Author Topic: Rolling Thunder  (Read 43266 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Rolling Thunder
« Reply #75: June 01, 2015, 12:50:04 PM »
Scooters?

I have this terrible urge to by a moped/scooter. So far I've suppressed it. It would be this bad boy (the Honda Ruckus).

It ain't just HD's.    I saw scooters, trikes, Boss   ....   you name it.    Victory is a U.S. based company.    I'm sure R. Lee is on some kind of compensation deal.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #76: June 01, 2015, 12:54:13 PM »
Scooters?

I have this terrible urge to by a moped/scooter. So far I've suppressed it. It would be this bad boy (the Honda Ruckus).

(Image removed from quote.)

If I had a neighborhood job that didn't require long commutes, the Ruckus would be the way to go.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #77: June 01, 2015, 01:23:45 PM »
Scooters?

(Image removed from quote.)

My father wanted a Harley.  I bought him a Ruckus to learn on.  He dumped it in his driveway on his first ride.  It sat on his patio for years with 3 miles on it until he gave it away.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #78: June 01, 2015, 01:45:17 PM »
Know what those things are worth second hand???

My father wanted a Harley.  I bought him a Ruckus to learn on.  He dumped it in his driveway on his first ride.  It sat on his patio for years with 3 miles on it until he gave it away.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #79: June 01, 2015, 01:53:18 PM »
Know what those things are worth second hand???

Guessing his was worth a couple of grand...it was like new.  I think it was around 3 grand new.

My dad gave his to a fella that did a lot of work at his house when he moved from Arizona to Nevada.

Here is a link to CycleTrader:

http://www.cycletrader.com/Ruckus----Honda-Motorcycles-on-CycleTrader.com/search-results?category=SCOOTER&make=honda%7C2316874&model=Ruckus%7C764857008&vrsn=hybrid

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #80: June 01, 2015, 02:31:20 PM »
Got home on Saturday...will be at the Nats/Cubs game on June 7th...

Welcome home! this should probably go in the vacation thread but did you love it?  You did a Viking cruise, right? 

Offline blue911

« Reply #81: June 01, 2015, 02:45:43 PM »
Welcome home! this should probably go in the vacation thread but did you love it?  You did a Viking cruise, right?

VaRKing Cruise

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #82: June 01, 2015, 02:49:58 PM »

Yes...it was a wonderful experience...from Budapest to Vienna to Nurnberg, and other cities in between.  The crew and passengers were great...as were the sights. 

The food and service was over-the-top.  Never had someone say "We'll see what we can do", it was always "Yes Sir."  It was very easy travel and we met some great new friends.

Just wish we would have had more free time as the land tours didn't leave you much.  Glad we did it...doubt we do another...but it was a great experience nonetheless. 

Next trip will be back to London for a week or so. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #83: June 01, 2015, 02:50:20 PM »

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #84: June 01, 2015, 02:54:37 PM »
Yes...it was a wonderful experience...from Budapest to Vienna to Nurnberg, and other cities in between.  The crew and passengers were great...as were the sights. 

The food and service was over-the-top.  Never had someone say "We'll see what we can do", it was always "Yes Sir."  It was very easy travel and we met some great new friends.

Just wish we would have had more free time as the land tours didn't leave you much.  Glad we did it...doubt we do another...but it was a great experience nonetheless. 

Sounds like fun.  Back just in time to see your Blackhawks in the Finals again. I am happy to see Kimmo T in the finals although he hasn't played much.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #85: June 01, 2015, 02:56:49 PM »
Apparently the strong dollar is really screwing up Harley Davidson (most of their growth has been export driven for the past decade or so). I guess all of those biker gangs in Europe are having to settle for Yamahas.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #86: June 01, 2015, 04:11:38 PM »
Sounds like fun.  Back just in time to see your Blackhawks in the Finals again. I am happy to see Kimmo T in the finals although he hasn't played much.

Watched game 7 of the Western Conference Finals and was glad we scored early and often.  I think Tampa will be their most formidable opponent in the playoffs...they are crazy good at home.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #87: June 01, 2015, 05:20:58 PM »
Watched game 7 of the Western Conference Finals and was glad we scored early and often.  I think Tampa will be their most formidable opponent in the playoffs...they are crazy good at home.
Hoping for lots of goals, close games and OTs.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #88: June 01, 2015, 05:54:40 PM »

Awesome, glad to get the first hand info, it's definitely something I've thought about for that magical time when vaca's don't have to consist of seeing kids or ever-expanding roster of grandkids :lol:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #89: October 10, 2015, 08:38:17 AM »

