Author Topic: Rolling Thunder  (Read 43445 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Rolling Thunder
« Reply #175: December 31, 2015, 06:30:52 PM »
Anybody going on a "polar bear" run tomorrow?     May not be real cold but it's a New Year's Day tradition.

No, but thanks for reminding me...I need to crank it up and let it run a while to charge the battery...the tender only does so much...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #176: December 31, 2015, 06:32:13 PM »
No, but thanks for reminding me...I need to crank it up and let it run a while to charge the battery...the tender only does so much...

I checked the tires today.   Keep it on a tender and start it regularly.    I'm thinking about riding with a group I run with (on occasion).    Problem is all they wanna do is ride to eat.     I can eat anytime.   Oh, what to wear?     :)

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #177: December 31, 2015, 06:51:19 PM »
Anybody going on a "polar bear" run tomorrow?     May not be real cold but it's a New Year's Day tradition.

I'll probably get my Moto Guzzi  out for a little ride at some point!

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #178: December 31, 2015, 07:03:52 PM »
I'll probably get my Moto Guzzi  out for a little ride at some point!

What sort of Goose do you own?

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #179: December 31, 2015, 09:16:50 PM »
What sort of Goose do you own?

'97 California, it's the anniversary edition and just an amazing bike. I've also got a 2012 Bonneville. But the gootz is my true love.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #180: January 01, 2016, 06:21:11 AM »
Time to "saddle up"    !!!!

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #182: January 22, 2016, 07:23:48 PM »
The Old Guard maintains watch of Tomb of the Unknown Soldier during blizzard

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/80036966-story

Offline mitlen

« Reply #183: January 22, 2016, 07:24:41 PM »
The Old Guard maintains watch of Tomb of the Unknown Soldier during blizzard

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/80036966-story

There was a short shot on NBC4 a few minutes ago.    Those cats are always there.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #184: January 23, 2016, 04:27:17 PM »
There was a short shot on NBC4 a few minutes ago.    Those cats are always there.

Why is this a surprise?? Guard duty is guard duty, you don't get the day off because the weather is bad.....

Offline mitlen

« Reply #185: January 23, 2016, 04:40:40 PM »
Why is this a surprise?? Guard duty is guard duty, you don't get the day off because the weather is bad.....

Ask us how we know that.    :)    I think what makes this a big deal to some folks (not VaRK) is it's seeable.     Hard to see the guy walking the wire in Afghanistan  ...  or the guy on the DMZ in Korea, etc.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #186: January 23, 2016, 05:11:53 PM »
Ask us how we know that.    :)    I think what makes this a big deal to some folks (not VaRK) is it's seeable.     Hard to see the guy walking the wire in Afghanistan  ...  or the guy on the DMZ in Korea, etc.

Yes...this is simply emblematic of the dedication of our service men and women everywhere...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #187: January 23, 2016, 05:13:29 PM »
Yes...this is simply emblematic of the dedication of our service men and women everywhere...

All the way  !!!

Plus, these are the Unknowns.    They represent the selfless sacrifice of some of our service men and women.    As an aside, these folks are Sentinels.    They watch over the Unknowns.     They don't "guard" them.     That is all.   I'll be in the area all day.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #188: January 27, 2016, 10:49:15 AM »
As previously discussed here.  Maybe this will get the attention of the big corporations that have adopted WWF:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/wounded-warrior-project-accused-of-wasting-donation-money/

What caught their attention is how the Wounded Warrior Project spends donations compared to other long-respected charities.  For example, Disabled American Veterans Charitable Service Trust spends 96 percent of its budget on vets.  Fisher House devotes 91 percent.  But according to public records reported by "Charity Navigator," the Wounded Warrior Project spends 60 percent on vets.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #189: January 27, 2016, 10:57:23 AM »
Makes me wonder about the CFC.  They are supposed to flag for donors organizations that take more than 20% of the funds for admin expenses, or maybe even kick them out.  Wounded Warrior must have been in don't ask, don't tell territory because of all the grief CFC would have gotten had they not had them as a charity.  No flag or nothing.  OTOH, very good to hear about Fisher House.  Nice to know they are run that well.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #190: January 27, 2016, 11:00:47 AM »
As previously discussed here.  Maybe this will get the attention of the big corporations that have adopted WWF:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/wounded-warrior-project-accused-of-wasting-donation-money/

