Author Topic: Rolling Thunder  (Read 43225 times)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Re: Rolling Thunder
« Reply #25: May 19, 2015, 02:58:33 PM »
are any of the Waco gangs attending?

Well that's kind of what I'm wondering, I don't think these biker gangs are exclusive to Texas.  I have friend in Colorado and he rides in the honor guard, anyway he told me they've got the biker gangs in NM and several other states in the west, wasn't sure how pervasive it was up in that area but I know bikers come from all around for it. 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #26: May 19, 2015, 02:59:23 PM »
No

Ok good, that's what I was hoping. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #27: May 19, 2015, 03:00:02 PM »
The gangs that run crime syndicates tend not to show up at National celebrations of valor.

Well that's kind of what I'm wondering, I don't think these biker gangs are exclusive to Texas.  I have friend in Colorado and he rides in the honor guard, anyway he told me they've got the biker gangs in NM and several other states in the west, wasn't sure how pervasive it was up in that area but I know bikers come from all around for it.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #28: May 19, 2015, 03:06:06 PM »
Ah Mitlen you're too fast for me haha and Gburg I was more thinking that if you get a bunch of guys together who possibly all think their gang is better than your gang and well, crazy things can happen.   I wouldn't think the gangs that run crime syndicates would feel the need to have a shootout at a restaurant my daughter went to with her husband and baby in flippin' Waco TX but they apparently did, like I said it just made me view the bikers I see riding en masse in a different light. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #29: May 19, 2015, 03:06:28 PM »
There are probably a few gang members who know what valor is.    I saw a Marine emblem (Globe and Laurel) or two on the colors of some of the guys in Waco.    I'd guess there are more men and women in motorcycle gangs who have a grasp of valor than the men and women who have presided over White House for the last 22 years.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #30: May 19, 2015, 03:08:00 PM »
There are probably a few gang members who know what valor is.    I saw a Marine emblem (Globe and Laurel) or two on the colors of some of the guys in Waco. 

Yes that's what my friend who does the honor guard riding stuff said. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #31: May 19, 2015, 03:08:25 PM »
No

There are a lot of newbies at the rally. Many wouldn't know a flathead from a knucklehead. Sad in a nostalgic  way.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #32: May 19, 2015, 03:10:25 PM »
Yes that's what my friend who does the honor guard riding stuff said. 

I don't wanna generalize but they are similar concepts.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #33: May 19, 2015, 04:07:34 PM »
There are probably a few gang members who know what valor is.    I saw a Marine emblem (Globe and Laurel) or two on the colors of some of the guys in Waco.    I'd guess there are more men and women in motorcycle gangs who have a grasp of valor than the men and women who have presided over White House for the last 22 years.

Globe and Laurel is British, no?  Our guys have the eagle, globe and anchor, right?

Offline dracnal

« Reply #34: May 19, 2015, 04:12:14 PM »
Globe and Laurel is British, no?  Our guys have the eagle, globe and anchor, right?

Clearly Mitlen dates back to the pre-revolution days and thinks of 'Our boys' as the ones wearing redcoats.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #35: May 19, 2015, 04:15:05 PM »
Clearly Mitlen dates back to the pre-revolution days and thinks of 'Our boys' as the ones wearing redcoats.

Probably when he developed his taste for rum...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #36: May 19, 2015, 04:22:55 PM »

Hell, I don't know.   I was in the Army.    :)     There is a Globe and Laurel Bar near Quantico with Marine stuff in it.    I went with that.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #37: May 19, 2015, 04:31:36 PM »

Aye laddie.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #38: May 19, 2015, 04:31:45 PM »
Hell, I don't know.   I was in the Army.    :)     There is a Globe and Laurel Bar near Quantico with Marine stuff in it.    I went with that.

Meant to ask you...how did you like those three cornered hats they gave you guys? 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #39: May 19, 2015, 04:34:52 PM »
Meant to ask you...how did you like those three cornered hats they gave you guys? 

Between that and the rum  ...   I kept blacking out.

Offline ShenValleyNats

« Reply #40: May 22, 2015, 04:31:26 PM »
Quick question, I'm driving up to the game on Sunday and usually take RT 110 from 66 to 395. Should I avoid using RT 110 due to the Rolling Thunder rally?

Thanks

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #41: May 22, 2015, 05:40:29 PM »
Yes. Don't go near the SW side of the city.  I'd go beltway to 295. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #42: May 22, 2015, 05:55:43 PM »
I've got to say after what happened in Waco I'm kind of seeing bikers all riding together in a kind of different light :(  Has there ever been any trouble with this event?

This is a great event.  When I lived in Alexandria I'd ride my bike (the self propelled type    :lol:  )  down to the mall and always made a point to chat up the motor bike guys/gals.  It's quite Vietnam War centric and that's the closest match to my demographic (I turned 18 in 76, Saigon fell in '75).  No bad experiences seen on my part, the guys I talk to were quite congenial.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #43: May 22, 2015, 05:57:17 PM »
Yes. Don't go near the SW side of the city.  I'd go beltway to 295.

Why do you say that, is there a "rolling" procession at that time?  I'd be headed that way too pregame.

If it's just extra traffic due to bikes in the area I wouldn't let that deter me.

Offline blue911

« Reply #44: May 22, 2015, 06:05:42 PM »
It a chance to honor the Vietnam Vets. They may not have been the greatest generation but they were the best our generation had to give.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #45: May 22, 2015, 09:06:29 PM »
Why do you say that, is there a "rolling" procession at that time?  I'd be headed that way too pregame.

If it's just extra traffic due to bikes in the area I wouldn't let that deter me.

Lots of road closures.  I've been in backups on the 14th st bridge during RT.  not fun.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #46: May 22, 2015, 09:40:56 PM »
This is a great event.  When I lived in Alexandria I'd ride my bike (the self propelled type    :lol:  )  down to the mall and always made a point to chat up the motor bike guys/gals.  It's quite Vietnam War centric and that's the closest match to my demographic (I turned 18 in 76, Saigon fell in '75).  No bad experiences seen on my part, the guys I talk to were quite congenial.
It a chance to honor the Vietnam Vets. They may not have been the greatest generation but they were the best our generation had to give.

Very nice, last year was the first I'd heard of it and it sounded like a fantastic event, I guess the events in Waco just struck too close to home for me, glad to hear it's so respectful. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #47: May 22, 2015, 09:50:42 PM »
Very nice, last year was the first I'd heard of it and it sounded like a fantastic event, I guess the events in Waco just struck too close to home for me, glad to hear it's so respectful. 

I was with some guys today and we discussed Waco.   Not sure what could be done but I'm sure the leadership of the ride would let elements know that certain actions would not be tolerated.    Not just that, many of the "gang members" are vets and have an appreciation for what the remembrance means.    There's a time and place for everything.   This ain't it.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #48: May 22, 2015, 10:07:21 PM »
Ah. But usually I hear a few groups coming in to town.

They're here.  Saw tons on bikes at Wolftrap Inn or hotel in Vienna next to Tequila Grande and quite a few bikers in the bar there.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #49: May 22, 2015, 10:08:29 PM »
I never knew you liked bars Kim !?!

They're here.  Saw tons on bikes at Wolftrap Inn or hotel in Vienna next to Tequila Grande and quite a few bikers in the bar there.