Author Topic: Rolling Thunder  (Read 43285 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Rolling Thunder
« Reply #600: May 24, 2019, 03:41:48 PM »
Stayed up?  no injury? 

Yeah, I was travellin' at street speed so I had "time" for my old responses to kick in.    :)    If I had been at 35 mph plus, I'd be a passenger's side  ornament on the guyz car.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #601: May 24, 2019, 03:42:18 PM »
Be careful.    The fools are in full force.    Headin' over to the hotel this morning to help set up tents for Rolling Thunder.    Hadn't ridden since I got the bike inspected last month.    Ridin' along, mindin' my business, payin' attention and I see a car full stop at the next intersection.    Turn signal on and he's waitin' to make a left.   I got to within 10 yards and he cut in front of me.    I had t-bone in my eyes.    Rear locked and I started slidin'.   Had enough sense to release the rear brake before I high sided.    Got control and the guy looks at me (as he continues on) with the fear of God in his eyes and his hands in the "sorry" gesture.    Didn't even stop.    Old riding buddy's son happened to be behind me.     He stopped to check me out.    The other driver should be thankful I didn't get the bike turned around quick enough to locate him in an industrial park.   

Thanks for the heads-up...that's the greatest danger to bikers...drivers with their head up their ass...glad you had it under control...

I haven't had a real scare like that since Super Bowl Sunday 2001.  I could have laid it down or T-bone him...I chose T-bone.  We don't need a repeat of that...

I'm in full go-mode now...bike is ready...Sunday night stay confirmed.  I'm gonna ride up with a contingent from the Richmond H-D at 8:30am.  I think they'll stop at Patriot H-D as well.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #602: May 24, 2019, 03:44:44 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up...that's the greatest danger to bikers...drivers with their head up their ass...glad you had it under control...

I haven't had a real scare like that since Super Bowl Sunday 2001.  I could have laid it down or T-bone him...I chose T-bone.  We don't need a repeat of that...

I'm in full go-mode now...bike is ready...Sunday night stay confirmed.  I'm gonna ride up with a contingent from the Richmond H-D at 8:30am.  I think they'll stop at Patriot H-D as well.

I have no doubt he was watching car traffic down range and all of a sudden  ....   there I was.    He "didn't even see me".     Keep the rubber side down.

BTW   Be careful in the Rolling Thunder ride as well.    I've seen some slick antics from some of the riders  ...    during the ride.  :shock:    For the most part, you have no idea who these people are and what their skill level/alcohol level is.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #603: May 24, 2019, 03:46:02 PM »
we need to keep you two around. We lose you, we lose half our posts (outside of the Imref / DCFan section, known as Politics).

Offline mitlen

« Reply #604: May 24, 2019, 03:47:01 PM »
we need to keep you two around. We lose you, we lose half our posts (outside of the Imref / DCFan section, known as Politics).

Does spidernat ride?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #605: May 26, 2019, 04:47:34 PM »
B-52 on the flyover today.     My oh my.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #606: May 26, 2019, 05:34:39 PM »
B-52 on the flyover today.     My oh my.
how low did it fly over? I thought they were capable of low level intrusion as well as flying above SAM-2s

Offline mitlen

« Reply #607: May 26, 2019, 05:41:48 PM »
how low did it fly over? I thought they were capable of low level intrusion as well as flying above SAM-2s

Maybe 1500-2000 feet.    Hard to tell but comin' upriver, I've seen takeoffs from National higher at the same spot over the river.    The B-52 came right over the north parking lot.    Like VaRK said, "She's a lumbering beast."     She wasn't low enough that the ground shook.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #608: May 26, 2019, 08:54:57 PM »
I have no doubt he was watching car traffic down range and all of a sudden  ....   there I was.    He "didn't even see me".     Keep the rubber side down.

BTW   Be careful in the Rolling Thunder ride as well.    I've seen some slick antics from some of the riders  ...    during the ride.  :shock:    For the most part, you have no idea who these people are and what their skill level/alcohol level is.
I tell my son he's crazy when he rides his bike--like you said too many clueless drivers. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #609: May 26, 2019, 09:34:13 PM »
I am not trying to make this political. But thought it was pertinent.

