Author Topic: Nationals @ Braves, Game 1  (Read 26452 times)

Offline jhuterp

Re: Nationals @ Braves, Game 1
« Reply #1000: April 12, 2014, 12:12:42 AM »
Okay, done venting, now doing deep breathing exercises......Time to kick some barve ass tomorrow (actually later today).....

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #1001: April 12, 2014, 12:13:11 AM »
Okay, done venting, now doing deep breathing exercises......Time to kick some barve ass tomorrow (actually later today).....

:clap:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #1002: April 12, 2014, 12:35:37 AM »
It happened in both LA and Atlanta.

We're still in first place but if those fumes the braves are allegedly running on keep fueling them they're bound to suffocate the Nats.

The barves are hitting under 200 as a team and 3 everyday regulars are batting under the mendoza line (LOL)

Any team with the impossibly awful Dan Uggla as an every day regular is going to suck

They have more strikeouts than Al Bundy at a bowling convention

Their pitching has a big ass soft under belly

Nats had FOURTEEN hits

The braves are smoke and mirrors

freak them

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #1003: April 12, 2014, 12:40:15 AM »
We can say what we want and back the Nats all day long.  But until they figure out how to beat the braves, they own the Nats.  Pure and simple.  The Nats were hotter coming into this series, they outhit the braves and still couldn't get it done.

Big brother, little brother stuff and sadly right now the Nats are little brother.  Hopefully tomorrow they come out and start to right the ship, but there has not been any sign they are ready to do that to date.  I really hope Jordan catches lightning in a bottle and throws a dominant game tomorrow.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #1004: April 12, 2014, 12:45:45 AM »
We can say what we want and back the Nats all day long.  But until they figure out how to beat the braves, they own the Nats.  Pure and simple.  The Nats were hotter coming into this series, they outhit the braves and still couldn't get it done.

Big brother, little brother stuff and sadly right now the Nats are little brother.  Hopefully tomorrow they come out and start to right the ship, but there has not been any sign they are ready to do that to date.  I really hope Jordan catches lightning in a bottle and throws a dominant game tomorrow.

Braves have so many gaping holes they will be exposed sooner or later - that's how baseball works.  They did just lose a series to the impossibly awful Mets after all

freak Atlanta = let them bask in whatever luck and mystique they think they still have, their days are numbered

« Reply #1005: April 12, 2014, 02:52:19 AM »
This is the same .500 baseball team just like last year.  :mg:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1006: April 12, 2014, 07:56:03 AM »
:doh: I thought you quoted LO's post and made the beard/moustache comment.

I made the comment but I'd have to look up the LO part.    Sitting here the next day wishing Williams would have pinch hit for Roark with the bases loaded in the 4th (as someone mentioned).    I understand not wanting to burn pitchers and such but Roark was sucking wind and we need every run we can get against the barves.     There's a history here Matt.

Offline blue911

« Reply #1007: April 12, 2014, 08:25:08 AM »
I made the comment but I'd have to look up the LO part.    Sitting here the next day wishing Williams would have pinch hit for Roark with the bases loaded in the 4th (as someone mentioned).    I understand not wanting to burn pitchers and such but Roark was sucking wind and we need every run we can get against the barves.     There's a history here Matt.

Nah, can't do that to the bullpen twice in three days when it's a two out at bat. It's hard to say that a successful at bat would have changed much since Frandsen and McLouth were instrumental in later scoring. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1008: April 12, 2014, 08:44:40 AM »
Nah, can't do that to the bullpen twice in three days when it's a two out at bat. It's hard to say that a successful at bat would have changed much since Frandsen and McLouth were instrumental in later scoring. 

