Author Topic: Nationals @ Braves, Game 1  (Read 26559 times)

Offline PC

Re: Nationals @ Braves, Game 1
« Reply #950: April 11, 2014, 11:39:01 PM »
Well, to be fair, we win if Roark doesn't crap the bed.

Perhaps Roark doesn't crap the bed if he had pitched more recently than 8 days ago.  Again, it's on Williams.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #951: April 11, 2014, 11:39:06 PM »
Screw moral victories. This isn't Little League.

:clap:  sanity

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #952: April 11, 2014, 11:39:29 PM »
Last year we started 7-2. Then we played Atlanta and got swept. It was all downhill from there...
Yep. We need to make a freaking stand and win the series. Had a golden opportunity to get it kicked off right tonight and they gagged it up.

I think it's almost becoming a mental thing with this team. They just can't handle the pressure of playing vs the Braves. Clippard clearly cannot get the job done vs them.

Offline mach1ne

« Reply #953: April 11, 2014, 11:39:34 PM »
I thought it was a great game. Didn't go our way but competitive all the way. Didn't quit, came back and took the lead. Tyler not cutting it so far this season. Too bad. The team showed heart. Let's play again tomorrow!

Another take away is two pinch hits from Frandsen and McClouth.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #954: April 11, 2014, 11:39:43 PM »
It's a serious problem. Sweeping Florida and New York and losing game after game to Atlanta is exactly what we did last year. 2013 all over again.

This team is nothing until they start beating real teams like Atlanta.

And the Barves aren't a great team - they have the lowest (or maybe second lowest) total runs scored in MLB. They just lost 2 of 3 to the doorMets, and Kimbrel almost blew it (allowed 3 runs with a 4-run lead) in the one game they did salvage. I don't know what the Nats' problem is with this team...

Offline stealyerbase

• YUMMY! Good for you too!
« Reply #955: April 11, 2014, 11:40:13 PM »
Screw moral victories. This isn't Little League.
I watch baseball (and all pro sports) for entertainment. In the words of Maximus, "Are you not entertained?"

Offline Optics

« Reply #956: April 11, 2014, 11:40:16 PM »
I'm so sick of Clippard. Dude just looks like a puss when he's out there and he takes like four hours to pitch. If you're gonna suck at least do it quick so I ain't wasting half my life watching you gag it up.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #957: April 11, 2014, 11:40:36 PM »
Remains to be seen what we do against philly.
Philly sucks, not worried about them. Nats need to beat Atlanta, LA, St. Louis, Giants, Pirates, etc.

Last year we were god awful vs these teams and in the end it was the reason that we didn't make it.

Offline mach1ne

« Reply #958: April 11, 2014, 11:42:31 PM »
And the Barves aren't a great team - they have the lowest (or maybe second lowest) total runs scored in MLB. They just lost 2 of 3 to the doorMets, and Kimbrel almost blew it (allowed 3 runs with a 4-run lead) in the one game they did salvage. I don't know what the Nats' problem is with this team...

Clippard's blown the game twice.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #959: April 11, 2014, 11:42:35 PM »
I know this is falling on deaf ears, but that's ok. The difference between last year and this year is that the 2014 Nationals are coming back from deficits. In this game last year we went up 4-0, and ended up losing 6-4 in the tenth. They played a good game tonight, it just didn't go their way (again) but this team is playing better than last year.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #960: April 11, 2014, 11:42:38 PM »
Perhaps Roark doesn't crap the bed if he had pitched more recently than 8 days ago.  Again, it's on Williams.

Who would you have scratched? Because as soon as you do that then you are messing with other starter's schedule. The schedule just happened that way. But let me guess, in hindsight you would've moved Zimmermann out since he crap the bed on Wednesday anyway.

Offline stealyerbase

« Reply #961: April 11, 2014, 11:42:39 PM »
Philly sucks, not worried about them. Nats need to beat Atlanta, LA, St. Louis, Giants, Pirates, etc.