Trump says Rolling Thunder will return. Organizers aren’t sure though.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/05/26/politics/rolling-thunder-trump/index.html

Offline mitlen

« Reply #610: May 27, 2019, 07:42:06 AM »
I tell my son he's crazy when he rides his bike--like you said too many clueless drivers. 

After visiting ANC and being in the North Pentagon lot, I walked to the other side of the Pentagon (south) and met VaRK.    We were standing on the corner waiting to cross Army Navy DR and a car tried to turn left in front of bikes comin' straight across the intersection.    The bikers were not happy and advised the driver of such.    The driver changed his mind and waited for the half dozen or so bikes to clear the intersection.     BTW operators of the bikes were in full compliance with the lights/law.     They weren't hotdogging or running a light.

My dad always felt the same way you do.

Heading to the local community Memorial Day service in a bit.   

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #611: May 27, 2019, 10:34:25 AM »
Just a very small sampling of the bikes at Rolling Thunder 2019...

I arrived at 10:30am and was relegated to a lot along Army-Navy Drive.  The North and South Lots were already full/closed.  We were released to join the run at 3:30pm.

Brother mitlen sent these along as well...

WNFF's Official Rolling Thunder Ambassador, mitlen, with the VaRK machine:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #612: May 27, 2019, 03:37:31 PM »

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #613: May 27, 2019, 10:17:24 PM »
Great pics VaRK, thanks for sharing.

Offline blue911

« Reply #614: May 31, 2019, 01:41:47 PM »
Yeah, I was travellin' at street speed so I had "time" for my old responses to kick in.    :)    If I had been at 35 mph plus, I'd be a passenger's side  ornament on the guyz car.

Sometimes you get lucky. They run the Isle of Mann TT the first week in June speaking of insane riders

Offline mitlen

« Reply #615: June 06, 2019, 01:41:58 PM »
D-Day   .....   put the flag out.     When I put the flag out, some of the kids occasionally stop by and want to know why.    Good way for them to get a history lesson.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #616: June 06, 2019, 01:58:18 PM »
Have you been following some of the Pointe du Hoc / Battery Maisy discussion?  Post had a good article. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #617: June 06, 2019, 02:02:39 PM »
Have you been following some of the Pointe du Hoc / Battery Maisy discussion?  Post had a good article. 

I read a bit of the headline/article about questioning the Pointe du Hoc mission.    I didn't get into the details of it.   I may read it at a later time.     Right now, I'm reading "Sacred Duty, A Soldier's Tour at Arlington National Cemetery" by Senator Tom Cotton.   I'm not a good multi-tasker.      :old:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #618: June 06, 2019, 02:29:49 PM »
D-Day   .....   put the flag out.     When I put the flag out, some of the kids occasionally stop by and want to know why.    Good way for them to get a history lesson.
:clap:

I’m sure they enjoy your Revolutionary War tales.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #619: June 06, 2019, 02:33:41 PM »
King Philip was a tough bastard

Offline mitlen

« Reply #620: June 06, 2019, 03:31:48 PM »

One of my 7th GGrandfathers (and family) from MD fought at Cowpens and another 7th GGrandfather (line mentioned below) was at Bunker/Breed's Hill.

King Philip was a tough bastard

My 9th GGrandfather was wounded at the Great Swamp fight in 1696 .

So yes, there is all that too.    The good news is there are no tests  ....  but the kids remember.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #621: June 06, 2019, 03:39:36 PM »
One of my 7th GGrandfathers (and family) from MD fought at Cowpens and another 7th GGrandfather (line mentioned below) was at Bunker/Breed's Hill.

My 9th GGrandfather was wounded at the Great Swamp fight in 1696 .

So yes, there is all that too.    The good news is there are no tests  ....  but the kids remember.
Mine were all eating potatoes or sausage in the old country.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #622: June 06, 2019, 03:40:14 PM »
Mine were all eating potatoes or sausage in the old country.

I have lines to them as well, particularly the potato part.     :)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #623: June 06, 2019, 05:16:41 PM »

:spit:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #624: June 06, 2019, 08:30:48 PM »
https://www.docsteach.org/documents/document/in-case-of-failure

Just a reminder that DDay was never a sure thing