Author Topic: Rolling Thunder  (Read 42791 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Rolling Thunder
« Reply #50: May 22, 2015, 10:11:24 PM »
They're here.  Saw tons on bikes at Wolftrap Inn or hotel in Vienna next to Tequila Grande and quite a few bikers in the bar there.

We're everywhere.   :)

Offline kimnat

« Reply #51: May 22, 2015, 10:12:13 PM »
I never knew you liked bars Kim !?!

Well, it's really a good restaurant with a bar.  And we wanted to watch the ballgame and didn't want to wait for a table, so we sat in the bar. After a day of wild second graders (subbing), a guava mojito was my libation of choice!

Offline kimnat

« Reply #52: May 22, 2015, 10:12:58 PM »
We're everywhere.   :)

Yup!  Including the end of my street. :D

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #53: May 22, 2015, 10:15:25 PM »
I hope to see you at the Red Porch this summer - my treat, soda, water, or otherwise

Well, it's really a good restaurant with a bar.  And we wanted to watch the ballgame and didn't want to wait for a table, so we sat in the bar. After a day of wild second graders (subbing), a guava mojito was my libation of choice!

Offline kimnat

« Reply #54: May 22, 2015, 10:26:52 PM »
I hope to see you at the Red Porch this summer - my treat, soda, water, or otherwise

Aww, thank you!! That would be fun.  :)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #55: May 22, 2015, 10:49:11 PM »
For those of you going to Sunday's game, here's the route and road closure info.

Memorial Bridge to 23rd Street, North on 23rd Street to Constitution Avenue, East on Constitution Avenue to Pennsylvania Avenue, East on Pennsylvania Avenue to 3rd St, South on 3rd Street to Independence Avenue, West on Independence Avenue to West Basin Drive, Southwest on West Basin Drive to Ohio Drive, Northwest on Ohio Drive to Franklin D. Roosevelt Park.

The roads mentioned will be closed from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., police said.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #56: May 23, 2015, 11:56:44 AM »
Mitlen - if you haven't been to the Crystal City Sports Pub and you make it as far in as the Pentagon, an awful lot of RT vets end up there.  23d st South, just off Rt 1.  Take a right before the exxon station,  go through a quick light at Eads, then the Pub is up about half a block.  Lots of bikes on 23d.  Whatever you do, be sure to go past Eads and 23d to the Pub.  Don't stop  at the Crystal City Restaurant, which is next to the 7-11 on the short block between Rt 1 and Eads.  I don't think any RT people will be at CCR.  If you go to CCSP, then I hope the bartenders and waitresses in tank tops for RT will not distract the conversation too  much.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #57: May 23, 2015, 05:44:06 PM »
Mitlen - if you haven't been to the Crystal City Sports Pub and you make it as far in as the Pentagon, an awful lot of RT vets end up there.  23d st South, just off Rt 1.  Take a right before the exxon station,  go through a quick light at Eads, then the Pub is up about half a block.  Lots of bikes on 23d.  Whatever you do, be sure to go past Eads and 23d to the Pub.  Don't stop  at the Crystal City Restaurant, which is next to the 7-11 on the short block between Rt 1 and Eads.  I don't think any RT people will be at CCR.  If you go to CCSP, then I hope the bartenders and waitresses in tank tops for RT will not distract the conversation too  much.

Wasn't there a Tippy's Taco around there someplace?    I might check it out.    Neighbor and I are going to the Pentagon Marina parking lot at Lady Bird.       They start selling beer at the diner around 10.    :)    We walk over to the N. Parking lot and watch 'em ride out.    I used to ride every year in the parade/demonstration/protest.   It wore me out.    I get nervous riding around folks I don't know.    Plus, eagles don't flock.    :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #58: May 23, 2015, 06:07:51 PM »
Wasn't there a Tippy's Taco around there someplace?   

I don't think there's one around there.   Some in the area have closed.  Most of the NoVa franchises were owned by the father of a friend/co-worker of mine.  We always joke that she's the Tippy's heiress    :rofl:     Needless to say, she still keeps her day job just in case.   

I do have their guac recipe however, one fringe benefit of the friendship. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #59: May 23, 2015, 06:16:57 PM »
I don't think there's one around there.   Some in the area have closed.  Most of the NoVa franchises were owned by the father of a friend/co-worker of mine.  We always joke that she's the Tippy's heiress    :rofl:     Needless to say, she still keeps her day job just in case.   

I do have their guac recipe however, one fringe benefit of the friendship. 

I was thinking back in the '70s.    There was what passed for a topless joint in VA around there as well.   My buddy and I used to joke about the ambiance at Tippy's    ....   the flies.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #60: May 23, 2015, 06:18:33 PM »
I was thinking back in the '70s.    There was what passed for a topless joint in VA around there as well.   My buddy and I used to joke about the ambiance at Tippy's    ....   the flies.

