Author Topic: 2014 MLB Draft  (Read 35395 times)

Offline Salamander Man

Re: 2014 MLB Draft
« Reply #200: June 05, 2014, 11:45:34 PM »
Souza made it.  Norris essentially would have but was spun the As.  Off the top of my head.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #201: June 05, 2014, 11:47:02 PM »
Souza made it? I was unaware that he was a regular starter.

Offline madj55

« Reply #202: June 05, 2014, 11:52:44 PM »
I like the Fedde pick. The Suarez pick I'm "meh" on. Was hoping we'd gamble on a high potential bat.

Offline Salamander Man

« Reply #203: June 06, 2014, 12:02:08 AM »
So now you criteria is not making it,but being regular starter?   Guess Desmond doesn't count since he was technically picked by Expos.

Peacock made Nats roster. Others have been traded for pieces. (Norris, Ray). others are good looking prospects. 

Being that most high schoolers take at least 4-5 years to make it and "Nats" first draft was 2005, you are really only going by the drafts between 05 and 08. 

Hood-has chance
Hicks
Nieto (has made majors)
Smoker
Burgess
Souza (has made it)
Norris (MLB starter)
The black hole draft of 06 pre rizzo

09 was all college guys early
10 has a good prospect in Cole.  Harper was essentially a high school guy but doesn't technically count
11 was all college guys

Too early to tell in guys drafted 12 or later

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #204: June 06, 2014, 12:07:50 AM »
I hope Fedde is a Rizzo guy, otherwise he's doomed to be among Goodwin, Moore, Souza, etc. where you show talent but never get consistent at-bats and a chance to prove yourself. :stir:

Offline RD

« Reply #205: June 06, 2014, 12:13:35 AM »
This pick is due to the salary limit on draft picks probably. Get a guy that has jumped recently that is singable.  Allows team to "pay over slot" later on

Perhaps, but any savings will be minimal. He was rated as a second/third rounder by most, which is right where he landed. So I wouldn't expect much savings.

I wouldn't be worried about labrum surgery with Suarez, considering hes already back and 2 years removed. Hes back up to reaching 95 from the left side. Thats pretty solid. Not enthralled with the pick but not a bad one either. A surplus of pitching can allow you to make some moves to add to the big league club. Were deep with righties but not much in the form of lefties.He probably doesnt take long to reach the bigs but is more of a back end of the rotation guy.

Hopefully we land some HS bats tomorrow. Need some talent at the bottom of the organization.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #206: June 06, 2014, 12:16:07 AM »
Apparently Suarez's velocity jumped from high 80s to 93-95 this season. He was very highly regarded coming out of HS and then the bad injury now looks like his stock is shooting back up. Not a bad pick but feels like someone we could have gotten in the 3rd or 4th round.

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #207: June 06, 2014, 12:39:52 AM »
Apparently Suarez's velocity jumped from high 80s to 93-95 this season. He was very highly regarded coming out of HS and then the bad injury now looks like his stock is shooting back up. Not a bad pick but feels like someone we could have gotten in the 3rd or 4th round.

Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus had him ranked in the 70s, so if the Nats really wanted him, they probably saw a chance he would be off the board at 93. This pick doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #208: June 06, 2014, 01:37:23 AM »
Bukauskas would be great if you can get him away from his UNC commitment.  Which will be very tough.
Maybe they can work out a deal where he pitches in the minors during the summer like they did for Jack McGreary.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #209: June 06, 2014, 09:11:31 AM »
This pick is due to the salary limit on draft picks probably. Get a guy that has jumped recently that is singable.  Allows team to "pay over slot" later on

They were talking about this study on BP the other day

http://triceratops.brynmawr.edu/dspace/handle/10066/8212
from the abstract:

The results suggest that holding constant round & placement in round, elevated draft pick compensation significantly influences the likelihood of making the Major Leagues, and to a much lesser extent, player productivity once there. A supplementary analysis reveals that while teams are somewhat successful in their attempts to project future productivity, they are not necessarily efficient in their allocation of signing bonus expenditures.

the part that I found most interesting

For instance, holding constant the exact round and pick a player is
selected in(with), a one s.d. increase in signing bonus results in a 9.6% increased likelihood of
reaching the Major League level. However, the effect of signing bonus on future WAR was of a
much smaller magnitude; a one s.d. increase in signing bonus is associated with a 0.75 increase
in Cumulative WAR.
I don't know if they were referring to an updated version, but this was the one I found. It would be interesting to see how this plays out now that there are defined bonus pools

Offline madj55

« Reply #210: June 06, 2014, 09:26:40 AM »
Maybe they can work out a deal where he pitches in the minors during the summer like they did for Jack McGreary.
Pretty sure I saw that one of the Indians draft picks has already signed and in the deal they're paying for 8 semesters of education at Vanderbilt.