Sure I can.    :)    Since we're "speculating"   ....   if Roark had been lifted for a pinch hitter (McLouth or Frandsen perhaps) and we would have tacked on 3 or 4 runs, the bullpen may not have been such a big factor.     Det could have come in a little earlier.    Etc., etc., etc. (sounds like the King of Siam).    I guess what I'm saying is we need as many runs as we can get whenever the opportunity arises.    We can't diddle around with "later in the game" scenarios.   If Roark is dealing, it's not a problem.    Let him bat.      Deal with the other sutff when it gets here and then we can rip Williams about that if necessary.    :)

Offline blue911

« Reply #1009: April 12, 2014, 09:02:22 AM »
Sure I can.    :)    Since we're "speculating"   ....   if Roark had been lifted for a pinch hitter (McLouth or Frandsen perhaps) and we would have tacked on 3 or 4 runs, the bullpen may not have been such a big factor.     Det could have come in a little earlier.    Etc., etc., etc. (sounds like the King of Siam).    I guess what I'm saying is we need as many runs as we can get whenever the opportunity arises.    We can't diddle around with "later in the game" scenarios.   If Roark is dealing, it's not a problem.    Let him bat.      Deal with the other sutff when it gets here and then we can rip Williams about that if necessary.    :)

:hysterical:

None of this really matters if Clippard does his job. We'd be spending a beautiful Saturday morning nagging about Soriano.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #1010: April 12, 2014, 10:29:30 AM »
Any team with the impossibly awful Dan Uggla as an every day regular is going to suck

We should know all about that having had Espinosa as a regular for a large chunk of last year.

Nats had FOURTEEN hits

It's too bad the winner is measured by the most runs scored.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1011: April 12, 2014, 10:53:05 AM »
Preparing another Game Day Thread on less than 5 days rest is dangerous... could lead to 2006 level of losses...
I warned you. LOSS.

We have hundreds of members here.  If your name is one of the last 4 GDT preparers, just let someone else prepare the GDT.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #1012: April 12, 2014, 12:13:19 PM »
deja vu :lmao:

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1013: April 12, 2014, 12:56:34 PM »
...several times last night my hand began to grope toward the on-off switch on my bed-side radio...that chant from 28,000 drooling inbred Ted-n-Jane-loving idiots can get really old, really fast....

Offline jhuterp

« Reply #1014: April 12, 2014, 01:15:07 PM »
The Nats just need to win against these chumps.  The barves are not an elite team.  Seriously, why can't the Nats beat them when the mets can?  Baseball is a game where things usually even out over 162 games for evenly matched teams.  The Nats are a better team than the barves; it's time for this BS to stop.  At this point it defies all logic, laws of probability, and common decency. 

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #1015: April 12, 2014, 01:22:21 PM »
Baseball, like all sports, is a game of matchups. Hitters fare better against certain pitchers. I bet that's part of why the rotation adjustment was made. Throw Roark in there and see if the Braves can hit him.

Strasburg and Clippard are the poster childs of this. The Braves crush them for whatever reason, and it's not for nothing.

The Nats are faring better with the bats this year, so things may yet turn around. Simmons being injured should help with that. How long is he out?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1016: April 12, 2014, 01:26:34 PM »

Offline jhuterp

« Reply #1017: April 12, 2014, 01:35:31 PM »
Baseball, like all sports, is a game of matchups. Hitters fare better against certain pitchers. I bet that's part of why the rotation adjustment was made. Throw Roark in there and see if the Braves can hit him.

Strasburg and Clippard are the poster childs of this. The Braves crush them for whatever reason, and it's not for nothing.

The Nats are faring better with the bats this year, so things may yet turn around. Simmons being injured should help with that. How long is he out?

I think your point about baseball being a game of matchup is valid, I'm not sure the match ups have changed much since early 2012 when the Nats had their way with these guys.  McCann leaving is actually one change in the Nats favor.  I'm also not sure match ups caused the Nats 10 runners LOB last night, errors and base running mistakes, all of which greatly helped the barves in their three wins over the Nats this year.

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #1018: April 12, 2014, 01:37:10 PM »
Oh. Well I wouldn't expect 14 hits again, not that we ever should. Keep hitting them at Uggla and over the fence.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #1019: April 12, 2014, 01:37:36 PM »
...Simmons being injured should help with that. How long is he out?

That's what I thought, too. Until his replacement hit a 3-run home run.

Offline ElOsoBlanco

« Reply #1020: April 12, 2014, 01:42:39 PM »
Oh. Well I wouldn't expect 14 hits again, not that we ever should. Keep hitting them at Uggla and over the fence.

Keep hitting it to Uggla and you'll win by at least 10 every time. I hate that guy so much. With arms like his, normally I wouldn't say such a thing to his face. But since he can't hit anything either, I wouldn't be concerned.