Author Topic: Rolling Thunder  (Read 42769 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Rolling Thunder
« Reply #225: January 31, 2016, 03:32:16 PM »
And for the record, I feel gratitude to those who have served in the Armed Forces. Many members of my family have served. I love my country. I just don't care as much about symbols as I do about the freedoms they represent.

Veterans go deep in my family, including the missus and me, but this is pretty much where I'm at as well.       However, the Medal of Honor and the Distinguished Service Medals are a special categories.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #226: January 31, 2016, 06:11:01 PM »
I'd put combat infantry/medical badge into what ever category you create (i respect that one when I see it more than almost any other medal). I still don't care if some assailed wears one they didn't earn (do a Google image search for stolen valor and see if any result comes close to looking real)as long as they don't try to profit from it (I also have no problem with people calling them on it and humiliating them, but almost every video I've seen of that seems to be veterans picking on kids with downs syndrome who idolize mitary)

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #227: February 03, 2016, 10:28:41 AM »

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #228: February 03, 2016, 01:34:53 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/02/politics/navy-seal-medal-of-honor/index.html

not bad for a guy who enlisted as a corpsman
I liked what they did yesterday when they announced this.  Because this guy is still active, they showed a pictured of just his uniform torso - no face or anything - because his appearance is still secret.  The guy in the CNN photo is another SEAL killed on the raid.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #229: March 03, 2016, 03:33:06 PM »
70 Years after Service, World War II Veteran Receives Purple Heart

http://abc30.com/1208144/

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/02/24/70-years-service-merced-man-receives-purple-heart.html

When the honor finally came for Stephens in December, it arrived in a most unceremonious way: It was delivered by mail, the package simply left on his doorstep.

Our government can do better than this.  :evil:  Thankfully, some did...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #230: March 03, 2016, 03:37:16 PM »
70 Years after Service, World War II Veteran Receives Purple Heart

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/02/24/70-years-service-merced-man-receives-purple-heart.html

When the honor finally came for Stephens in December, it arrived in a most unceremonious way: It was delivered by mail, the package simply left on his doorstep.

Our government can do better than this.  :evil:  Thankfully, some did...

The government is busy doin' other things   ....   like makin' sure our SS payments are correct.    They can'd do everything.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #231: March 03, 2016, 03:38:05 PM »
The government is busy doin' other things   ....   like makin' sure our SS payments are correct.

How's that workin' for ya...  :D

Offline mitlen

« Reply #232: March 03, 2016, 03:40:23 PM »
How's that workin' for ya...  :D

I'm back to "normal" for now.    Next month it'll be something else.    Did I ever tell ya about the time I tried to use my old draft card as ID to vote?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #233: March 03, 2016, 03:40:58 PM »
I'm back to "normal" for now.    Next month it'll be something else.    Did I ever tell ya about the time I tried to use my old draft card as ID to vote?

What'd they tell ya?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #234: March 03, 2016, 03:42:57 PM »
What'd they tell ya?

The "younger" person said she didn't know what it was and it wasn't official ID.    Imagine that?    I got a good chuckle out of it.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #235: March 03, 2016, 03:44:38 PM »
The "younger" person said she didn't know what it was and it wasn't official ID.    Imagine that?    I got a good chuckle out of it.

Too bad she didn't declare it unofficial about 50 years ago...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #236: March 03, 2016, 03:45:14 PM »
Too bad she didn't declare it unofficial about 50 years ago...

That's what made me chuckle.    :)     I didn't wanna bore her with the story.    "Back in the day" ya were supposed to report back to your local board to get a "new" card after ya ETS'd.    I walked in and told the receptionist what I wanted.    She started to work on it and I asked, "How's business?"

Offline dracnal

« Reply #237: March 03, 2016, 04:02:41 PM »
I don't know when, but at some point they stopped actually issuing any sort of card. Maybe when they quit drafting? Not sure. But I registered and never had one.

Then there's my wife who got denied financial aid for refusing to register for the selective service. She went to the fin aid office at the college and asked what the heck was going on. They explained. She looked at the guy, looked down at her chest (a 34C), looked back at the guy and just stared until he suddenly exclaimed, 'Oh!! So sorry!' and fixed it.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #238: March 03, 2016, 04:15:37 PM »
I don't know when, but at some point they stopped actually issuing any sort of card. Maybe when they quit drafting? Not sure. But I registered and never had one.

Then there's my wife who got denied financial aid for refusing to register for the selective service. She went to the fin aid office at the college and asked what the heck was going on. They explained. She looked at the guy, looked down at her chest (a 34C), looked back at the guy and just stared until he suddenly exclaimed, 'Oh!! So sorry!' and fixed it.

I still carry my re-issued draft card.    It's a conversation piece.   

Your wife was a draft dodger?    :)     She's in good company.   We all were.    I gotta admit though, I never thought of that ploy.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #239: March 03, 2016, 04:28:38 PM »
My uncle's method was going to the academy- who'd have thought vietnam would last longer than 4 years- my dad had the right idea- keep piling up the degrees, by the time he had his MD, he was in the peace time navy

Offline mitlen

« Reply #240: March 10, 2016, 06:36:12 PM »
The Board has fired the CEO and COO of Wounded Warrior Foundation per CBS News.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #241: March 10, 2016, 06:44:03 PM »
Good, too bad we don't have better Korea justice for them

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #242: March 10, 2016, 07:28:13 PM »

Yes!

Offline mitlen

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #244: March 10, 2016, 09:40:46 PM »

Finally fired by a Board that hired them and approved all their activities until the bad press started impacting donations?  Why is the board still the board???

Offline mitlen

« Reply #245: March 10, 2016, 09:42:04 PM »
Finally fired by a Board that hired them and approved all their activities until the bad press started impacting donations?  Why is the board still the board???

Gotta start somewhere but that is the way of business.

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/mission/board-of-directors.aspx

There's a guy on the board from CBS.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #246: March 11, 2016, 06:41:25 AM »
At this point, even if they claim to have reformed why donate to them over the myriad of other charities that never had to reform?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #247: March 11, 2016, 08:11:21 AM »
At this point, even if they claim to have reformed why donate to them over the myriad of other charities that never had to reform?

In my cynical state, when it's bad, I think a lot of "charities" cut corners and skim.    Even at 10% or 15% administrative costs, there's fluff.    My feeling is when dealing with these amounts of money, somebody's "stealing" (at least questionable spending).    Leadership sits around the conference table talking to each other justifying the spending (echo chamber effect).    They become the message.    They believe they are the reason for the charity's success    So, riding into a meeting on a horse at a 5 star resort in Colorado makes sense.    When they thought this idea up, everybody sat around the conference table, nodding and taking notes.    Where were these people?   They were silent.     One guy blows the whistle, the rest were on the teat.    Gotta go to the gym and work off this bad attitude.    :)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness