Author Topic: Nationals vs Cardinals, Game 3  (Read 17034 times)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Nationals vs Cardinals, Game 3
« Reply #325: April 19, 2014, 04:57:55 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

There's one way to play the game...always has been.  Dog it and GTFO...

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #326: April 19, 2014, 05:39:53 PM »
Agree completely

I don't get why people are quitting on the Nats season. I don't give a crap if they are bad, mediocre or awesome. I'm not giving up on the season or will stop watching because they aren't setting the league on fire. It's the first month of the season and people are saying they can't wait until football. Someone else told me that crap the other day less than one month into the season! Too many whiny wusses who can only watch and enjoy when things are going well.  :hang:

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #327: April 19, 2014, 05:43:33 PM »
I hear ya Skippy, but Harper needed a kick in the butt after that play where he didn't even run out the AB.  I don't think this was a Macho Move by Williams.

I don't understand, you think benching Harper was the right call? Seems petty and like a "little big man" move to me

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #328: April 19, 2014, 05:47:19 PM »
It was BH who said he was moving on to football

I'm not sure there are many rational people giving up on 2014 yet.  Wasn't one of them BH?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #329: April 19, 2014, 05:49:54 PM »
They had a deal...not to mention the 100+ years of tradition that Bryce has routinely dissed.  I'd have pulled him as well...probably before this.

Because a guy in the Mitchell report should be a Guardian of tradition

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #330: April 19, 2014, 05:55:02 PM »
Because a guy in the Mitchell report should be a Guardian of tradition

I didn't say he was a Saint...said he is right in this instance.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #331: April 19, 2014, 05:55:51 PM »
What a nightmare of a season.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #332: April 19, 2014, 05:56:16 PM »
That's fine but Williams should be the last person to have any high ground when it comes to tradition. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #333: April 19, 2014, 05:56:16 PM »
There's one way to play the game...always has been.  Dog it and GTFO...

then zimmerman, laroche, werth should all GTFO

Offline mach1ne

« Reply #334: April 19, 2014, 06:10:51 PM »
then zimmerman, laroche, werth should all GTFO

Is it possible to tell if LaRoche is going full speed or not? He's slow either way.

Offline madj55

« Reply #335: April 19, 2014, 06:45:29 PM »
Defense killed us again today. Strasburg needs to mow em down tomorrow.

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #336: April 19, 2014, 06:47:31 PM »
I dont so much have a problem with the benching as with Williams feeling the need to publicly humiliate him in the media. Calling him out to the press was not necessary. The issue should have been a private one between the manager and the player. Bryce has one of the worst reputations in the sport and this does not help. People here had a fit last season when Soriano threw Bryce under the bus in the press but its ok for the manager to do it? If your own team doesnt have your back..(and your own manager) then who will. Punish players for poor play if you feel its deserved but dont throw even more negative press at the team and specifically Harper. It was unprofessional and Williams own reputation and past makes benching someone for not respecting the game seem hypocritical. How respectful of the game was he when he doped up? We dont need crap like this to make the Nats seem like a joke. They have been doing a good enough job of that on their own. How many people casually watching at home probably even noticed Bryce "Loafing" until it was called out and turned into a spectical.

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #337: April 19, 2014, 07:13:48 PM »
No one will care that Harper got benched in this one game if he fixes his behavior, plays hard the rest of his career and leads the team where it has the talent to go.

Would it really be better if the truth of the benching never got to the media? Those of us with eyes can tell he's not playing as hard as he did his rookie year. The question is why and how to fix it.

Coddling, like what surely happened after the gently loping glide that turned a double into a triple on 4/9 didn't work. Harper hit a big home run that game. Even if he didn't think it explicity the implication was that his lack of hustle will be excused because he swings a big bat. Let's see how he responds.

