Author Topic: Rolling Thunder  (Read 42792 times)

Online GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Rolling Thunder
« Reply #251: May 23, 2016, 05:35:44 PM »
CNN:

Veterans Affairs Secretary Bob McDonald downplayed Monday the time it takes for veterans to receive medical treatment by comparing the "experience" of waiting for health care to Disneyland guests waiting for a ride.

"When you go to Disney, do they measure the number of hours you wait in line? Or what's important?" McDonald told reporters at a Christian Science Monitor breakfast in Washington. "What's important is what's your satisfaction with the experience?"

American Legion National Commander Dale Barnett excoriated McDonald: "The American Legion agrees that the VA secretary's analogy between Disneyland and VA wait times was an unfortunate comparison because
people don't die while waiting to go on Space Mountain."

Boom

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #252: May 23, 2016, 06:37:03 PM »
CNN:

Veterans Affairs Secretary Bob McDonald downplayed Monday the time it takes for veterans to receive medical treatment by comparing the "experience" of waiting for health care to Disneyland guests waiting for a ride.

What a freaking maroon...and he's in charge...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #253: May 23, 2016, 06:38:51 PM »
What a freaking maroon...and he's in charge...

Barack oughta call him in and say, "We're gonna have a get together in the Rose Garden.    We'll talk about Memorial Day and you'll make a statement about your resignation."

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #254: May 23, 2016, 06:41:46 PM »
Barack oughta call him in and say, "We're gonna have a get together in the Rose Garden.    We'll talk about Memorial Day and you'll make a statement about your resignation."

They need to do this...tomorrow...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #255: May 23, 2016, 06:46:06 PM »
They need to do this...tomorrow...
I would think that all cabinet secretaries would have to have their speeches cleared by someone in the White House. Or maybe he forgot?  Does he know that people actually pay extra to skip those wonderful lines at Disney.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #256: May 23, 2016, 06:49:40 PM »
I would think that all cabinet secretaries would have to have their speeches cleared by someone in the White House. Or maybe he forgot?  Does he know that people actually pay extra to skip those wonderful lines at Disney.

It was a meeting with some writers/editors at Christian Science Monitor.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #257: May 23, 2016, 07:06:20 PM »
It was a meeting with some writers/editors at Christian Science Monitor.
Someone should have muzzled him.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #258: May 23, 2016, 07:07:46 PM »
Someone should have muzzled him.

I don't have any idea how someone could even come up with that analogy.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #259: May 23, 2016, 07:13:14 PM »
I don't have any idea how someone could even come up with that analogy.

Years ago when I was working at the State Department I believe someone had execs from Disney advising them on how they could make visa waits more comfortable at the US embassies. It's hard to know what joes through the minds of some political appointees.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #260: May 23, 2016, 07:15:04 PM »
Years ago when I was working at the State Department I believe someone had execs from Disney advising them on how they could make visa waits more comfortable at the US embassies. It's hard to know what joes through the minds of some political appointees.

:shrug:

I was in PA over the weekend.    My cousin's husband is having issues with the VA (Vietnam vet).    I've had issues with Social Security.    We were all commiserating.    We came to the conclusion that they (government) don't give a f***.    They get their health care, etc. and that's all that matters.    They go home at 4.   Pick up the kid and take 'im to soccer practice.    Good luck.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #261: May 23, 2016, 07:29:29 PM »
For the VA to provide the quality care to everyone eligible (be it through privitization or construction and staffing increases) would cost more than anyone torn either side of the aisle would be willing to pay. At the same time, good luck getting a politician to say that, hence the current situation

Offline mitlen

« Reply #262: May 23, 2016, 07:32:52 PM »
For the VA to provide the quality care to everyone eligible (be it through privitization or construction and staffing increases) would cost more than anyone torn either side of the aisle would be willing to pay. At the same time, good luck getting a politician to say that, hence the current situation

I bet they'd find the money if their children (family) needed the care.    Don't even get me started with "boots on the ground".    :)

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #263: May 23, 2016, 07:35:33 PM »
I bet they'd find the money if their children needed the care.