Last year we were god awful vs these teams and in the end it was the reason that we didn't make it.
Three teams killed us last year, LA, Atl, and StL. Those are the three teams to beat. We handled the rest.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #962: April 11, 2014, 11:43:27 PM »
That's a good point, the Braves clearly aren't as good as they were last year. We didn't have a problem beating them in 2011 and 2012, in fact I believe we dominated them. What gives? This makes no sense.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #963: April 11, 2014, 11:43:42 PM »
lucky ass braves

enjoy it you giant douchebags

this is as close as you get

« Reply #964: April 11, 2014, 11:43:50 PM »
I watch baseball (and all pro sports) for entertainment. In the words of Maximus, "Are you not entertained?"

I'd rather see the Nats win 14-0 and be bored to death.

Offline jhuterp

« Reply #965: April 11, 2014, 11:44:06 PM »

This is why this was NOT a "great game".  The Nats should not be losing like this to the barves over and over again.  It's not 2008.  IMO the Nats SHOULD be a much better team than the Barves given the talent on each team.  So sick of this......

Offline PC

« Reply #966: April 11, 2014, 11:44:36 PM »
Who would you have scratched? Because as soon as you do that then you are messing with other starter's schedule. The schedule just happened that way. But let me guess, in hindsight you would've moved Zimmermann out since he crap the bed on Wednesday anyway.

No.  You use him out of the bullpen. He's the first option regardless of the situation.  If he's has to pitch the 8th and 9th innings of a game, fine.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #967: April 11, 2014, 11:45:48 PM »
No.  You use him out of the bullpen, regardless of the situation.  If he's has to pitch the 8th and 9th innings of a game, fine.

I thought they said he was going to pitch in relief but the opportunity didn't come up. What if he comes in and craps the bed out of the bullpen? Then you're ripping Williams for the "controversial" move.  :rofl:

Offline Slumpbuster

« Reply #968: April 11, 2014, 11:47:03 PM »
Yep. We need to make a freaking stand and win the series. Had a golden opportunity to get it kicked off right tonight and they gagged it up.

I think it's almost becoming a mental thing with this team. They just can't handle the pressure of playing vs the Braves. Clippard clearly cannot get the job done vs them.

Clippard should be relegated to pitching BP. Those high heat meatballs are sooooo grooved.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #969: April 11, 2014, 11:47:29 PM »

Offline stealyerbase

« Reply #970: April 11, 2014, 11:47:29 PM »
I'd rather see the Nats win 14-0 and be bored to death.
Me too, don't get me wrong. This was a step in the right direction though and kept me on the edge of the couch. Fun to watch. I love this year's team. It's going to be a long, hot summer. No, wait....a COLD summer!
                                                                                                            :old:

Offline PC

« Reply #971: April 11, 2014, 11:47:53 PM »
I thought they said he was going to pitch in relief but the opportunity didn't come up. What if he comes in and craps the bed out of the bullpen? Then you're ripping Williams for the "controversial" move.  :rofl:

Absolutely not.  I don't criticize for results.  I criticize for decisions.  This was a bad decision.  Using Tyler Clippard was a really bad decision.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #972: April 11, 2014, 11:48:21 PM »
This is why this was NOT a "great game".  The Nats should not be losing like this to the barves over and over again.  It's not 2008.  IMO the Nats SHOULD be a much better team than the Barves given the talent on each team.  So sick of this......

meh - freak them

lucky ass braves are living on fumes - it's just a matter of time before the tides change

LOVED the comeback tonight - Nats showed so much moxie - got TONS of hits against this vaunted "pitching" and barves just lost a series to the LOL Mets

enjoy it nages - it's not going to last

Offline PC

« Reply #973: April 11, 2014, 11:49:23 PM »

Oh, the Braves aren't nearly as good as they were last year.  It's not even close.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #974: April 11, 2014, 11:50:10 PM »
Dan Kolko ‏@masnKolko  49s
Groin tweak for Jayson Werth, per Matt Williams. Will be reevaluated tomorrow.