Offline RD

« Reply #211: June 06, 2014, 09:52:20 AM »

I only know that Bukauskas sent out a letter telling teams to not draft him (but also read some question how strong it is) but I doubt he is interested in a McGary deal. North Carolina isnt Stanford. Hes going to there to play ball, live the college life, and become a first rounder. UNC isnt Stanford, from an academic standpoint.

Id love to try and get a deal done with him as well. But at this point you better be sure you can get the deal done.

Offline RD

« Reply #212: June 06, 2014, 09:53:59 AM »
Pretty sure I saw that one of the Indians draft picks has already signed and in the deal they're paying for 8 semesters of education at Vanderbilt.

I didnt hear that, but my guess would be that that involves school after his playing days or in the off season. I doubt its a M cGeary type deal. The M cGeary deal was unique and didnt pan out well. I dont see many going that route again.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #213: June 06, 2014, 09:55:02 AM »
What time does the draft start up again today? Slow day at work for me - need something to pass the time.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #214: June 06, 2014, 09:59:01 AM »
12:30 pre-draft, 1 pm draft begins again. MLB.com

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #215: June 06, 2014, 09:59:14 AM »
UNC isnt Stanford, from an academic standpoint.

it's not like he's going to LSU, UNC is still a pretty well respected school

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #216: June 06, 2014, 10:00:31 AM »
12:30 pre-draft, 1 pm draft begins again. MLB.com

Gracias.

Offline blue911

« Reply #217: June 06, 2014, 10:05:59 AM »
I only know that Bukauskas sent out a letter telling teams to not draft him (but also read some question how strong it is) but I doubt he is interested in a McGary deal. North Carolina isnt Stanford. Hes going to there to play ball, live the college life, and become a first rounder. UNC isnt Stanford, from an academic standpoint.

Id love to try and get a deal done with him as well. But at this point you better be sure you can get the deal done.

Being shut down doesn't help

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/baseball-stone-bridge-ace-jb-bukauskas-will-not-pitch-for-the-rest-of-the-season/2014/06/03/9652ee20-eb82-11e3-93d2-edd4be1f5d9e_story.html

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #218: June 06, 2014, 10:28:15 AM »
I didnt hear that, but my guess would be that that involves school after his playing days or in the off season. I doubt its a M cGeary type deal. The M cGeary deal was unique and didnt pan out well. I dont see many going that route again.
It'll be a case by case basis, I'm sure. The reality is that the vast majority of picks never get to the big leagues. If the kid's talented enough, I don't see something like paying for his school, if he was adamant about getting his education, would stand in anybody's way.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #219: June 06, 2014, 10:52:58 AM »
Will someone please post Suarez's first name??

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #220: June 06, 2014, 10:57:18 AM »
Will someone please post Suarez's first name??
Andrew

Offline RD

« Reply #221: June 06, 2014, 11:13:50 AM »
it's not like he's going to LSU, UNC is still a pretty well respected school

I honestly dont know UNC's true academic standing but I know they've been hit the last few years with quite a few academic issues from fake classes to athletes having their work done for them. Maybe it is a good school for people thst actually want a degree, but I dont think it would be a school you pass on a mill just to go to school there. Phil Bickford, last years #10 pick was a fool for turning down millions to attend Cal St Fullerton.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #223: June 06, 2014, 11:22:20 AM »
I honestly dont know UNC's true academic standing but I know they've been hit the last few years with quite a few academic issues from fake classes to athletes having their work done for them. Maybe it is a good school for people thst actually want a degree, but I dont think it would be a school you pass on a mill just to go to school there. Phil Bickford, last years #10 pick was a fool for turning down millions to attend Cal St Fullerton.

UNC belongs in the class with UVA, Michigan, Berkley, MIT... as a premiere public university, certainly not cal state. If he's going for the degree, it's probably a mistake to turn down $1 million whether it's Harvard or Montgomery College, but UNC certainly is a good school 

Offline RD

« Reply #224: June 06, 2014, 11:48:15 AM »
UNC belongs in the class with UVA, Michigan, Berkley, MIT... as a premiere public university, certainly not cal state. If he's going for the degree, it's probably a mistake to turn down $1 million whether it's Harvard or Montgomery College, but UNC certainly is a good school

I didn't mean to compare UNC and Fullerton, jist an example of imo a kid making a clear mistake going to school instead of signing.

I admitted I dont know UNC's academic standing overall, just that there is ongoing academic scandals going on involving theschool. That would concern me as a parent. Not that I would demand my kid go elsewhere but it would be a concern, and if there is the opportunity for life changing money, its a mistake imo. I do think Stanford, Harvard etc shows a different level of priority and can understand going to those types of schools. I dont believe North Carolina belongs in THAT class of University, so I think he should sign. Especially as a pitcher, especially a smaller one. The Matt Harrington and Karsten Whitson cases being the main reason why. I know Bukauskas isnt looking at money quite that high but still. Props to any kid opting for school but I think the smart decision to get the cash if its a large amount. You can go to school later. That money and opportunity to play pro ball may not always be there.