Author Topic: Rolling Thunder  (Read 43292 times)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Rolling Thunder
« Reply #475: December 16, 2017, 03:27:01 PM »
Are the Confederate graves stones in Richmond National arched to a point?     Reason I ask, I've heard (could be an urban/Army legend) that the Confederate graves in Arlington (near the Old Chapel entrance) come to a point because they didn't want no damn Yankees restin' on 'em.

All the graves at RNC are transplanted from other cemeteries.  Not sure there are any Confederate graves here...they are mostly in Richmond's Hollywood Cemetery, IIRC...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #476: December 16, 2017, 04:21:56 PM »
All the graves at RNC are transplanted from other cemeteries.  Not sure there are any Confederate graves here...they are mostly in Richmond's Hollywood Cemetery, IIRC...

Didn't realize Richmond National was way out on the east end.     Hmmmm, right on old Route 60.    Is that the old part of town?    Figure the James had to be close to the center of the old city.    I remember visiting the place where Libby Prison used to sit along the James.

EDIT from wiki (I learned something new today):

Richmond National Cemetery is a United States National Cemetery located three miles (5 km) east of the city of Richmond in Henrico County, Virginia   ...    The cemetery lies within what was once Richmond's wartime fortification lines built when the Confederate army defended Richmond during the American Civil War. The cemetery was established by the United States Congressional legislation in 1866 but the original plot of land was not formally purchased from local resident William Slater until 1867. Additional land purchases in 1868 and 1906 brought the cemetery to its current physical size.

The original burials in the cemetery were re-interments from Oakwood Cemetery and Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond. Those re-interments were primarily of Federal Union soldiers who perished from the effects of wounds while prisoners of war in the Richmond area military hospitals. Federal dead from the prisoner of war cemetery at Belle Island Prison Camp in the James River were also re-interred here. Some of the dead intended for the Seven Pines National Cemetery and Cold Harbor National Cemetery were transferred to Richmond when those smaller burial grounds quickly reached their initial capacities from post-war burials and reburials of the dead from the battle of Seven Pines (also known as Fair Oaks) and the battle of Cold Harbor. Also transferred to Richmond are the remains of hospitalized Union prisoners of war who had died between July 1861 and June 1863 who had originally been interred just outside the east cemetery wall of Shockoe Hill Cemetery in Richmond. Military veterans from later eras are also buried here.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #477: December 16, 2017, 05:29:30 PM »
Didn't realize Richmond National was way out on the east end.     Hmmmm, right on old Route 60.    Is that the old part of town?    Figure the James had to be close to the center of the old city.    I remember visiting the place where Libby Prison used to sit along the James.

EDIT from wiki (I learned something new today):

Richmond National Cemetery is a United States National Cemetery located three miles (5 km) east of the city of Richmond in Henrico County, Virginia   ...    The cemetery lies within what was once Richmond's wartime fortification lines built when the Confederate army defended Richmond during the American Civil War. The cemetery was established by the United States Congressional legislation in 1866 but the original plot of land was not formally purchased from local resident William Slater until 1867. Additional land purchases in 1868 and 1906 brought the cemetery to its current physical size.

The original burials in the cemetery were re-interments from Oakwood Cemetery and Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond. Those re-interments were primarily of Federal Union soldiers who perished from the effects of wounds while prisoners of war in the Richmond area military hospitals. Federal dead from the prisoner of war cemetery at Belle Island Prison Camp in the James River were also re-interred here. Some of the dead intended for the Seven Pines National Cemetery and Cold Harbor National Cemetery were transferred to Richmond when those smaller burial grounds quickly reached their initial capacities from post-war burials and reburials of the dead from the battle of Seven Pines (also known as Fair Oaks) and the battle of Cold Harbor. Also transferred to Richmond are the remains of hospitalized Union prisoners of war who had died between July 1861 and June 1863 who had originally been interred just outside the east cemetery wall of Shockoe Hill Cemetery in Richmond. Military veterans from later eras are also buried here.