I plan to do Rolling Thunder in 2016.  I've done the pre-ride events years ago - basically bar hopping - but never the ride to the Wall.  I'm not getting any younger, and it's time.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #92: November 05, 2015, 11:13:31 AM »
wouldn't be the longest gap between action and recognition
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/president-obama-awards-civil-war-medal-honor-150/story?id=26736549
hopefully he gets it so that his story is preserved

But the way it happened...and the connection with the judge!  Remarkable story...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #93: November 05, 2015, 12:56:40 PM »
But the way it happened...and the connection with the judge!  Remarkable story...
AUSA . . . the government's attorney.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #94: November 07, 2015, 09:26:55 PM »
A truly amazing story...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/04/battle-joined-army-panel-backs-wwii-vets-posthumous-bid-for-medal-honor/

Agreed.  I would want to hear more, the piece doesn't really get into a lot of detail.  No details too minute for my interest in a riveting story.

I am a real fan of US military history - Civil War, WWII, Vietnam Wars my favorites but no limits really.  I'm currently reading E. B. Sledge's "With the old breed", his account of his exploits in the Pacific in WWII, primarily Peleliu and Okinawa.  Incredible. 

I have Jim Webb's "Fields of Fire" high on my list for near term reading.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #95: November 07, 2015, 09:27:53 PM »
Agreed.  I would want to hear more, the piece doesn't really get into a lot of detail.  No details too minute for my interest in a riveting story.

I am a real fan of US military history - Civil War, WWII, Vietnam Wars my favorites but no limits really.  I'm currently reading E. B. Sledge's "With the old breed", his account of his exploits in the Pacific in WWII, primarily Peleliu and Okinawa.  Incredible. 

I have Jim Webb's "Fields of Fire" high on my list for near term reading.

Have you been to Remembrance Day in Gettysburg?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #96: November 07, 2015, 09:43:58 PM »
Have you been to Remembrance Day in Gettysburg?

Have not, someday.  You?

However, I HAVE walked the entire battlefield now twice over, about 8 days of hiking in all, just another benefit of my involvement in my son's Boy Scout career.  I even earned the 5 part award for the effort, one of only a couple of awards a non-scout person can earn.  Not that I care about the award, but I do have great interest in the battle and the war itself.

http://www.gettysburgscouting.org/trail.html

Little Round Top just seemed so small in scale to me.  Devil's Den, exposed to fire from many sides.  But walking Pickett's Charge is something everyone should do, it just deepens your understanding of the pivotal minutes of the war. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #97: November 07, 2015, 09:46:53 PM »
Have not, someday.  You?

However, I HAVE walked the entire battlefield now twice over, about 8 days of hiking in all, just another benefit of my involvement in my son's Boy Scout career.  I even earned the 5 part award for the effort, one of only a couple of awards a non-scout person can earn.  Not that I care about the award, but I do have great interest in the battle and the war itself.

http://www.gettysburgscouting.org/trail.html

Little Round Top just seemed so small in scale to me.  Devil's Den, exposed to fire from many sides.  But walking Pickett's Charge is something everyone should do, it just deepens your understanding of the pivotal minutes of the war. 

Gettysburg is one of my favorites.    They have a nice ceremony on November 19 (anniversary of Lincoln's address) and then on the Saturday closest to the 19th they have a Remembrance Day parade.   It's period troopers and bands.

I've walked across the field (Picketts).   It's amazing how they all focused on the copse.   After the Remembrance Day parade, they have a concert at Little Round Top.   They have a period "band" playing period music.   At sundown, they play taps.   It's something looking out over the Devil's Den, etc. at sunset.

EDIT:    My GGGrandfather was at Shiloh.   He died on November 23, 1862 at Union Hospital #6 in Louisville, KY.   He's buried at Cave Hill National Cemetery.   I doubt any member of my family has ever been to his grave.   It's on my bucket list.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #98: November 20, 2015, 05:18:58 PM »
For all you Civil War buffs, the Gettysburg Remembrance Day Parade is tomorrow (11/21/15) at 1 PM.    Before that, there are gatherings and wreath layings all around the field/town.    I went last year and enjoyed all the "history".    I hope to attend tomorrow's parade as well.

http://www.nps.gov/gett/planyourvisit/event-details.htm?eventID=264642-232573

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #99: November 20, 2015, 05:29:05 PM »
So 15N will be a clusterfreak? We're heading to Harrisburg...

For all you Civil War buffs, the Gettysburg Remembrance Day Parade is tomorrow (11/21/15) at 1 PM.    Before that, there are gatherings and wreath layings all around the field/town.    I went last year and enjoyed all the "history".    I hope to attend tomorrow's parade as well.

http://www.nps.gov/gett/planyourvisit/event-details.htm?eventID=264642-232573