Offline OldNatsFan

« Reply #338: April 19, 2014, 07:54:01 PM »
I dont so much have a problem with the benching as with Williams feeling the need to publicly humiliate him in the media. Calling him out to the press was not necessary. The issue should have been a private one between the manager and the player. Bryce has one of the worst reputations in the sport and this does not help. People here had a fit last season when Soriano threw Bryce under the bus in the press but its ok for the manager to do it? If your own team doesnt have your back..(and your own manager) then who will. Punish players for poor play if you feel its deserved but dont throw even more negative press at the team and specifically Harper. It was unprofessional and Williams own reputation and past makes benching someone for not respecting the game seem hypocritical. How respectful of the game was he when he doped up? We dont need crap like this to make the Nats seem like a joke. They have been doing a good enough job of that on their own. How many people casually watching at home probably even noticed Bryce "Loafing" until it was called out and turned into a spectical.
I noticed it when he didn't run to first and wondered if the manager would pull him and glad that he did.  He used to always hustle but this year has been different. Must be watching too much of Big Papi.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #339: April 19, 2014, 08:27:36 PM »
I noticed it when he didn't run to first and wondered if the manager would pull him and glad that he did.  He used to always hustle but this year has been different. Must be watching too much of Big Papi.
How about the pitcher had the ball in his freaking hand? My goodness y'all are making it seen like Bryce would've had a shot-he didn't!!!! And benching him for THIS particular "lack of effort" was DUMB!!!

« Reply #340: April 19, 2014, 08:33:34 PM »
How about the pitcher had the ball in his freaking hand? My goodness y'all are making it seen like Bryce would've had a shot-he didn't!!!! And benching him for THIS particular "lack of effort" was DUMB!!!

No one is saying he would have had a shot.

But maybe, just maybe 19 year old Bryce would have made the pitcher think twice and indirectly cause an error.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqh1io_harper-1st-at-bat_sport

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #341: April 19, 2014, 08:36:47 PM »

But maybe, just maybe 19 year old Bryce would have made the pitcher think twice and indirectly cause an error.

That is showing respect for yourself, your team, and the game...

« Reply #342: April 19, 2014, 08:49:51 PM »
That is showing respect for yourself, your team, and the game...

I miss 2012 Bryce. I think playing through pain in 2013 taught him bad habits.

:( Gone forever?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #343: April 19, 2014, 09:13:54 PM »

Anyone who thinks running out that grounder made it close is a moron.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #344: April 19, 2014, 09:18:23 PM »
Anyone who thinks running out that grounder made it close is a moron.

That's not the point...

Offline 26winfield26

« Reply #345: April 19, 2014, 10:20:08 PM »
hey guys...I'm new here..just wanted to say I am more concerned about r offense again than I am Harper running out a grounder at this point...Desmond cant hit at all, Werth is struggling, Harper is struggling, McLouth SUCKS,  and Laroche is Laroche. Why aren't we letting guys like Walters...Souza, and Fransden get some at bats??

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #346: April 19, 2014, 10:23:32 PM »
hey guys...I'm new here..just wanted to say I am more concerned about r offense again than I am Harper running out a grounder at this point...Desmond cant hit at all, Werth is struggling, Harper is struggling, McLouth SUCKS,  and Laroche is Laroche. Why aren't we letting guys like Walters...Souza, and Fransden get some at bats??

nats are 3rd in the NL in OPS, 3rd in runs

Offline 26winfield26

« Reply #347: April 19, 2014, 10:26:10 PM »
I have been a Expos/Nats fan for 30 years...diehard at that. This team is like the movie groundhog day...we just keep repeating the same season over and over. When will management bring in real MLB hitters?? I know that is harsh but look how good r pitching staff has been the last 2 to 3 years and how horrible r run support has been...night and day...if guys aren't hitting it's time to sub guys in...I don't care about names I care about production!

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #348: April 19, 2014, 10:33:56 PM »
I have been a Expos/Nats fan for 30 years...diehard at that. This team is like the movie groundhog day...we just keep repeating the same season over and over. When will management bring in real MLB hitters?? I know that is harsh but look how good r pitching staff has been the last 2 to 3 years and how horrible r run support has been...night and day...if guys aren't hitting it's time to sub guys in...I don't care about names I care about production!
nats are 3rd in the NL in OPS, 3rd in runs

Offline 26winfield26

« Reply #349: April 19, 2014, 10:47:33 PM »
sorry guys...i cant figure out how to post or quote things and my wife is making fun of me and telling the wrong things...I'm not very good with computers...take any help u guys will give me...