I think breastaurants are coming back into vogue.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #61: May 23, 2015, 08:35:02 PM »
That's CCR. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #62: May 25, 2015, 02:16:46 PM »
Spent most of my Rolling Thunder day in and around the north parking lot (staging area).    On Saturday, we rode to Antietam to pay our respects.    Monday, did the local memorial in town.    I have pictures but am not sure how to load them (and I ain't joinin' nothing to upload 'em either   :old:).     Maybe I'll PM VaRK and he can decide what to do with the shots.

Everybody's seen 'em ride by.   I go to the parking lot and try to get individual shots of bikes and such.    Even saw R. Lee Ermey in the lot.   He was one of the boys in for the ride.    Of course, somebody recognized him and blew his cover.    :)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #63: May 25, 2015, 07:01:59 PM »
I saw a small group in Germantown.  A small boy waved at them.  His Dad gave them a thumbs up.

Actually I went the opposite if Skippy.  Watched old James Dean Movies.  Thought all groups of bikers were rough gang types.  Then I heard about Rolling Thunder.  Mike OMeara or Don Geranamo used to ride in Motorcycle charity events. 

I think of Waco as the exception rather than the rule

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #64: May 26, 2015, 01:23:26 PM »
Eagles don't flock.  :clap:
Wasn't there a Tippy's Taco around there someplace?    I might check it out.    Neighbor and I are going to the Pentagon Marina parking lot at Lady Bird.       They start selling beer at the diner around 10.    :)    We walk over to the N. Parking lot and watch 'em ride out.    I used to ride every year in the parade/demonstration/protest.   It wore me out.    I get nervous riding around folks I don't know.    Plus, eagles don't flock.    :)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #65: May 31, 2015, 03:07:14 PM »
Spent most of my Rolling Thunder day in and around the north parking lot (staging area).    On Saturday, we rode to Antietam to pay our respects.    Monday, did the local memorial in town.    I have pictures but am not sure how to load them (and I ain't joinin' nothing to upload 'em either   :old:).     Maybe I'll PM VaRK and he can decide what to do with the shots.

Everybody's seen 'em ride by.   I go to the parking lot and try to get individual shots of bikes and such.    Even saw R. Lee Ermey in the lot.   He was one of the boys in for the ride.    Of course, somebody recognized him and blew his cover.    :)

I really like this one, mitlen...

...and,  of course, Gunny:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #66: May 31, 2015, 03:53:14 PM »
I really like this one, mitlen...

I got a headrush gettin' that shot.    Almost fell into traffic.    :)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #67: May 31, 2015, 09:56:11 PM »
Wait, is VaRK somewhere in Europe still posting your pics for you Mitlen? He is a true friend  :rofl:
Cool shot of the bikes, and is that you in the second one? I feel like that may be a dumb question so if it's some famous motorcycle dude well you already know that's not my thing so don't laugh at me :lol:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #68: May 31, 2015, 10:14:47 PM »
Wait, is VaRK somewhere in Europe still posting your pics for you Mitlen? He is a true friend  :rofl:
Cool shot of the bikes, and is that you in the second one? I feel like that may be a dumb question so if it's some famous motorcycle dude well you already know that's not my thing so don't laugh at me :lol:

That's R. Lee Ermey from "Full Metal Jacket" and "Mail Call" (TV show).    Plus, I'd be posing with a brunette.    :)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #69: May 31, 2015, 11:02:25 PM »
That's R. Lee Ermey from "Full Metal Jacket" and "Mail Call" (TV show).    Plus, I'd be posing with a brunette.    :)

ah ok gotcha, I knew it was probably someone I should know :lol:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #70: June 01, 2015, 07:20:50 AM »
Wait, is VaRK somewhere in Europe still posting your pics for you Mitlen?

Got home on Saturday...will be at the Nats/Cubs game on June 7th...

Online blue911

« Reply #71: June 01, 2015, 08:07:04 AM »

He's wearing a Victory motorcycles shirt.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #72: June 01, 2015, 10:47:58 AM »
He's wearing a Victory motorcycles shirt.

It ain't just HD's.    I saw scooters, trikes, Boss   ....   you name it.    Victory is a U.S. based company.    I'm sure R. Lee is on some kind of compensation deal.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #73: June 01, 2015, 11:15:14 AM »
It ain't just HD's.    I saw scooters, trikes, Boss   ....   you name it.    Victory is a U.S. based company.    I'm sure R. Lee is on some kind of compensation deal.

He has done a number of televison commercials for them...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #74: June 01, 2015, 11:18:59 AM »
He has done a number of televison commercials for them...

Haven't seen 'em.    What shows does Victory advertise on with R. Lee?   I'd like to check 'em out.    Maybe Youtube has some.   Oooh, found some:

EDIT:    I just watched some of his barricks "monologues" in Full Metal Jacket.     Oh man, I laughed so hard it brought tears to my eyes.