Good job...  :thumbs:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #478: January 17, 2018, 01:28:08 PM »
Old motorcycle buddy wants to go to ANC on Sunday to pick up wreaths.    I told him I'll go if he buys.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #479: January 20, 2018, 06:05:59 PM »
Went to ANC today to pick up wreaths.    It saddened me that we had to go through security check points to enter the cemetery.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #480: January 20, 2018, 06:09:24 PM »
Doesn't seem right. Good on you, though.
Went to ANC today to pick up wreaths.    It saddened me that we had to go through security check points to enter the cemetery.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #481: February 12, 2018, 05:43:04 PM »

God Bless Mike Rowe...and God bless men, and women, like Jason...

https://www.facebook.com/ReturningTheFavor/videos/1942086476062613/

Offline mitlen

« Reply #482: February 12, 2018, 06:15:26 PM »

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #483: February 12, 2018, 07:24:33 PM »
Thanks for puttin' it up VaRK.   

https://www.combatbikesaver.org/

I mean...I don't even know what more to say about this cat...he's got a history that took him here...but he didn't have to go.  A special kind of person...

This new program that Rowe does has showcased a lot of special people...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #484: February 12, 2018, 07:30:02 PM »
I mean...I don't even know what more to say about this cat...he's got a history that took him here...but he didn't have to go.  A special kind of person...

This new program that Rowe does has showcased a lot of special people...

I've had Rowe's site bookmarked for awhile.    I don't to the Facebook thing.

http://mikerowe.com/

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #485: February 12, 2018, 07:54:07 PM »
I've had Rowe's site bookmarked for awhile.    I don't to the Facebook thing.

http://mikerowe.com/

I don't think you need to subscribe to see them.  Maybe, though...

Here's another great one...

https://www.facebook.com/ReturningTheFavor/videos/1955900624681198/

Offline mitlen

« Reply #486: February 12, 2018, 08:00:48 PM »
I don't think you need to subscribe to see them.  Maybe, though...

Here's another great one...

https://www.facebook.com/ReturningTheFavor/videos/1955900624681198/

That's what surprised me when I viewed your original attachment.    I could view it without logging in.    IMHO Facebook wants too much info for me to subscribe full time.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #487: March 09, 2018, 02:51:05 PM »

Pretty cool video...seems very "Canadian."

The Canadian Armed Forces created this wonderful video for International Women's Day recognizing the many strong, brave women who serve our country.

https://www.facebook.com/CanadianForces/videos/2233873046839885/

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #488: April 03, 2018, 09:56:26 AM »

Offline mitlen

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #491: May 25, 2018, 08:21:06 AM »
Gonna meet up with some old guys today and ride a bit.    Pitchin' "party" tents near by for the weekend festivities.    Probably truck down to Rolling Thunder.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #492: May 25, 2018, 07:06:13 PM »
Gonna meet up with some old guys today and ride a bit.    Pitchin' "party" tents near by for the weekend festivities.    Probably truck down to Rolling Thunder.

Looks like the rain will make me a pass again this year.  Not sure I could wrestle the bike in good weather with my shoulder, much less in rain...

Enjoy...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #493: May 25, 2018, 07:10:17 PM »
Looks like the rain will make me a pass again this year.  Not sure I could wrestle the bike in good weather with my shoulder, much less in rain...

Enjoy...

Look for me on TV.    I'll be the old white guy.    :)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #494: May 25, 2018, 07:12:44 PM »
Look for me on TV.    I'll be the old white guy.    :)

I've no doubt I'll see you then...  ;)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #495: May 25, 2018, 07:17:48 PM »
I've no doubt I'll see you then...  ;)

This is when truckin' down to the marina pays off.    I hope the rain doesn't start during the festivities.   

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #496: May 25, 2018, 07:22:07 PM »
The GW was filled with Harley’s this afternoon, saw one guy in the middle of a pack riding a Ducati

Offline mitlen

« Reply #497: May 25, 2018, 07:23:53 PM »
The GW was filled with Harley’s this afternoon, saw one guy in the middle of a pack riding a Ducati

Even a few Vespa's at the Pentagon over the years.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #498: May 25, 2018, 08:57:41 PM »
We're driving to Camp Hill and Reading tomorrow. Expect to see a lot of southbound traffic.

Even a few Vespa's at the Pentagon over the years.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #499: May 25, 2018, 09:01:44 PM »
Good luck to all going / participating. I’ll be at a local cemetery tomorrow placing flags on veteran grave sites in the morning.