Maybe, but they're fine underfunding Medicaid, so if guess you need the as long as their kids isn't poor proviso. The only program of that scale adequately funded is Medicare and its bankrupting the country, but old people vote so it'll probably continue to be well funded

Offline mitlen

« Reply #264: May 23, 2016, 07:36:56 PM »
Maybe, but they're fine underfunding Medicaid, so if guess you need the as long as their kids isn't poor proviso. The only program of that scale adequately funded is Medicare and is bankrupting the country, but old people vote so it'll probably continue to be well funded

Hey, keep old people out of this.      :old:    That's exactly right though.    "Let's cut somebody else's benefits/gravy train."    Of course, Medicare and Social Security would bankrupt the country quicker if they'd (politicians) quit stealin' from it.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #265: May 23, 2016, 07:41:07 PM »
Or if Medicare and social security taxes were set by actuaries to reflect future withdrawal, but thats crazy talk

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #266: May 23, 2016, 07:43:23 PM »
:shrug:

I was in PA over the weekend.    My cousin's husband is having issues with the VA (Vietnam vet).    I've had issues with Social Security.    We were all commiserating.    We came to the conclusion that they (government) don't give a f***.    They get their health care, etc. and that's all that matters.    They go home at 4.   Pick up the kid and take 'im to soccer practice.    Good luck.
I always left at 4. Of course I was there at 7. (And didn't deal with the public). Not sure what all the issues are with the VA but they sound totally dysfunctional. My daughter and SIL both hated their rotations at the VA in med school. Daughter said it was frustrating to deal with folks with health care issues who did not listen (eg stop smoking, stop eating bad food). It's probably tough for the VA to attract good young doctors.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #267: May 23, 2016, 07:45:06 PM »
Or if Medicare and social security taxes were set by actuaries to reflect future withdrawal, but thats crazy talk

My pops ranted about waste, etc. a lot.    I told him one time that upon his "retirement", he'd use all the money he put into Social Security plus interest by the time he was 74 (he was 78 at the time).    What set him off was when I call him a "welfare queen".    :P

Offline mitlen

« Reply #268: May 23, 2016, 07:48:52 PM »
I always left at 4. Of course I was there at 7. (And didn't deal with the public). Not sure what all the issues are with the VA but they sound totally dysfunctional. My daughter and SIL both hated their rotations at the VA in med school. Daughter said it was frustrating to deal with folks with health care issues who did not listen (eg stop smoking, stop eating bad food). It's probably tough for the VA to attract good young doctors.

Oh, I'm sure.   That's why I believe in national service.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #269: May 23, 2016, 07:49:17 PM »
My pops ranted about waste, etc. a lot.    I told him one time that upon his "retirement", he'd use all the money he put into Social Security plus interest by the time he was 74 (he was 78 at the time).    What set him off was when I call him a "welfare queen".    :P
Some of us would be willing to pay a little more in taxes to fund these programs but that does not seem to fly with much of the public. They want all the services but not pay for it.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #270: May 27, 2016, 06:35:53 PM »
No matter what you think of the military or veterans    No matter what you think of all the motorcycles.    No matter what you think of policy.

Take a moment.

Online GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #271: May 27, 2016, 06:54:41 PM »
Two out of three ain't bad. :D

And I will.

No matter what you think of the military or veterans    No matter what you think of all the motorcycles.    No matter what you think of policy.

Take a moment.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #272: May 27, 2016, 06:57:05 PM »

Take a moment.
Will do.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #273: May 29, 2016, 06:12:23 PM »
I'm embarrassed that Trump showed up for a portion of Rolling Thunder.     There is no place for politics in this "demonstration".     Where the hell was Trump when it was time to serve?    Trump and Cheney are butt buddies.

EDIT:   And to be bi-partisan  ....  Bill Clinton too.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #274: May 29, 2016, 07:47:50 PM »
Someone asked why there was a delay at the rear of the group leaving the Pentagon and was told two bikes wrecked each other on the bridge...enough that there were injuries.  Hope it was nothing serious.