers who were shot when the VC infiltrated a base and shot up the area where the advisers were watching a film, IIRC.  The Wall is chron order, with the point of the V being the beginning on one panel and the end on another.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #456: September 29, 2017, 11:37:18 AM »
Thanks for the info.    At this time, I'm more interested in time frames.

Not sure if you saw this part...

http://www.vvmf.org/rotn

Fill this out...they will tell you the approx time for a given name.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #457: September 29, 2017, 11:37:26 AM »
In the Burns/Novick doc, those who passed away in the narrative, they would focus on the names on the Wall.  The first two names are advisers who were shot when the VC infiltrated a base and shot up the area where the advisers were watching a film, IIRC.  The Wall is chron order, with the point of the V being the beginning on one panel and the end on another.

I watched the last episode last night.    I thought it was well done and if you're a history buff, a vet, etc., watch it.    It's worth the time.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #458: September 29, 2017, 02:35:18 PM »
I watched the last episode last night.    I thought it was well done and if you're a history buff, a vet, etc., watch it.    It's worth the time.

I'm still working through it and I have a couple of more episodes to watch. Great work, and lots of great research and details even for those who are very familiar with the topic. Not as good as some of Burn's others work, though, because I found some of it a bit disjointed with a lot of rough segues. But for sure worth the time to watch it. It should be mandatory viewing for every American.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #459: November 10, 2017, 07:00:37 PM »
They approved my request.  I will be reading Andrew's name, and that of 29 others...

Thanks to brother mitlen...he was at the Wall for my reading tonight, supporting me and Mrs. VaRK.  It was indeed emotional...

mitlen sends his best to all y'all...

Online skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #460: November 11, 2017, 12:18:37 AM »
Thanks to brother mitlen...he was at the Wall for my reading tonight, supporting me and Mrs. VaRK.  It was indeed emotional...

I'm sure it was completely overwhelming VaRK, so awesome Mitlen was there for you :clap:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #461: November 11, 2017, 08:42:56 AM »

Awesome.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #462: November 11, 2017, 11:02:14 AM »

:clap:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #463: November 21, 2017, 08:25:24 AM »

A reminder...great remembrances, and gifts for others this holiday season...

https://donate.wreathsacrossamerica.org/

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #464: November 21, 2017, 10:46:07 AM »

We'll be at Quantico National Cemetery placing wreaths in December. 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #465: November 21, 2017, 11:40:04 AM »
We'll be at Quantico National Cemetery placing wreaths in December.

:thumbs:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #466: November 23, 2017, 06:02:43 PM »

Donated my wreaths and will volunteer at Chestnut Grove Cemetery in Herndon.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #467: November 23, 2017, 06:49:32 PM »
Donated my wreaths and will volunteer at Chestnut Grove Cemetery in Herndon.

Awesome, mitlen   :clap:...

...I did my wreaths and am volunteering at the the Richmond Cemetery this year... 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #468: December 16, 2017, 09:27:00 AM »
Awesome, mitlen   :clap:...

...I did my wreaths and am volunteering at the the Richmond Cemetery this year... 

Headin' over to Chestnut Grove.     Think I'll walk on this nice spring day   ....  about 6 or so miles round trip.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #469: December 16, 2017, 09:46:39 AM »
Headin' over to Chestnut Grove.     Think I'll walk on this nice spring day   ....  about 6 or so miles round trip.

You are a hearty old soul...good on ya...  ;)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #470: December 16, 2017, 02:18:23 PM »
Nice turnout for Wreaths Across America at the Richmond National Cemetery today.  Sadly, they only had 1,800 wreaths for the 6,900 buried there...many of which are Civil War unknowns, with many of those in group graves...

Amazing Grace on the bagpipes always gets me...

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #471: December 16, 2017, 02:28:17 PM »
 :clap: :thumbs:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #472: December 16, 2017, 02:51:28 PM »
Nice turnout for Wreaths Across America at the Richmond National Cemetery today.  Sadly, they only had 1,800 wreaths for the 6,900 buried there...many of which are Civil War unknowns, with many of those in group graves...

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)

Amazing Grace on the bagpipes always gets me...

Well done.    I came home the long way.     Ended up bein' close to 8 miles.    BS'd with a lot of old vets.    I rendered my "proper hand salute" during taps.    "Amazing Grace" may have been more than I could have taken.     

Are the Confederate graves stones in Richmond National arched to a point?     Reason I ask, I've heard (could be an urban/Army legend) that the Confederate graves in Arlington (near the Old Chapel entrance) come to a point because they didn't want no damn Yankees restin' on 'em.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #473: December 16, 2017, 02:53:34 PM »
You are a hearty old soul...good on ya...  ;)

Good infantry training and clean living.    :)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #474: December 16, 2017, 03:15:14 PM »
Tried to go to WAA at Quantico Cemetery today and ran into a huge traffic jam. Parking lot was full as were side streets and the main road leading in. Eventually gave up and went home. :(