What caught their attention is how the Wounded Warrior Project spends donations compared to other long-respected charities.  For example, Disabled American Veterans Charitable Service Trust spends 96 percent of its budget on vets.  Fisher House devotes 91 percent.  But according to public records reported by "Charity Navigator," the Wounded Warrior Project spends 60 percent on vets.
It's sad that there are so many who will abuse those in need.  OT, but I have heard about groups and lawyers who are descending upon Flint MI and selling snake oil to the locals in the water crisis. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #191: January 27, 2016, 11:47:55 AM »

I may have said/written this.   If I have, I'm claimin' elderly privilege (CRS).    Maybe a year ago, I thought about donating to the Wounded Warrior Project.   I went online and looked at a charitable spending site and found WWP lacking in the % that they actually use to help the troops.    I decided not to give to them.    They had submitted all kinds of reasons why the % used for the troops was lower than other organizations.    Last night's piece on CBS sealed the deal for me.    Quit freakin' partying and take care of your charges.    "Team building" is one of the biggest bullcrap activities I ever attended when I was workin' in mid-management (private industry).     Use the charitable giving sites available that breakdown numbers for ya from tax info.      Caveat emptor.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #192: January 28, 2016, 07:55:00 AM »
You didn't say it in these words, but you've surfaced this concern before.

I may have said/written this.   If I have, I'm claimin' elderly privilege (CRS).    Maybe a year ago, I thought about donating to the Wounded Warrior Project.   I went online and looked at a charitable spending site and found WWP lacking in the % that they actually use to help the troops.    I decided not to give to them.    They had submitted all kinds of reasons why the % used for the troops was lower than other organizations.    Last night's piece on CBS sealed the deal for me.    Quit freakin' partying and take care of your charges.    "Team building" is one of the biggest bullcrap activities I ever attended when I was workin' in mid-management (private industry).     Use the charitable giving sites available that breakdown numbers for ya from tax info.      Caveat emptor.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #193: January 29, 2016, 04:44:07 PM »
SAN FRANCISCO — A federal appeals court on Monday tossed out a veteran’s conviction for wearing military medals he didn’t earn, saying it was a form of free speech protected by the Constitution.

http://americanmilitarynews.com/2016/01/outrage-federal-court-rules-stolen-valor-is-protected-by-first-amendment/

:smh:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #194: January 29, 2016, 04:47:08 PM »
Seems reasonable to me. I mean, anyone that would do it is an jerk, but I don't know why it should be illegal.

SAN FRANCISCO — A federal appeals court on Monday tossed out a veteran’s conviction for wearing military medals he didn’t earn, saying it was a form of free speech protected by the Constitution.

http://americanmilitarynews.com/2016/01/outrage-federal-court-rules-stolen-valor-is-protected-by-first-amendment/

:smh:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #195: January 29, 2016, 05:02:00 PM »
Seems reasonable to me. I mean, anyone that would do it is an jerk, but I don't know why it should be illegal.

Because he didn't flippin' EARN them.  We don't all just get to tell potential employers we graduated from Yale, we'd have to EARN that diploma.  They don't give those medals for nothing and wearing them without going through what you have to in order to earn that right is disgraceful and absolutely should be illegal.  It's fraud, plain and simple.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #196: January 29, 2016, 05:02:12 PM »

Seems odd for fraud to be protected by the First Amendment...

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #197: January 29, 2016, 05:03:00 PM »
Seems odd for fraud to be protected by the First Amendment...

Odd and disgraceful.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #198: January 29, 2016, 05:03:47 PM »
Odd and disgraceful.

No argument from me, Skippy...should be illegal too in my book...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #199: January 29, 2016, 05:12:16 PM »
Wearing the uniform and medals.    That's a bit much.