Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Wilmer Difo, SS  (Read 12181 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Follow the Prospects: Wilmer Difo, SS
« Reply #75: June 10, 2015, 02:59:20 PM »
the fact that they dropped him to aa instead of aaa (where SS and 2b being played by non-prospects) makes me wonder about how the organization views him

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #76: June 10, 2015, 03:14:53 PM »
the fact that they dropped him to aa instead of aaa (where SS and 2b being played by non-prospects) makes me wonder about how the organization views him

Just that they called him up makes me think that they saw him as the best option in the minors. I would be more surprised if they hadn't sent him back to AA. He'd only spent 15 games there prior to being called up, and AA is generally considered to be the proving ground for prospects. The Nats aren't afraid of calling prospects up directly from AA. On the other hand, AAA is more like a combination finishing school for prospectsl/storage unit for AAAA MLB backups.

Offline whytev

« Reply #77: June 10, 2015, 06:06:03 PM »
Definitely some decisions to be made. Difo and Turner may not need another year and a half of development in the minors. If either can outperform Espinosa or Escobar, they will play imo. If Espinosa can continue to play well, he might be a trade candidate on the off season.

It's possible we hand the job to Espinosa and Escobar but I doubt both are starting next year. I think we'll try to get one of the kids in the lineup somehow.

I get why we all have hards-on for Turner, but Espinosa and Escobar have both been great this year. Let's not rush anyone.

Injuries will be a chance to get a look at some point next year.

Online RD

« Reply #78: June 10, 2015, 06:27:10 PM »
I get why we all have hards-on for Turner, but Espinosa and Escobar have both been great this year. Let's not rush anyone.

Injuries will be a chance to get a look at some point next year.

They also have a longer history of being mediocre. Let's not jump to conclusions based on 1/3 of the season.

It's a good spot to be in. Two kids with solid potential (one with very, very good upside) that should be pretty damn close to ready come Spring of 16 and two veterans. At least, we have guys that can be stop gaps for a month or two if need be, if service time is an issue. I don't think we'll want to hand both middle infield spots to rookies but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if both earn it.

A lot will be determined in the off season and in spring training.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #79: June 10, 2015, 07:40:26 PM »
They also have a longer history of being mediocre. Let's not jump to conclusions based on 1/3 of the season.

Oh of course not. Let's not jump to conclusions. Let's stick to facts, like the fact that MI who hit in AA always work out at the major league level.

Turner + Difo = World Series!

Online RD

« Reply #80: June 10, 2015, 11:21:30 PM »
Oh of course not. Let's not jump to conclusions. Let's stick to facts, like the fact that MI who hit in AA always work out at the major league level.

Turner + Difo = World Series!

I don't think I have ever said to give them a job. In fact on many occasions I have brought up that I don't think it's a good idea to have both take over at the same time.

But, you also do not discount what they are doing in the minors. Both are putting together recent seasons that look like they could be solid at least options for quite some time. You don't just write them off in 2016 because you have two veterans with a longer history of mediocrity in the bigs.

If Espinosa and Escobar finish the year as well as they have begun and are both around, they absolutely deserve first shot at the spots. But if Turner or Difo step up in the spring, they also deserve the job. Whoever performs, gets the spots.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #81: June 11, 2015, 06:56:45 AM »
I don't think I have ever said to give them a job. In fact on many occasions I have brought up that I don't think it's a good idea to have both take over at the same time.

But, you also do not discount what they are doing in the minors. Both are putting together recent seasons that look like they could be solid at least options for quite some time. You don't just write them off in 2016 because you have two veterans with a longer history of mediocrity in the bigs.

If Espinosa and Escobar finish the year as well as they have begun and are both around, they absolutely deserve first shot at the spots. But if Turner or Difo step up in the spring, they also deserve the job. Whoever performs, gets the spots.
Unless you're name is "Ian Desmond"

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #82: June 11, 2015, 08:36:51 PM »
Difo 1 AB today and then got pinch hit for. What's up I wonder?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #83: June 11, 2015, 10:05:31 PM »
Difo 1 AB today and then got pinch hit for. What's up I wonder?
Zimmerman was put on the DL today. Maybe something to do with that?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #84: June 11, 2015, 10:09:49 PM »
Zimmerman was put on the DL today. Maybe something to do with that?
Maybe Desmond is being traded.  :minigunz:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #85: June 15, 2015, 01:22:12 AM »
Desmond looks injured (in the psyche). Give him time at AA, just like Espinosa had. Danny is behaving more like a professional hitter. Maybe it scared him, Desmond has no future with the Nats. Let him fix his problems at Syracuse.

Difo to SS.

Offline whytev

« Reply #86: June 15, 2015, 01:44:58 AM »
Desmond looks injured (in the psyche). Give him time at AA, just like Espinosa had. Danny is behaving more like a professional hitter. Maybe it scared him, Desmond has no future with the Nats. Let him fix his problems at Syracuse.

Difo to SS.

Espinosa to SS.